• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Slogging Through Children of the Whales

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:43 am Reply with quote
So you're saying this show isn't about kids whose parents spend too much on mobile games?
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
I'm curious enough to see where the story is going that I'd watch a second season, but what really bothered me was how much they dragged the obvious reveal that spoiler[it was the Whale that caused the super-powered children to die prematurely]. Also, unlike the reviewers, I hated Ryodari with a passion, and I don't think the idea of child soldiers is inherently wrong when their super powers are their tribe's only defense against an army that wants to kill everyone in it.
NormanS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:29 pm Reply with quote
When i first watched it, i didn't know what i wanted from this show. But i know i didn't like the story in the end. The art is beautiful and the world is pretty fascinating, i wouldn't mind if the story was a copy-paste of Gargantia and have it as a slice-of-life or something.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:13 pm Reply with quote
From the blurb I assume Nick D and Steve are not big fans of Children of the Whales. I actually think this is a good show with promise and liked it enough to be looking forward to the apparent upcoming sequel.

The show reminded me of Shin Sekai Yori, and I was happy to see another anime dealing with dystopian societies. Whales is obviously not on the same quality level of SSY, but it should get better with more seasons.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I haven't finished the show yet (I'm up to episode 9) but I quite like it. For me, it shows an interesting world with a compelling story and characters I care about.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote
While it wasn’t the best show licensed by Netflix (or the season it was taken from), I have to agree with those who thought it was good. I mean I finished it in two days so I clearly wasn’t as disinterested in the show as Nick or Steve. I don’t know that I would say it was so good that I would have wished it wasn’t scooped up by Netflix, but I enjoyed it and I’d be down for a second season. Also the dance Aima did during the sandstorm was beautifully animated.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Steve said in article wrote:
This bothered me SO MUCH. Obviously the show agrees that child soldiers are an awful thing, but it also never directly confronts that? There aren't any serious consequences for the Mud Whale when they use children this way, they just end up winning the battle. I'm not saying that I need to see these children die in battle (because wow I really don't), but for this serious a topic,

I haven't watched the show, so maybe in the context of the show what you said is correct. In the context of our current society, it is most assuredly correct. But if we are talking about survival, where every body matters; then yeah, I would be arming boys and girls too and teaching them how to use those weapons properly. Survival always trumps innocence. Our government, culture, and economy allow us the option of giving our kids this period of innocence. Take that away and all bets are off.

There should be no problem having child soldiers in an anime show, without needing to have moral or social commentary, when you are depicting a society or civilization different than ours.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I find Steve's comment on child soldiers kind of bizarre. The show makes very, very clear that the only chance the people on the Mud Whale have of surviving is if every person capable of using thymia, regardless of age, pitches in. Otherwise, they are going to be slaughtered down to the last person. Given the context, it is not to be wondered that nobody "confronts" the issue or that there aren't serious consequences for doing it. The consequences are that they didn't get wiped out.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Steve said in article wrote:
This bothered me SO MUCH. Obviously the show agrees that child soldiers are an awful thing, but it also never directly confronts that? There aren't any serious consequences for the Mud Whale when they use children this way, they just end up winning the battle. I'm not saying that I need to see these children die in battle (because wow I really don't), but for this serious a topic,

I haven't watched the show, so maybe in the context of the show what you said is correct. In the context of our current society, it is most assuredly correct. But if we are talking about survival, where every body matters; then yeah, I would be arming boys and girls too and teaching them how to use those weapons properly. Survival always trumps innocence. Our government, culture, and economy allow us the option of giving our kids this period of innocence. Take that away and all bets are off.

There should be no problem having child soldiers in an anime show, without needing to have moral or social commentary, when you are depicting a society or civilization different than ours.

Haven't seen the show either but going by this article it sounds like the protagonist were offered some old god power in exchange for either there life or emotion and chose to turn it down and instead used children in the battle.

ie they decided that the lives of the children was worth less than there emotion or life, that's not something a show should just gloss over.
TheZennvirus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Main issues I find with this review are first: the reviewers obviously watched this one after several others (can't really blame them, that's their job), and watching several series back-to-back leaves you... uncaring, and second: they want to treat this one as stand-alone season.

An emotion-driven show like this must be approached without preconceptions, expectations or anything else, you need a truly 'blind' watch (no pun intended). There is so much information going on the background that you really HAVE to pay attention to what is going on. While I do take some issue about the 'overflowing emotion' that prevales this series with the brevity of many of the characters' lives (screen time or otherwise), both things must be seen as proper 'world mechanics' when you consider their importance to the plot. And their complain with the pacing has no bias, for the series goes at a great pace for a 12-episode gig and leaves you hungry for more. It is at such points where watching it as the 3rd, 4th, 5th series in a row shows how your ability for appreciations is all but depleted.

I think they should give this series a second chance, it is a great premise, good build up and nice cliffhanger ending. Can't wait for Season 2. Viz Media, I'll be buying the manga in the meantime.

My advise to anyone wanting to watch this series: watch this one first before going for the big ones, or watch it after resting 2-3 days, and watch it twice. There is so much to take in and a second watch will help you clarify those things you might have missed. And remember: watch it without bias.

Good viewing to you.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote
My thoughts exactly! This article was beautiful!
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Ouni/Umehara Yuichiro was pretty much the only reason I watched the show, and I was pretty satisfied in that regard. I did want more of the series as a whole, but it wasn’t a terrible viewing experience. Very pretty and with lovely music.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
From the blurb I assume Nick D and Steve are not big fans of Children of the Whales. I actually think this is a good show with promise and liked it enough to be looking forward to the apparent upcoming sequel.

The show reminded me of Shin Sekai Yori, and I was happy to see another anime dealing with dystopian societies. Whales is obviously not on the same quality level of SSY, but it should get better with more seasons.

My thoughts exactly. While obviously not on the same level of SSY (which is by far the anime of the decade for me), Whales was a really nice series. It also has one of the most beautiful soundtracks of last year's crop.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Haven't seen the show either but going by this article it sounds like the protagonist were offered some old god power in exchange for either there life or emotion and chose to turn it down and instead used children in the battle.

ie they decided that the lives of the children was worth less than there emotion or life, that's not something a show should just gloss over.

Let's see, choice of human sacrifice to the Elder Gods and being turned into computers. Not much of a choice, It is something that can be glossed over, because the answer is easy. Also, child soldiers are not an alien concept to the human race.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

I have seen the show and TarsTarkas's guess was correct the first time. Their choice was between spoiler[mass suicide, becoming victims of genocide, or using child soldiers, and the child soldiers are the old god power they're getting in exchange for life/emotion (not that anyone asked them).]

There's some reasonable discussion of what that power is worth, but the disgust with the use of child soldiers seems really off-base considering what the alternative was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3