• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Lupin the 3rd: Bye Bye, Lady Liberty

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:19 am Reply with quote
I hope they end up releasing all of the Lupin specials, yes even the bad ones. As well as Goemon Ishikawa's Spray of Blood, hopefully with a dub.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote
Considering Wild 7 Another doesn't even have English fansubs, I doubt anyone can say much about its inner contents.
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:40 am Reply with quote
RIP, Shelf Obsessed.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I remember renting The Law of Ueki at the video store once. A shonen tournament series with a bizarre twist that didn't quite have the energy to take off in the West like other shonen were at the time. Maybe if it had gotten on Toonami.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
It would be neat if they could redub all the Lupin movies with Tony Oliver and the rest, but I imagine that might be too costly.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
It would be neat if they could redub all the Lupin movies with Tony Oliver and the rest, but I imagine that might be too costly.

Yeah. I wish they could do it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Oh man, I remember renting The Law of Ueki at the video store once. A shonen tournament series with a bizarre twist that didn't quite have the energy to take off in the West like other shonen were at the time. Maybe if it had gotten on Toonami.

Would've been booted from the network just like Yu Yu Hakasho.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:20 pm Reply with quote
what a weirdly nostalgic slate of releases (and review).
If the show wasn't 10-20 years old it was a reboot of a show even older than that.

Complete coincidence? Marketing gimmick?

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I remember L3:BBLL from the early 90's club days, when it was one of the few feature Lupin specials making the VHS rounds (along with Napoleon's Dictionary and Hemingway Papers), and someone had found the subtitled version on Hawaiian TV.

This was actually one of the better ones from the Yasuo Yamada-as-Lupin era: Smile
No one had the V2 series back then except for the Streamline version of the two Miyazaki episodes, so the specials were pretty much our only way of finding out what Monkey Punch's "true" Lupin was like outside of the Castle of Cagliostro version.

Last edited by EricJ2 on Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

As much as I like the Pioneer dub cast, this isn't happening.
Lupin III doesn't sell well enough to dub everything and they dubbed roughly half of the Lupin III Part 2 TV series before Geneon abandoned the project. That was around 75-80 episodes dubbed? That was a bold move on Pioneer/Geneon's part but it just didn't pan out. They only showed about 1/3 of the episodes that WERE dubbed on Cartoon Network. That's where I was exposed to it and that's what convinced to get EVERY Pioneer and Funi Lupin III put out on DVD at that point before they went out of print and became too expensive to buy on the secondary market.
Speaking of which, it's criminal that Fuma Conspiracy has been out of print for years -- AGAIN. That film needs to be remastered and re-released on Blu ray soon. It's still one of the best Lupin III movies. I like it better than Cagliostro. Cagliostro is good Lupin but it still looks too much like Nausicaa! Even Fujiko looks like Nausicaa's big sister in that film!

No, they're going to dub the occasional Lupin TV series and special or movie, but that's it. I doubt they'll do all of them. I doubt they'll finish dubbing Lupin III Part 2 or bother to dub the original Lupin III TV series and Lupin III Part 3 (the UGLIEST-looking Lupin III anime out there). I'd much rather they dubbed the movies and specials that haven't been dubbed that are at least half-decent and sellable. Everybody has favorites they wish would be dubbed (FINALLY)! For me, Lupin III Episode Zero: First Contact and Green Vs. Red would be on a short list of "must dubs." Green Vs. Red has one of my favorite Lupin III openings with a partial reanimation of Lupin III Part 1's opening animation as well as representations of all the model sheet styles of Lupin done up to that point -- hilarious opening sequence with all the "fake Lupin's" evading the cops! Besides that, it would be interesting to have TWO unique takes on Lupin heard in a special (Green Vs. Red again). There have been at least three voice actors tackle Lupin in the US. Bob Bergen, Tony Oliver, and Sonny Strait I think. Oliver's the best-known and generally best-liked English voice for Lupin.

We should consider ourselves lucky Funi dubbed all the Lupin III specials and movie that it optioned...
There are already TWO English dubs of Castle of Cagliostro that I'm aware of and I think THREE(?) English dubs for Legend of Mamo, the first Lupin III movie.
A Woman Named Fujiko Mine and Lupin III Part 4 were most recently dubbed Lupin III TV series and it was a minor miracle they were dubbed. Lupin III, Part 4, btw, is EXCELLENT. It has the highest production standards of any Lupin III TV series I've seen and has the excellent Pioneer dub cast back in top form. It's too bad TMS didn't allow the series to be released bilingually on home video in the US; the future Japanese audio release (from Discotek) on Blu ray will be sub-only but the English dub/CN version is out on Blu ray/DVD now. Still a very good show and glad I bought it. I don't like that I'll have to double-dip for the Japanese audio and hope TMS doesn't repeat this tactic again... They're only hurting their licensee and the fans in the US regardless of whether the reverse importation fears are justified or not.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Considering Wild 7 Another doesn't even have English fansubs, I doubt anyone can say much about its inner contents.

looking into it, Urban Visions released it in the US. I'm assuming Discotek would have the rights to it, but for some reason chose to release the sequel first. Unless there's a mistaken description problem and this release actually has both of them included.

-go to the wayback machine, https://web.archive.org/
-copy and paste the following address in the search bar,
http://www.animejump.com/index.php?module=prodreviews&func=showcontent&id=178
-and go to an archived page from 2007 or before to read an old Mike Toole review
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:51 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
As much as I like the Pioneer dub cast, this isn't happening. Lupin III doesn't sell well enough to dub everything

It's not like I was expecting it, hence why I said the notion of if it is too costly.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
looking into it, Urban Visions released it in the US. I'm assuming Discotek would have the rights to it, but for some reason chose to release the sequel first.

Nope. Urban Vision put out the 90s OVA series, but the 00s TV series, which looks to be a standalone sequel, if anything, has never seen an English release before, unofficial or otherwise. It's neat that Discotek is putting it out, though, & I'll consider it if I see it at Otakon next week.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:45 am Reply with quote
Peter Hunt wrote:
RIP, Shelf Obsessed.

Unless you know something that the rest of us don't, it seems much more likely that they just forgot to mention it?
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:39 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
looking into it, Urban Visions released it in the US. I'm assuming Discotek would have the rights to it, but for some reason chose to release the sequel first.

Nope. Urban Vision put out the 90s OVA series, but the 00s TV series, which looks to be a standalone sequel, if anything, has never seen an English release before, unofficial or otherwise. It's neat that Discotek is putting it out, though, & I'll consider it if I see it at Otakon next week.

this anime was broadcasted on Animax in Latin America,and I will tell you this:it's really unremarkable...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2