• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Improvement of moderation system

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Hello mods. I am making this thread in hope that the moderation system will be improved. What I mean by this is the lack of communication and one-sidedness when it comes to moderation. I got off moderation a couple weeks ago (December 8) after 4 months (Began on July 26). Let me repeat it again: 4 months. Why is that? This is going to be a long post, but I'll simplify it as much as I can with all the important material. Skip to the bottom for my recommendations, but you'll miss out on why I said that.

Before that, I am letting you know that I left out mod names on purpose. If requested, I'll name them...well, the most important one first (unless that one wants to out his/herself first). This isn't about what I did to get myself moderated. Also, I sent this to a mod first so that they can read it before I posted it and they did not find a problem. With that said....

Order of events:

July 26: I was placed under moderation by a certain mod for "a month" (Exact words the mod gave me. No days, hours, minutes, seconds were given) .

August 26: If I did my math right, I should have been released from moderation on this day or the next day or maybe it was the day before this day. I don't know. If not, then I assume (by common decency) I should have received a message from that same certain mod or another mod stating that my moderation was extended or being discussed. I received nothing. I waited for the next day just in case.

August 27: The most logical and safest thing that I did to protect myself: I messaged another mod in hopes that they could answer why I am still under moderation. The mod was recently active so I hoped for a reply. Mind you, the message I sent was very nice.

August 29: The mod did not reply (Instead they sent my message to that certain mod, which I would be told later). So instead of messaging another mod (because who knows if they'll reply or not), I doomed myself by messaging that certain mod.

What I stated in the message to that certain mod:

Quote:
:
Me: July 26 at 9 PM

A certain mod wrote:
Since you have repeatedly ignored this you are being placed on moderation for a period of 1 month.

Me: August 29 at 9 PM

Still under moderation. So it would appear I broke the rules again. What did I do this time and why was I not notified that my period was extended? Or maybe my period wasn't extended and I'm getting loop-holed for whatever reason since you never specified the days, hours, minutes, seconds in that 1 month? I waited 3 days and nothing changed so I'm asking now.

My feelings were neutral. I simply stated facts and asked the questions that needed to be asked because mod logic was never explained to me. This was the response I got:

Quote:
:
A certain mod wrote:
You can drop the attitude for starters. As for your moderation we've been discussing whether or not to extend your moderation. We were already doing that actually before you ever messaged [removed mod name]. However, we have jobs and personal lives outside of ANN, and we are not at your beck and call. We are not taking you off until we agree on exactly how to proceed with you and compare opinions. If that takes a few extra days because we have lives and can't discuss the topic immediately then so be it. We are volunteers, not paid staff. We're leaning towards taking you off moderation, but with some clear stipulations in regards to your posting. You'll have an answer soon.

Considering I know how that certain mod operates, I wasn't even surprised that he/she misinterpreted what I said as an attitude. As for the first bold statement, did you notice how that certain mod knew about the message I sent to the other mod? That was 2 days prior. Instead of notifying me themselves about my moderation, they decide to withhold info as the time period I was given never happened, which caused me to continue what I did. As for the second bold statement, I responded with a logical example (in regards to common decency) and gave facts that countered those statements about personal lives and stuff:

Quote:
:
Not to sound rude (don't want you misinterpreting again), but your personal lives are irrelevant to this because I saw you post a comment on August 27th (and mainly because you are a mod). This goes to the other mods as well, btw. I'd sum this up as abuse of power. Is the mod job that easy to get and keep? So clearly you only had time to make that post, but for nothing else, right? lol

You notified a user that they were put on moderation with a time period of 1 month. If you were discussing with the other mods prior to the deadline of 1 month then there is no problem, but once that 1 month period is over and you all are still discussing, you or another mod should have notified the user. Why? Because there was a time limit given (which expired), and you (general) should know that it is common sense to follow up on it.

If you order for a pizza delivery (you also give them your number to call you) and they tell you they'll be there in 20 minutes and actually are on the dot, you wouldn't have a problem. If they tell you 20 minutes and that time period has passed, would you not start wondering what happened to your pizza? I want to assume that you're a nice person, but for the sake of this example, there isn't a choice. Knowing the nice person that you are, you decide to wait 5 more minutes since there might be traffic or something. After 5 minutes, you're left wondering what is happening. The pizza guy arrives 9 minutes after the time you were told, which ends up as 29 minutes (You can't say 29 without 20.). Common sense tells you to ask what happened and why didn't they use common sense to call and notify you that order would be late? The delivery guy tells you they have a job and that they are not at your beck and call. Are you telling me that you wouldn't find an issue there?

If our roles were switched, I wouldn't have made a pathetic excuse as having jobs and personal lives. Once I tell you a specified time and that time is close to expiring (or the day before it expires), I'd follow up on it and notify you on the updated situation because it is the right thing to do no matter if I'm getting paid or not. You would have been better off not telling me the time period from the start because I wouldn't have sent a message to the mods if you didn't.

As for the third bold statement (What I wanted from the start. Not a beck and call that said to me.), I said:

Quote:
:
Thank you so much for updating me on the situation. A simple two sentence message before or on the expired date was all that was needed. I'm sure you typed that within 1 minute so that it wouldn't take time out of your job and personal life. lol

If you were one of the mods involved in the discussion then this entire thread is pointless. Why?

September 1:

Quote:
:
A certain mod wrote:

I am informing you that after discussion the mods have decided to keep you on moderation. The reason we changed our minds was due to the belligerent PM response you sent last (The neutral and non-aggressive one with sound logic and factual evidence). In short you stuck your foot in your mouth and ruined your chance to get off moderation (Because I was the cause of lack of communication between mod and moderated user and how dare the moderated user accept such an excuse when it can be countered with evidence).

Do to this clearly antagonistic behavior...we are extending your moderation period. It is being extended by 2 more months for a total of 3 months. This period can be extended further if the mods feel that by the end of the period you have continued to show no improvement in your posts and attitude.

As you can see in that first paragraph. Not only did I "stuck your foot in your mouth" and ruined my chance because of something I did not cause... No amount of sense and evidence can be used against a mod. Are you sensing what I'm sensing after reading that? If it's power then you're right.

Regarding the second paragraph, I have been deemed antagonistic. I don't know how that certain mod repeated my message to the other mods. Did that certain mod repeat what I said word for word or conveniently phrased it in how they saw it? Who knows. Also, notice the 3 month extension to my moderation period.

My response:

Quote:
:
You've given me another time period. Considering the issue which caused me to send messages to you mods to begin with (which you clearly haven't admitted that you were also at fault not notifying the user.), it would have been logical and ideal to just state the Month, day, hour, minute, second to when the moderation period would end in this message instead of that vague 2 months, which you've clearly shown is a loophole, but instead I have to take the bait once again and play find the mod and ask the question. What month, day, hour, minute, second are in those 2 months?

No reply after that.

October 1: Considering I never got a response to my question that was suppose to help improve mod and moderated user communication to prevent history from repeating itself, I messaged another mod to ask them what date I should be expecting to be released. I never got a response.

October 26 and November 1: Still under moderation. Loop-hole must be in effect. I'll wait until we're not in the 3 month period so I won't "stuck my foot in my foot and ruin my chance to get off moderation."

November 27: We are no longer in 3 month loop-hole time period I was given. It is now 4 months. I have not received a message notifying me of my situation. History has now repeated itself. Words clearly mean nothing and I have been lied to. I had to message another mod and they kindly stated that they would inquire about it.

December 8: I am now free.

It took 4 and half months for me to be freed. I was told 3 months. If you checked that certain mods (or some other mods) post history, they were actively posting during those time periods. Oh, I forgot. Evidence cannot be used to support a case and I'm clearly being "antagonistic" by making this thread. Seems to me that these volunteer mods put so much work into banning/moderating people than releasing moderated users when they should both be equal. When I did something wrong, I got quick messages from that certain mod, but when it's time to release me....I have to wonder if they're still alive (and the post history shows that they are).

I was told by a mod that mods will lose track of a user under moderation. The mods forget when a users time is up. There's nothing automated about the process, so reinstating someone at the end of a ban period is entirely a matter of remembering to do it. Not like that matters because even when they remember, they (or more specially, a certain one) won't message you. Not only that, but they can see the forum posts to decide whether to accept or reject the post so the forgetting thing doesn't really hold.

With that said... What are the things that need improving for mods:

1. Communication with moderated users.
2. Giving dates on moderation period and being specific (What month, day, minute, second) and follow up on it. You can't follow up on it? Then let them know.
3. Remembering moderated users (There might be some pettiness involved which makes forgetting so easy).
4. Allow evidence to be used on you. Do not acknowledge what went wrong then still punish the user for it.
5. Being accountable when you cause things to happen. Don't say 1 month or 3 months then not free the user. That becomes a lie.

Yeah, I think that's it. It appears these issues have happened before to other users and nothing has changed. So now that I'm free after the BS I went through, that certain mod gets away scot-free without punishment for lying and all the other things mentioned above because that's just way it is.

Let's skip the whole 10 page debate (I doubt it'll end up that long. lol). This is real simple: Will you improve on these things? Yes or No.

Thank you for reading and I hope you mods (aside from one) misinterpret this because I've made it as clear as possible.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:16 am Reply with quote
We're looking into ways to improve things in the future. Unfortunately, my presence was pretty much extinct for several months this year because I was dealing with personal issues. Other mod presences were reduced as well, which resulted in a few mods dealing with all the reports, warnings, moderations, and other duties, which can take up to a few hours a day to handle depending upon the level of activity. As you can imagine, this can get tiring and isn't fair for only a few people to handle, especially since they have their own life and personal issues. We're in discussions right now on how we can improve.

As for removing moderation, reminders from those being moderated help a lot. We don't actually have any system in place that can tell us when a moderation is up, and it's up to us actively checking a thread routinely to remind ourselves when a moderation is over. Oftentimes we overlook it. Contacting us by PM, the way you did, and reminding us about the status is the best way to go about this if we're over your moderation period. Mods don't like to step on each other's toes, so if one specific mod put you on moderation and they aren't the one you PMed, we will want to double-check with the original mod first to make certain that the user should still be removed. If the original mod doesn't respond in a reasonable time, then the mod you contacted can make the decision. So just keep in mind that even though you PM us, it may take a few days for a response and then a few more days afterwards for any decision to be made. It's not an ideal system, but mods are here basically as volunteers.

I can't directly speak to other issues you brought up, but I wanted to address what I could.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
To be clear, moderation is never for a fixed amount of time. I apologize if you were told it was.

Moderation is not a punishment, but rather a way for us to monitor members that we don't quite trust to post properly. Without the option to moderate people, we'd just ban them.

Moderation is until you show that you should no longer be on moderation. It may be indefinite. Generally speaking, moderation should be for a minimum of 3 months, and it will be reviewed sometime after that 3 month period has elapsed. The discussion about whether a member should be removed from moderation could take a few hours, or a few weeks, depending on how strong the case is, and the availability of moderators who have interacted with the member.

Most of the time, if a member is moderated for more than 6 months, he should just be banned, however the moderators or admins may make a choice to allow someone to remain if we feel they have a lot to contribute to our forum with their "good posts" and the benefit of allowing them to remain outweighs the hassle of moderating them.

Every moderated member is extra work for our moderators, we would like you to be removed from moderation as fast as possible.

To address your questions directly:

Moderators should be informed that they are being put on moderation and why. This is a 1-way discussion with no appeal process.

2. Giving dates on moderation period and being specific (What month, day, minute, second) and follow up on it. You can't follow up on it? Then let them know.

No dates will be given. I apologize if they were given before.

3. Remembering moderated users (There might be some pettiness involved which makes forgetting so easy).

Best way to make sure we don't forget about you is to continue posting. Good posts are what get you out of moderation.

4. Allow evidence to be used on you. Do not acknowledge what went wrong then still punish the user for it.

Moderation is not a punishment. As stated above, there is no appeal process. The best way to "appeal" your moderation is with your subsequent posts. Good posts result in moderation being removed quicker.

5. Being accountable when you cause things to happen. Don't say 1 month or 3 months then not free the user. That becomes a lie.

Again, apologies, you should never have been given a date. The rest of this however is not applicable since there will be no dates given.

Christopher Macdonald
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
We're looking into ways to improve things in the future. Unfortunately, my presence was pretty much extinct for several months this year because I was dealing with personal issues. Other mod presences were reduced as well, which resulted in a few mods dealing with all the reports, warnings, moderations, and other duties, which can take up to a few hours a day to handle depending upon the level of activity. As you can imagine, this can get tiring and isn't fair for only a few people to handle, especially since they have their own life and personal issues. We're in discussions right now on how we can improve.

I can't directly speak to other issues you brought up, but I wanted to address what I could.

Tempest wrote:
To be clear, moderation is never for a fixed amount of time. I apologize if you were told it was.

Moderation is not a punishment, but rather a way for us to monitor members that we don't quite trust to post properly. Without the option to moderate people, we'd just ban them.

Moderation is until you show that you should no longer be on moderation. It may be indefinite. Generally speaking, moderation should be for a minimum of 3 months, and it will be reviewed sometime after that 3 month period has elapsed. The discussion about whether a member should be removed from moderation could take a few hours, or a few weeks, depending on how strong the case is, and the availability of moderators who have interacted with the member.

Most of the time, if a member is moderated for more than 6 months, he should just be banned, however the moderators or admins may make a choice to allow someone to remain if we feel they have a lot to contribute to our forum with their "good posts" and the benefit of allowing them to remain outweighs the hassle of moderating them.

Every moderated member is extra work for our moderators, we would like you to be removed from moderation as fast as possible.

To address your questions directly:

Moderators should be informed that they are being put on moderation and why. This is a 1-way discussion with no appeal process.

No dates will be given. I apologize if they were given before.

Best way to make sure we don't forget about you is to continue posting. Good posts are what get you out of moderation.

Moderation is not a punishment. As stated above, there is no appeal process. The best way to "appeal" your moderation is with your subsequent posts. Good posts result in moderation being removed quicker.

Again, apologies, you should never have been given a date. The rest of this however is not applicable since there will be no dates given.

Christopher Macdonald

Thank you both for responding. I've gained more perspective of things now. I hope some good comes from those discussions.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

Christopher Macdonald

Just to clear this matter up the reason the mods started using the 1 and 3 month periods for moderation is because users, including yourself KH91, when put on moderation demanded to know EXACTLY for how long. Having an undetermined period of time where we monitored users for improvement became a point of contention with users. "Well how long will I be on moderation?" Simply saying "until you show improvement" is very open ended and gives the user no idea of how long it could last. Hence the implementation of first time being placed on moderation starting at a MINIMUM of 1 month and second time being a MINIMUM of 3 months. We explained to users, and to you KH91, that periods of moderation could be extended as needed if no improvement, or not enough to be trusted off of moderation, was shown. The time frames were not set in stone but were minimum periods of time for which we would watch the users posts for signs of improvements. That was made clear to you and others placed on moderation so acting as if you were given a set date in stone and not told it could be altered is disingenuous of you KH91.

Now if Tempest says don't do that anymore then so be it. He's the boss. That means however we're going back to simply saying "until you show improvement" which could be anywhere from 1 day until eternity.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Now if Tempest says don't do that anymore then so be it. He's the boss. That means however we're going back to simply saying "until you show improvement" which could be anywhere from 1 day until eternity.

Here, just link people to this:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4990220#4990220
Very Happy

Also linked to from the FAQ: animenewsnetwork.com/faq#banned
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Well that certainly helps. Thanks boss.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Are all of KH91's posts still being manually approved? I have to say, it's annoying to see him flood the Talkback section with responses to month old stories. I've even spotted him posting speculation for countdowns that had already been revealed by the time the post went live.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:15 pm Reply with quote
He is off of moderation, as of this moment, which means his posts do not require approval from a staffer. However, if you witness such behavior continuing please report the posts. I will definitely mention your concern to the other mods in the Staff section and we will discuss it. Thanks!
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:47 pm Reply with quote
that's usually an entire page and half of articles. that still ok?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:10 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
that's usually an entire page and half of articles. that still ok?

Moving forward with any new articles or new posts (as of 3/4) yes that's fine. We do ask though that users to limit reports to just 1 post from a particular user in a singular thread. So please don't report 3 posts from a user in a single discussion (unless they are all very rude/insulting and egregious of course). Reporting 1 post from a user in various threads (especially if it shows a pattern of behavior) is fine. It gives moderators ample examples of any offending behavior by a user to use in our discussions as to what to do with a user. We do ask users to make sure they are reporting legitimate posts (as in legitimately violating the letter or spirit of the rules) and not simply reporting a user due to a personal problem or grudge.

Just as a more general FYI if you try and report a post but you get a message that says "this post has been reported already" that means there is an open report already for that post. A post can be reported multiple times if there is no open report in the staff section, but if there is an open report already it won't let you report a post again while it is open. I only mention that because if you see 1 post of a user has been reported already by some other user please don't go report a different post of that offending user in the same discussion.

Thanks!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1