• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Made in Abyss, My Hero Academia Win Big at Crunchyroll's Anime Awards

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Those series all took home their own prizes, albeit in different categories, except Trigger's Little Witch Academia which went home empty-handed.

Actually Rakugo Shinju went home empty handed as well.

Man, Twitch chat was such a blast. It went from MY HERO AWARDS RESIDENTSLEEPER, to PogChamp’s everywhere when Made in Abyss got AOTY.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:16 am Reply with quote
I can smell the salt. Don't worry, I'm sure OPM season 2 will hog all the awards next year.
micah007

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:19 am Reply with quote
Kazuma was robbed.
anton.barbieri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:22 am Reply with quote
It bloody helps when the group (Crunchyroll) advertise the hell out of their favoured series (My Hero Academia) for the weeks leading up to award voting process. Only going into the final days did they start to shill for other series/characters ect... This is a prime example of why any award show/ceremony is bullshit and isn't to be taken seriously.
Skydrop

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:26 am Reply with quote
Nice to see award goes to right anime as deserve 8-) But manga award is kinda weird :?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:28 am Reply with quote
Every anime nominated had an equal chance at winning. If you want your favorite show to win, advocate for it on the social media of your choice and get other people to vote for it. Blaming it all on a shadowy conspiracy is just called sour grapes.
MsVitchDa2nd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:31 am Reply with quote
Glad they did the plot twist victory ending
Araragifeels

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:35 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll Anime Award was biased. Crunchyroll need to make two different voting system. First vote system is for Best Anime OP, ED, more (Judge only: from the anime Industry) and Second vote system is for Most Popular Anime OP, ED, more (fans only: Worldwide audience)
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:36 am Reply with quote
Better than the last time! Rolling Eyes
fantaselion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:39 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Every anime nominated had an equal chance at winning.

HAHA, oh thats a riot.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:41 am Reply with quote
I managed to catch the second half of this on Twitch. I've got to say, I don't think I've ever seen an awards show that wasn't at least a little painful to watch, with people trying a little too hard to be entertaining.

Glad that Made in Abyss got AoTY. I don't think anyone will deny that My Hero Academia got too many awards - while they seem to have tried to iron out some of the kinks in the selection process from last year, they still have a ways to go. As for the awards that MHA got, I'll give it best action and hero (seems fairly fair) and I won't dispute best boy and best girl (although Chise should have won), but best animation, opening, and villain? Best animation should have gone to either Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid or A Silent Voice (you really can't beat KyoAni). Tanya Degurechaff should have taken best villain (though I haven't seen the second half of MHA s2, so I don't have an opinion on Stain), and I still can't believe Inuyashiki wasn't even nominated for best OP. Honestly, that category was kind of crap, since Re:Creators didn't get a nod either.

The rest of the awards seem like fairly solid choices.

Animeking1108 wrote:
I can smell the salt. Don't worry, I'm sure OPM season 2 will hog all the awards next year.

But the series won't be on Crunchyroll, so who knows. I'd like to think CR actually lets the judges be impartial, but it may not be the case. That's the problem with having the awards be given by a company who stands to benefit if their shows win. I'm not saying they are biasing the results, I'm just saying it is a possibility.

Last edited by G S Palmer on Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:41 am Reply with quote
fantaselion wrote:

HAHA, oh thats a riot.
If you think everything that doesn't work out in your favor is a shadowy Illuminati conspiracy, you aren't serious about anime.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:42 am Reply with quote
Might as well have called it the My Hero Academia awards.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If you think everything that doesn't work out in your favor is a shadowy Illuminati conspiracy, you aren't serious about anime.

Dude, Crunchyroll was hyping the shot out of My Hero Academia for weeks before the awards. Its pretty clear that many other shows on Crunchyroll didn't get any advertisement.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:50 am Reply with quote
Made in Abyss as anime of the year is a bit surprising if only because I thought that one of the more politically correct shows would get it. Than again they did carefully setup the manga category so that it would promote the right narrative for a western awards show. Not to sound skeptical but if they had put any of the big name manga into the manga category it probably would have turned out different.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9