• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Polygon Pictures Animates Star Wars: Resistance Series

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fantaselion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:57 am Reply with quote
.............. WHAT................. well thats interesting......WHAT
wewhomustnotbenamed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:09 am Reply with quote
pingu overlord has chose his successor! all hail star wars overlord! my favorite anime!
Drunk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:13 am Reply with quote
Another anime that MAL and r/anime will ignore.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:39 am Reply with quote
Star Wars is a friggin mess right now and the character designs looked like they were going way kiddies than even Rebels. So yeah, pass.[/img]
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:19 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Star Wars is a friggin mess right now and the character designs looked like they were going way kiddies than even Rebels. So yeah, pass.[/img]

Star Wars has always had awful looking cartoons, going all the way back to the Ewok thing You'd think a billion dollar franchise could spring for decent art team. But no.. it's either ugly CG or Flash animation. Back in the day I held out hope for a Star Wars anime, but I imagine the chances of that are zero now that Disney owns it. Shame, because my Kotobukiya figures of Mara Jade and Jaina Solo are gorgeous, although I doubt we'll ever see anything like those ever again.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:24 am Reply with quote
Say what you will about the stylization in Clone Wars, but the actual fluidity and the choreography was really good. Couple that with surprisingly mature writing and you had a show for all ages. Rebels got away from that but still had some really well done moments (Obi Wan and Darth Maul after the former went into exile, Ashoka confronting Darth Vader).

Resistance? Probably not.
marek1712

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:42 am Reply with quote
Expect glorious 12fps again Smile
Blankslate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:34 am Reply with quote
Hopefully this looks as good as their work on Tron Uprising.

Beatdigga wrote:
Say what you will about the stylization in Clone Wars, but the actual fluidity and the choreography was really good. Couple that with surprisingly mature writing and you had a show for all ages. Rebels got away from that but still had some really well done moments (Obi Wan and Darth Maul after the former went into exile, Ashoka confronting Darth Vader).

Polygon Pictures also worked on Star Wars The Clone Wars: http://www.ppi.co.jp/works/star-wars-the-clone-wars/
AahDarling

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:49 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

I agree, The Clone Wars was great. The problem with it's style was they tried to copy Genddy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars 2D animation into 3D because The Clone Wars was originally gonna be a sequel before becoming it's own thing. It looked rough at first but it looked amazing in later seasons. Each individual episode had roughly 1 million dollars of funding directly from George Lucas because it was his personal project.
Rebels had less funding because it was Disney funding and not George, but it's style was inspired by Ralph McQuarries art style which might have turned people off. It was done by the Clone Wars team.
I'm really looking forward to Resistance since although I don't really care for the Sequel era, I'm looking forward to see a different animation take on Star Wars.
Bullza

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:31 am Reply with quote
Ugh "anime style", guess that means this is going to suck.
amitabh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:35 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Yea. But this Star Wars ain't an Anime. Its a cartoon. Disney is figuring out how to milk the Star Wars franchise, but its largely unsuccessful.The old republic is only series that can have a better effect. But as the new republic storyline ended with Darth Vader. Disney is trying hard to find a suitable antagonist.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:49 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure about this one.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote
The only Star Wars cartoon I ever liked was the Clone Wars Microseries, this is gonna be ugly.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:33 am Reply with quote
I have not seen the new Star Wars movies outside of that Han Solo movie. To me, it's not really Star Wars without the 20th Century Fox logo before the opening. Speaking of which, I really do hope foreign governments tell Disney know on buying out out most of the Fox Empire. Disney has too much control. As such, I do hope this upcoming series flops.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Speaking of which, I really do hope foreign governments tell Disney know on buying out out most of the Fox Empire.

Fox and Disney are American based enterprises so what clout would foreign countries be able to flaunt in order to stop this from happening?

Kadmos1 wrote:

Disney has too much control. As such, I do hope this upcoming series flops.

I don't see what would be the positives in it flopping.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2