• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vice & Luna - Eyelita: Battle Angel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:55 am Reply with quote
Personally I didn't mind the eyes. That is what anime eyes would look like in reality and it just highlights her non-human nature.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:59 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Personally I didn't mind the eyes. That is what anime eyes would look like in reality and it just highlights her non-human nature.

Making the eyes anime doesn't work when you don't make the rest of the person anime.

If they wanted to blend the two, they should've done rotoscoping or full filtering or something.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
I have watched anime for a long time but I still found the oversized eyes on Alita to be distracting. The big issue is what the average person will think and while this isn't a Mars Needs Moms mistake there is a reason why people are worried that this will lower the odds of the movie being successful.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:43 am Reply with quote
A cameo by those enemies in the Super Mario 64 haunted house, perhaps?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:29 pm Reply with quote
yeah those eyes when directly compared to 'normal' looking people is really really distracting.

Well so far almost all live action movies has been trash compared to the original with a few exceptions.

I'm hoping for the best even though i probably shouldn't but i suppose it helps that i've never read the original so at the very least for me if its bad it won't be because it didn't adapt the original very well.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote
No one’s gonna get the joke in the last panel, unless they’ve read Ge ge ge no Kitaro. Cool
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
In Lord of the Rings, they sized up the size of the mouth of the actor playing the Mouth of Sauron. The effect worked because the rest of his face was obscured by a featureless helmet, so it wasn't so glaringly out of proportion with the rest of his face. Also, the intent was to make the audience think he looked more intimidating and monstrous, and playing to the uncanny valley certainly gives people an instinctual revulsion. It's the difference between thoughtfully using an effect, and vaguely doing stuff because it seemed like a good idea at the time. Unless the intent really was to make everyone grossed out when they look at her face.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

Making the eyes anime doesn't work when you don't make the rest of the person anime.

Back in the 90's--when nobody in the mainstream knew this stuff--we basically had the Six Blind Men and the Elephant trying to explain "what Anime was":

The first man handled DBZ and said, "This 'anime' thing is clearly kung fu!"
The second man handled Akira and Cowboy Bebop and said, "This 'anime' thing is cool R-rated stuff you can't show your kids!"
The third woman handled the early Sailor Moon fandom, said "This 'anime' thing is clearly cute girls with pink and blue hair!" and turned into Kim Kardashian.
The fourth man looked at the funny style of Asian character design and said "Any man can see, the appeal of this 'anime' thing is the big cute jeepers-peepers eyes!"
We don't know what happened to the fifth and sixth, but it's said they worked for Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon, and went on to give us Samurai Jack, Avatar, and the first Teen Titans series. Razz

...Personally, I didn't know #4 Guy was still around, must be getting pretty old by this point.
Although the fact that he's Robert Rodriguez (who almost gave us that live-action/CGI Jetsons movie) would explain a lot about why he's still stuck in the mid-90's.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Okay... I don't know why... but I really liked this one... I guess it was the laughter just ending in "Oh".
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
While the CGI in "teaser" trailers is rarely final, I think the main reason Battle Angel got pushed back to December is to fill in the scheduling hole left by the Avatar sequel getting delayed two more years.

A December 2018 release date is probably for the best anyway since, while it still has plenty of competition, summer 2018 is densely packed with big franchise films and at least there's no December Star Wars movie to compete with this year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
A December 2018 release date is probably for the best anyway since, while it still has plenty of competition, summer 2018 is densely packed with big franchise films and at least there's no December Star Wars movie to compete with this year.

Also, with "Solo: a SW Story" out of the way for summer (and maybe fewer to come after Last Jedi's fallout), and no big December scifi epic, studios have become too addiction-dependent on the idea that a certain film WOULD open on a certain date:
Disney expects another Alice/Beauty in March spring-vacation, studios are currently fighting over whether Valentine's day means Fifty Shades or Black Panther & Deadpool, the entire industry leaves the first May weekend alone for Marvel, and after nine years of Avatar, Tron, the Hobbit and Star Wars, studios literally wouldn't know what to do if a big-budget geek-scifi epic didn't open the week before Christmas.

...Peter Lorre: Girl Android, however, still isn't it.
(If the movie flops, expect a lot of Marty Feldman "Young Frankenstein" Internet gif-memes on Monday morning, saying "Well, they were wrong then, weren't they? Shocked ")
MetalEmolga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Except typical anime eyes aren't supposed to make characters look non-human. There supposed to make them seem emotionally expressive. The Battle Angel completely missed the point. And makes it obvious that the people creating the movie have no understanding about what they are doing.

Last edited by MetalEmolga on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Anybody else think of Code Lyoko when hearing "Eyelita"? It literally sounds like Aelita
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
MetalEmolga wrote:
Except typical anime eyes aren't supposed to make characters look non-human. There supposed to make them seem either emotionally expressive. The Battle Angel completely miss the point. And makes it obvious that the people creating the movie have no understanding about what they are doing.

I would have to agree. Anime isn't just about big eyes, the concept of which was basically inspired by Disney's big eyes for our characters (and Tezuka seeing the appeal in expressing emotions far more easily with larger eyes).

Ultimate N wrote:
Anybody else think of Code Lyoko when hearing "Eyelita"? It literally sounds like Aelita

Right here. I sure do miss that show, especially seeing as I haven't yet seen the final episodes.
MetalEmolga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:48 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
MetalEmolga wrote:
Except typical anime eyes aren't supposed to make characters look non-human. There supposed to make them seem either emotionally expressive. The Battle Angel completely miss the point. And makes it obvious that the people creating the movie have no understanding about what they are doing.

I would have to agree. Anime isn't just about big eyes, the concept of which was basically inspired by Disney's big eyes for our characters (and Tezuka seeing the appeal in expressing emotions far more easily with larger eyes).

I don't want to sound pedantic. But it originated with Jun'ichi Nakahara. He created the style by drawing Japanese women's faces with their eyes three times their original size. His art style became so popular with women that it became the default way for drawing characters in women's magazines and shojo manga. Tezuka Osamu used to draw shojo manga and that's were he learned the style.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2