• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Are "Upscaled" Blu-Rays Worth The Upgrade?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
You can also get lossless audio and scratchproof discs into tthe bargain...

It's easier to go for the double-dip in PAL-land, as you're also getting rid of NTSC-PAL conversion artefacts, or PAL speed-up.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
I tend to check blu-ray.com reviews when deciding whether or not to buy an upscale. While they don't do side-by-side comparisons or anything, they go into a lot of detail both on the technical side (ie video/audio encoding formats, resolution) but also overall presentation. ("The colors are vibrant, but there is visible aliasing and mouth movements often look jagged")
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raikuro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:43 am Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
You can also get lossless audio and scratchproof discs into tthe bargain...

Yup, these are usually my only reasons to upgrade, not because of the visuals being "worth" it, but more to future-proof my collection. Already have had to deal with too many out of print series become worthless because of microscopic scratches making the dvds skip during the best parts.
Also sometimes to save shelf space since a single Blu-ray case can be preferable to being clogged up with 8 dvds for one single series.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
Well I have read Amazon reviews where they said watching ZZ Gundam on Blu-Ray was pretty much worthless. The high-definition didn't work on that show apparently.
marek1712

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Japan's Q-TEC post-production studio has an upscale process that somehow keeps the image in 29.97 interlaced

What blasphemy is this!?
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I see the first comment of the thread already addressed what I wanted to say. Seriously, A/B the audio for Gunslinger Girl. Even if there isn't much of a video upgrade, the audio upgrade is quite significant.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:42 pm Reply with quote
{Edit}: Whether you were being facetious or not wishing death on people who simply created a company you don't like is rude and ignorant. I suggest you not do it again. ~ Psycho 101
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
A follow-up question, wouldn't one of the greatest benefits of BD releases of old shows be for the audio if they still have the original tracks still available. Audio would always be compressed on DVDs.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:44 pm Reply with quote
If most R1 releases were not inexpensive upgrading to upscale BD's would be a careful decision. I recently bought Gungrave on BD, and while I know that the video quality would probably not be that different compared to the DVD's, the $35 or so I spent are easily justifiable for all the shelf space I can save.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Viz's "upscaling" of Ranma 1/2 looks pretty good on Blu, but that's because they were using Japanese remastered film sources.
Their Sailor Moon, however, I've heard enough horror stories from reviews about lab-tweaking of TV sources, that I wisely decided to stick with the DVD, and someone else will have to comment.

Not sure how Card Captor Sakura upgraded from film or TV, so I'll also have to defer comment about whether it was worth paying for the $150 complete set.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Well I have read Amazon reviews where they said watching ZZ Gundam on Blu-Ray was pretty much worthless. The high-definition didn't work on that show apparently.
ZZ Gundam was a remaster, not a digital upscale. On top of that, the BDs look MUCH better than the DVDs.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I've pretty much committed myself to upgrading whatever I can, even if there's not a huge visual difference. I think I'm more of an audiophile anyway, so that lossless audio is a huge plus. At the same time I've held onto all of my old DVDs too, for nostalgia's sake.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:44 pm Reply with quote
How come the issue of translating from a 4:3 aspect ratio to 16:9 wasn't addressed? Does this article only concern higher-resolution versions that don't change the aspect ratio? How common are those compared to ones that have been "panned-and-scanned" to create a 16:9 version of a show shot originally in 4:3? That's what I think of when I hear about upscaling to Blu-ray. I'd like to hear more about how the image is reshaped.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
How come the issue of translating from a 4:3 aspect ratio to 16:9 wasn't addressed? Does this article only concern higher-resolution versions that don't change the aspect ratio? How common are those compared to ones that have been "panned-and-scanned" to create a 16:9 version of a show shot originally in 4:3? That's what I think of when I hear about upscaling to Blu-ray. I'd like to hear more about how the image is reshaped.

Those who buy these sets are collectors. For most the cropping of the source would probably amount to blasphemy...

Last edited by Blanchimont on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:14 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
If most R1 releases were not inexpensive upgrading to upscale BD's would be a careful decision. I recently bought Gungrave on BD, and while I know that the video quality would probably not be that different compared to the DVD's, the $35 or so I spent are easily justifiable for all the shelf space I can save.

You do have a good point there. I have the original Geneon release, and I can't say that I miss the days of seven discs for a 26 episode series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4