• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ICv2: Attack on Titan's 1st Volume Sells 21,000 in U.S. in 2017

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:20 am Reply with quote
Nice Cool
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:55 am Reply with quote
Interesting, even as someone that's not a fan of Attack On Titan I was expecting something like 100,000 at least. So 21,000 is somewhat of a surprise for me, but that still seems pretty good.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Yuri is outselling Yaoi in Physical Books in the USA, at least at the the moment. I know yaoi is far more popular and has a way larger subculture, but from my understanding and what I've heard from yaoi fans is that a lot of yaoi was/is hitting snags with the main company that had licsensed a lot of yaoi titles, I forget the name of said publishers off hand unfortunately. Plus it seems like some of the recently licensed titles by other companies aren't in print just yet. With Yuri I know there's a solid amount of titles that have been picked up by some of the bigger publishes that are currently in circulation. Which I know it's only a fairly recent development in the last few or couple of years that more than a couple Yuri titles are being published, which I'm glad companies have made a biggger push in that direction. Also I'm not certain if "My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness" Counts as yuri but in terms of LGBT manga it's definitely one of the more highly acclaimed and I've heard at least that it's selling well, which makes me happy because I think it's a positive and insightful series.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:28 am Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
Interesting, even as someone that's not a fan of Attack On Titan I was expecting something like 100,000 at least. So 21,000 is somewhat of a surprise for me, but that still seems pretty good.

Consider the first volume originally came out in 2012. That seems pretty good to me, especially if this isn't counting digital. But I don't know of anything direct to compare it to anyway.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:22 am Reply with quote
@Kicksville and @HoboSoup: even if this releases counts digital and phys. sales, 21K is still for last year a decent sales figure. I think given the franchise's popularity in the U.S., AoT vol. #1 in English has perhaps amassed over 100k in sales by now (digital and phys.).
XSp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
Notably, I think it was early this year that Humble Bundle had a sales with a whole ton of volumes for Attack on Titan...
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
That's a good number I guess.

Quote:
In addition, ICv2 reported that "a rough calculation shows yuri outselling yaoi in bookstores by a slim margin,"

Nice.
sniper_samurai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:47 pm Reply with quote
#815349 wrote:
Notably, I think it was early this year that Humble Bundle had a sales with a whole ton of volumes for Attack on Titan...

That bundle had all of AoT that was currently published in English at the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1