• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: World Screen: GKIDS Licenses 'Ronja, The Robber's Daughter' for U.S.

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
So is it no longer an “Amazon Prime Original?” I never saw this one, but I don’t know of many other TV series’ that GKids have licensed. I hope they’ll be able to stream the English dub.

Edit: It seems Amazon only has the English dub, and the Japanese version isn’t streaming anywhere.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Does amazon lose the rights to stream?

I don't understand the legal stuff here
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Has Amazon EVER released any anime on home video physical format? Not to my knowledge!

What GKids has here are the home video (DVD/Blu ray) physical media and distribution rights.
The series will be out on disc within a year if they hold to past patterns when they made licensing announcements.
The thing is I don't think GKids has ever licensed and released a TV series on home video. All the past releases they've done were movies and half the time that was after they did limited release/exhibition of the movies in theaters.

Don't worry, if you're interested in the TV series by Goro Miyazaki I'm sure they'll have both the Japanese and English audio on the GKids' release.
They haven't screwed up their releases or been impatient unlike certain companies who have a much bigger retail print AND the resources to do these things correctly!
(* Yes, I'm talking about Disney and some of their home video practices and lousy re-releases of many of their classic films on Blu ray. They do fine on the Marvel films and the extras are decent but many of the classic Disney animated features had wonderful extras done for the DVD editions that were never ported to the Blu ray releases. These include things like deleted scenes and audio commentary by the films' producers and directors. People here would be aware of the slipshod subtitles they've done for a few of the Ghibli releases they handled and the fact that they licensed films they NEVER released in the US.)
I am glad GKids is handling Ghibli now and doing a very good job on its other anime release licenses. It's one of the better home video companies right now... They haven't released a single bad anime feature in all I've bought from them.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I sure hope they will have Japanese available now. I tried watching the dub and it... was definately not up to Ghibli quality :/
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Is this the first time GKids has licensed an anime series before? I wasn't a big fan of this series but I'm glad for fans that it's finally coming out and Ronja will make a fine series to introduce kids to anime with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1