• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Survey: Why did you dismiss 'One Piece?'

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:50 pm Reply with quote
For the people who dismissed 'One Piece,' why? Alternatively, if you do watch OP, but know people that won't, do you know why? I'm asking for research on a video I might do.
Tyoki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quote
When I finally got around to contemplating watching One Piece the number of Episodes were already in the hundreds. Plus the art style itself was a big turn off for me. I watched a few episodes, gave it my usual 3 episode try and it just didn't excite me.

So for me it was a combination of too many episodes, poor art and just boring. I have friends who really like it I just can't get into it.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
The art is the most consistent detractor for those attempting it for the first time. 100% of all people who couldn't get in to One Piece cite that as a primary or secondary concern.
Tyoki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I honestly feel bad about citing that as a reason because of that. I'm by no means a snob when it comes to artstyle. I've watched anime/cartoons with really odd or terrible animation. But they had other things going for them to make it easy to look past bad animation. One Piece, for me personally, just didn't have anything else going for it. Not saying its bad, just not right for me!
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Tyoki wrote:
I honestly feel bad about citing that as a reason because of that. I'm by no means a snob when it comes to artstyle. I've watched anime/cartoons with really odd or terrible animation. But they had other things going for them to make it easy to look past bad animation. One Piece, for me personally, just didn't have anything else going for it. Not saying its bad, just not right for me!

To anyone who couldn't get into it but is curious to see the appeal, but doesn't want to "tough it out until it gets good," might I recommend watching the 6th movie? It only requires the bare minimum knowledge of the series.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Watched a few episodes, and dropped it, because:

1. The main character was really annoying
2. The character art was really ugly
3. Wasn't all that interested in the plot
4. It was already much too long (500+ episodes) and the longer something runs the more it tends to suck

Based on that I felt like catching up on 500 episodes of the show wouldn't be worth it and I could just watch 50 other better shows in the time it would take me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:55 am Reply with quote
I think the major reason is it's no. of episodes. There are heck lot of episodes just like Dragon Ball Z and similar animes.
I personally like animes like Death note or Code Geass which gets finished in few episodes.
Another reason was - I tried to start watching it on different sites but was not able to find a good site to watch it in english dubbed or at least subbed.
Yeah I do have Crunchyroll sub but it's not there as well that's why I looked on web.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Its the art style. No matter how many times I try to give it a chance, I just can't get over it. Just not my cup of tea, like many other stylized stuff in other anime/mediums out there.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:38 am Reply with quote
I actually read the first 50 chapters of the manga and I watched a few of the movies. Overall I found it to be a bit simplistic in its writing and the art style wasn't interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
For the people who dismissed 'One Piece,' why? Alternatively, if you do watch OP, but know people that won't, do you know why? I'm asking for research on a video I might do.

Generally it is expected here when a user creates a new thread they provide their own information and answer whatever question they are asking of others.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
I don't like the art style and yes, I'm a shallow, horrible piece of crap. :'D

But adding to that, there's not really anything that appeals to me. I do enjoy the fan parody "NONE Piece" though. Laughing
Morzone

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote
One Piece doesn't interest me anymore. Partly because of the dated art style (Toei is lazy), and also I've grown out of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1