• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Armed Girl's Machiavellism

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:38 am Reply with quote
Armed Girl's Machiavellism is not a good show, but it is not terrible either. The writing is typical harem ecchi stuff, but it is generally entertaining with solid visuals.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:58 am Reply with quote
I might get Big Fish & Begonia as it didn't play in any theater near me. Though seeing as how they handled In This Corner of the World, I wouldn't be surprised if this gets added to Netflix in the near future, so I think I'll hold off.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, gonna be a blind buy for me too so I'm looking forward to getting my copy of Big Fish & Begonia. The animation in the trailer looks gorgeous too.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I finished Armed Girl's yesterday. It was pretty eh. The character designs were nice to me (I really liked the eyes, especially on Satori and the blind chick), but the story was ok at the best of times and offensive at the worst. The most disappointing thing was that the fight scenes were constantly broken up with exposition. The best fight was against Satori because it had more than just still panning shots and people explaining what's happening all the time. I also liked the fights in the last couple of episodes with Amou, as ridiculous as they were.
I was surprised by how much blood there was in the series. Those last 2 episodes got pretty dark.
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:16 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
I might get Big Fish & Begonia as it didn't play in any theater near me. Though seeing as how they handled In This Corner of the World, I wouldn't be surprised if this gets added to Netflix in the near future, so I think I'll hold off.

It´ll be on Netflix on August 17, or 18. Though it´s difficult to know in which countries will be avaiable
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:34 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyFC07 wrote:
It´ll be on Netflix on August 17, or 18. Though it´s difficult to know in which countries will be avaiable

I’m seeing nothing online that supports your statement. Where did you hear that?
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:49 pm Reply with quote
On top of this sounding like a pretty bottom-barrel anime, it sounds like AGM's premise is also riddled with nauseating sexism and demonized gender-coded traits...

Quote:
even the toughest transfer students end up wearing makeup and acting like well-behaved young women, regardless of their actual gender

...I mean, what the actual hell? Paul nailed it with the "angry twelve year-old boy" analogue.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:43 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the review. I've been on the fence about picking this one up from Sentai as a blind buy, but even though I missed the orginal broadcast, I have not heard good things. The premise sounds strange, and I was honestly expecting more slapstick than serious, but you answered this question in the review perfectly. This is the first perishable we've had in awhile. Looking forward to more reviews. Smile
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:21 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Armed Girl's Machiavellism is not a good show, but it is not terrible either. The writing is typical harem ecchi stuff, but it is generally entertaining with solid visuals.

not really. first thing is that the MC isn't one of those usual guys you see in a typical ecchi harem. he's more of a baseline arata than the usual harem MC's (looking at you Ichika & Bell!)

however compared to trinity seven and danmachi, this series is inferior at best (rental but DEFINITELY NOT PERISHABLE!) and to be frank, the resources to produce its dub would have been better suited to a better ecchi/harem series that doesn't have one (looking at you to-love ru & zero no tsukaima)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1