• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maiden Japan Licenses Gunparade March, Glass Mask 1984 Anime (Updated)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I will definitely be picking up that Glass Mask release. Glad to know there's enough faith in it to not wait for streaming numbers.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... unless the entire series of Glass Mask 1984 is placed onto disc in one release, I likely will not be purchasing it otherwise. I got burned once with the incomplete release of the 2005 anime (which still bothers me to this day that it remains incomplete) and it's hard for me to want to do that again. Still, there's that part of me that loves the series so damn much that I'd be willing to put myself through that irritation again to support it and hoping that maybe if this sells well enough they might finally release the rest of the 2005 anime. Choices, choices...

EDIT: After seeing it up for pre-order on RightStuf, it does look to be the complete series... okay, then yes, I'll be buying you!
configspace

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:42 am Reply with quote
I highly recommend Gunparade March. I got the MB version so I'm glad it's being rescued for other people to pick up. I hope Sentai can stream it too. It's less mecha oriented and a bit more drama, tragedy and romance oriented, especially towards the end.

Regarding Glass Mask,I wonder what made them license the original when they dropped the 2005 version halfway?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:10 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Regarding Glass Mask,I wonder what made them license the original when they dropped the 2005 version halfway?

Different management. John Ledford runs Sentai, but not Maiden Japan. Matt Greenfield has been picking up a lot of classic anime lately, so I’m guessing it was part of a bundle. It probably cost less than the newer series as well.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:47 am Reply with quote
Ooooo.... Majorly excited for Glass Mask to hang out with Creamy Mami and Dear Brother on my shelf of things I never thought I'd get to own in English. I'm all about supporting more '80s shoujo releases.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:14 pm Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
I will definitely be picking up that Glass Mask release. Glad to know there's enough faith in it to not wait for streaming numbers.

No idea but Crunchyroll still has the episodes for streaming.
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:06 pm Reply with quote
From the description on RightStuf:
Quote:
Glass Mask, created in 1984, contains episodes 1-22 of the anime directed by Gisaburou Sugii.

So unless that's just a typo, the Sentai release is cutting the clip-show episode. Good riddance.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Supermutant wrote:
CandisWhite wrote:

No idea but Crunchyroll still has the episodes for streaming.

I think we've got some crossed wires here. I was referring to the 1984 series, which is being released on HIDIVE; I did not expect to see a home video release announced before the series was even up for streaming. From what I can tell, the 2005 reboot and a parody series are what's on Crunchyroll.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1