• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha Comics Announces 5 New Digital First Manga Licenses for April

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#WholeLottaTalada

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:33 am Reply with quote
Ok, awesome. Where's Billy Bat and Historie?
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:04 am Reply with quote
>You Got Me, Sempai! (Mairimashita, Sempai)
This is cool.

>Kurosaki-kun no Iinari
...no thanks. The guy is abusive. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Another high-school romance, set against a background of a fierce dormitory rivalry—yep, it's Romeo and Juliet set in modern-day Japanese high school."

The premise written for this story does not seem enthusiastic at all, and for this reason does not come off as making this story exciting. Still I am curious how this modern retelling of Romeo and Juliet would play out the climax and ending of the original story.

Anyway I am liking that Kodansha is making more of their titles available digitally as it means I can conveniently collect them without worrying about space. Although if I like the series enough I might decide to buy the physical copies when they become available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:40 am Reply with quote
It's senpai, NOT sempai. I see the translators at Kodansha are still terrible.
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:22 am Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
The premise written for this story does not seem enthusiastic at all, and for this reason does not come off as making this story exciting. Still I am curious how this modern retelling of Romeo and Juliet would play out the climax and ending of the original story.

Anyway I am liking that Kodansha is making more of their titles available digitally as it means I can conveniently collect them without worrying about space. Although if I like the series enough I might decide to buy the physical copies when they become available.

Yeah, it's pretty bad tbh. The series is pretty unique as a shounen romance especially since it takes spoiler[the Horimiya approach and gets the leads together early.] Even something as generic as "Shakespeare like it's never been seen before" would serve the title better.
katscradle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
It's senpai, NOT sempai. I see the translators at Kodansha are still terrible.

While I’ve found something to be desired with the KC's translations I’ve tried there is a linguistic reason for this. It may be せんぱい but ん is transliterated with the “m” for pronunciation because of the following ぱ which begins with p alters the consonant. This also happens when followed by other kana starting with m and b.
Do you call 天麩羅 tenpura or tempura for example?
Honestly there is a lot of funny ways rômaji can bug me too but, if one way allows speakers to better pronounce words I generally accept it.

As for these digital releases while it’s good to see more I suppose, I’ve been having trouble keeping track of them. Even with a page on their website. Plus I seem to remember Kore wa Koi no Hanashi was supposedly picked up digitally almost a year ago but, hasn’t been released yet that I could find.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:

Yeah, it's pretty bad tbh. The series is pretty unique as a shounen romance. Even something as generic as "Shakespeare like it's never been seen before" would serve the title better.

Really. That seems promising, and I am curious to read it as I want to see how they handle the climax given the setting. However, I still overall want to give a try as it seems like it would potentially be a good story. Thanks for sharing this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1