• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Ai Tenchi Muyo, Live-Action Assassination Classroom Films

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeesh, at least license TM OVA 4. Not that the third didn't do irreparable damage to the OVA continuity as it was, but at least hypothetically some people might want that one (though nobody's talking about it). Wasn't Ai Tenchi Muyo just a tourism promotion series? It's like Funimation doesn't know Tenchi Muyo is largely a dead franchise.

I suppose Ai Tenchi Muyo can't be any worse than OVA 3, an anime my body rather shut down my gallbladder than finish rewatching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:32 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wasn't Ai Tenchi Muyo just a tourism promotion series?

This is true. The series received sponsorship from a city in Okayama prefecture to promote tourism for the area.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
They didn't announce the dub cast but it has been known since February thanks to Sherry Lynn & the people from TenchiForum that they brought back the original cast, including Ryoko and excluding Washu & Ayeka, and the SAG Database has it listed as being dubbed at American Music Industries which if I'm not mistaken, is the same studio where OVA 3 was dubbed at.

As for OVA 4, good luck to FUNi on that one because Japan went with a different production committee for that series and one of the main companies is Pony Canyon so if they're the licensor here then hopefully the same happens with FUNi & OVA 4 that happened with Sentai & Cutie Honey Universe because regardless of it's quality, PonyCan sitting on that series and doing nothing would be very dumb.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:07 pm Reply with quote
The division of PonyCan that worked on OVA4 isn't the same one as Ballroom, Yuki Yuna, etc. In fact it's also the one that worked on Attack on Titan.

This should not cause issues with a license.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:41 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I suppose Ai Tenchi Muyo can't be any worse than OVA 3, an anime my body rather shut down my gallbladder than finish rewatching.

Ai Tenchi Muyo is pretty much crap.but hey, I'm fine with OVA 3. Once you look at what went on and connect it with everything else it's a brilliant story.

OVA4 is just weird. It's just connecting tissue. about 40% epilogue to OVA3, 50% prologue to War on Geminar, and 10% "remember GXP? That guy's still out there." Nothing really happens. No fights, no romance, a little hijinks and a lot of exposition.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Me,who has only seen the first two Tenchi OVAs: "That's ALSO Tenchi Muyo? o___O"
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
OVA4 is just weird. It's just connecting tissue. about 40% epilogue to OVA3, 50% prologue to War on Geminar, and 10% "remember GXP? That guy's still out there." Nothing really happens. No fights, no romance, a little hijinks and a lot of exposition.

So it's just OVA 3 again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Master Luc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering why did they stop dubbing the live action?!
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Ai Tenchi Muyo's mostly skippable at any rate. It has no continuity with the OVA series and is easily among the weaker quality titles of the franchise. The 4th OVA series would have it least made more sense to license due to its connection to the past 3 OVAs and at least making an effort to interweave events between the third OVA and War on Geminar.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Should've licensed OVA 4 over this. If I recall Ai Tenchi Muyo wasn't very good and more of a promotion series.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:11 pm Reply with quote
eh, this wasn't very good, but I'll probably watch it again. And buy it too since i have the rest of the franchise on my shelf. Hopefully OVA 4 isnt too far behind
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
If this gets us OVA 4, and an eventually OVA rerelease with 1-4 im down.

Still waiting on geminar 2, and Id like an OVA that takes place post GXP and Geminar, so far ova 3 and 4 have been prior to both, like someone said acting to flesh out the main ova to the gxp and geminar spinoff.

I actually dont think ai was that bad all things considered, and much prefer the art style to ova 3 and gxp, but nothing tops ova 1 and 2.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:11 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:

So it's just OVA 3 again.

No. it wasn't really told well but the second half is packed. We know what Tenchi is, what Tokimi (and sisters) was doing, Kagato was revisited, we saw a weird image of the future from 1000s of years in future. And personally I love Ryoko demolishing that ship- twice.
It had a problem of telling not showing but a ton happened.

OVA 4 was purely explanation and filling in gaps. It's nice to see Kenshi grow up a little and I personally hope it means we get a Geminar sequel that properly connects them back together... but I doubt OVA4 really proved Kajishima is the guy to write/direct his own story anymore. He needs a collaborator/editor to tell him he''s e indulgent again.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:05 am Reply with quote
Master Luc wrote:
I was wondering why did they stop dubbing the live action?!

Probably because the people who will buy the live-action Assassination Classroom features will be the hardcore fans who have to have every piece of that franchise.

I'm not one of them. I'm just staying with the animated show... I generally DON'T like live-action adaptations of animated series or comics.

It's probably not worth the expense for Funimation to commission an English dub for the 5-10 additional people who will buy a Blu release because of an English audio track for a live-action film.

As far as live-action dubbing goes --
It's even more hit-and-miss than dubbing animation is, period.
Anime has the built-in problem that they don't pay people the most money to redub these shows and the pool of actors is limited anyway because of where people live, who they know, and frankly whoever wants to work for the amount of money a voiceover job pays! When they can, the more talented guys who just want to act go into higher-paying jobs for videogames and American-produced animated series. The people who are more fanatical about anime and WANT to be part of the industry will end end as ADR voice directors, voice casting, script writers, etc. Nothing wrong with that, btw, but you HAVE to be branched out and do more because you generally can't live on "dub" money.

I've rarely seen a WELL-DUBBED live-action adaptation of a foreign film in English. Heck, I've seen other-language adaptations of English-language films and I haven't care for a lot of those, either! There are far well-dubbed animated films out there as there is.

The problem is that expectations for voices to "match" the visuals are even stronger I think for live-action than animation which is drawings, not real-life.

They usually end up treating live-action dubs like a joke and the redub voices generally match up HORRIBLY with the live-action actors. I wouldn't expect someone from Tokyo to speak in English exactly like my next-door neighbor or a guy from Deep South/Louisiana! You expect some kind of accent (that matches the visuals) if you're the least bit more than provincial. For instance, Mary and the Witch's Flower is based on an English children's story and they did the right thing casting British actors for the English dub of that film!
OTOH, when Sony dubbed the 1994 Street Fighter II anime feature into English they DIDN'T bother to cast English actors who could speak with accents that MATCHED characters of various nationalities so you literally had a Cammy (British) character speaking with a FLAT Mid-Atlantic American accent and likewise Dhalsim (Indian) speaking with an American accent, too.

Besides the issues of voice-matching and accents, there's the acting. Again, for live-action it can be very over-the-top and treated irreverently. It's fine for something like Cutie Honey (2004) which was already farcical in Japanese to begin with(!) but for more serious films or even a Godzilla film it's detracting...
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:36 am Reply with quote
Anyone else think the girls' designs for this latest Tenchi iteration are sub-par? To me they're as generic and forgettable as they come, which is a real shame since the outlandish, colorful designs were always part of the franchise's appeal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2