• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nintendo Switch Console Has 8 Million-Seller Games

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:54 am Reply with quote
It's actually 12 million sellers, 8 of which are published by Nintendo. This is why Pokken Tournament DX isn't on that list, despite selling 1.16 million, since it was technically published by the Pokemon Company
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:11 am Reply with quote
I am entirely surprised that Odyssey, in the less than six months it has been around, has outsold BotW, in the full year it's been around, by nearly two million.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:08 am Reply with quote
Not surprised about Super Mario Odyssey. It deserves every ounce of success it’s been seeing, and couldn’t be more fun to play! The costumes Mario puts on are great too.

Last edited by CastMember1991 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:21 am Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
I am entirely surprised that Odyssey, in the less than six months it has been around, has outsold BotW, in the full year it's been around, by nearly two million.

Japan is an odd country that likes Mario more than Zelda, usually.

I personally found Odyssey to by really lackluster, given the hype. Great game but it didn't compare to the evolution that was Zelda. Mario was just another Mario game, but more similar to it's roots. Zelda evolved to what it always wanted to be, finally. And also just lasted me 5 times longer
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:

I personally found Odyssey to by really lackluster, given the hype. Great game but it didn't compare to the evolution that was Zelda. Mario was just another Mario game, but more similar to it's roots. Zelda evolved to what it always wanted to be, finally. And also just lasted me 5 times longer

Read great things about Zelda. I don't know, maybe I'm just not into Lord of the Rings-style fantasy. I'm still thinking about getting it though.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:

Well, people enjoyed it and thought it was amazing.
I'm planning on getting it as soon as I finally pick up a Switch!
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:

Well, people enjoyed it and thought it was amazing.
I'm planning on getting it as soon as I finally pick up a Switch!

Trust me, you’ll have the time of your life with Odyssey. And I say this as someone who hadn’t played video games in years.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I'm the opposite. I didn't like BOTW much and lost interest a few hours into the game. It turned a franchise I liked into an open world game with crafting and weapon durability with little in the way of narrative structure. I definately prefer the older Zelda games. Odyssey was exactly what I wanted, a true sequel to 64.

-Stuart Smith
Shinuki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:

What? Japan is an odd country because likes Mario more than Zelda? in which world do you live? Mario is more popular than Zelda basically everywhere around the world lmaooo
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

I'm the opposite. I didn't like BOTW much and lost interest a few hours into the game. It turned a franchise I liked into an open world game with crafting and weapon durability with little in the way of narrative structure. I definately prefer the older Zelda games. Odyssey was exactly what I wanted, a true sequel to 64.

-Stuart Smith

What I love the most about the game was the globetrotting aspect. Of all the kingdoms I visited so far, my favorite obviously has to be the Metro Kingdom. My sister lives in New York, and as someone who visits Gotham on some occasions, just walking around New Donk City reminds me of how much I love visiting there. I especially loved the tribute to the original Donkey Kong game.

And as I said in a previous post on this thread, the costumes are great as well, especially because they too are homages to Nintendo's rich gaming history. The one costume that's missing though (at least in my opinion) is one based on Kanto-version Ash Ketchum in the Pokémon anime. Hopefully they add that somewhere in the game either as a tie-in to the upcoming movie or main series Pokémon game on the Switch.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see that Xenoblade 2 did so well. It deserves it. The best game of 2017.
SUPER_METR0lD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:

It's really not that surprising. Remember that Zelda also released on, and sold more than a million copies, on the Wii U as well. Also, Mario Odyssey's number includes the copies that were packed in with the Switch in a bundle. And Zelda was never featured as a pack-in.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh, just you wait until the main series Pokémon game on the Switch comes out! Pokémon games move Nintendo systems quite like no other franchise can.

I'm actually the most surprised about Kirby Star Allies having broken 1 million. While Kirby is no slouch as a franchise, it had just come out very recently, and Kirby is more of a B-tier franchise, and somewhat low profile in the mainstream, so I did not expect those numbers.

I thought Splatoon 2 would be a bit closer to Super Mario Odyssey's numbers, but if there's any game that should occupy the #1 spot, I'd say Odyssey deserved it the most. I had been longing for another open-world Super Mario game for a while, and I know I wasn't the only one. During the months leading up to Odyssey, I was even in the mood to go play Super Mario Sunshine again.

CastMember1991 wrote:
And as I said in a previous post on this thread, the costumes are great as well, especially because they too are homages to Nintendo's rich gaming history. The one costume that's missing though (at least in my opinion) is one based on Kanto-version Ash Ketchum in the Pokémon anime. Hopefully they add that somewhere in the game either as a tie-in to the upcoming movie or main series Pokémon game on the Switch.

All of the outfits Mario wears in Super Mario Odyssey, including the post-release ones, tie specifically to the history of the Super Mario franchise, actually. That aside, it covers EVERYTHING Mario-related. One of them is even based on a Mario-themed shirt Shigeru Miyamoto wore appearing on an American talk show. Another is based on a rare Super Mario comic book from Germany.

Aaronrules380 wrote:
It's actually 12 million sellers, 8 of which are published by Nintendo. This is why Pokken Tournament DX isn't on that list, despite selling 1.16 million, since it was technically published by the Pokemon Company

What are the other three?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:34 am Reply with quote
I'm less surprised by Mario Odyssey and more surprised that Mario Kart 8 did so well when it's basically a port of the Wii U game and it didn't seem like it had that many new features added to it.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:34 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:

Read great things about Zelda. I don't know, maybe I'm just not into Lord of the Rings-style fantasy. I'm still thinking about getting it though.

I absolutely encourage you to. BotW is the first Zelda game I have ever played and I can honestly say it’s one of the best games I have ever picked up, period.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2