• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
HIDIVE Android App Launches Chromecast Compatibility

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Okay, now they're just taunting Roku users.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Awesome!
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I'm ready for a Roku app! I'm also 1000000% read for someone to fight Apple for blocking half their content on the app for being "mature." Rolling Eyes
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Yay!! This is great news. Now I can at least it watch on my TV without resorting to illegal apps. Still want a PS4 app though.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Google Chromecast (first generation and later)

All Chromecasts use the same protocol. There's no such thing as supporting one generation and not the other. Besides, that expression is redundant even in a grammatical sense.

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Okay, now they're just taunting Roku users.

Yes, quite. Although I already canceled my Hidive subscription a good month ago, so I don't care anymore at this point.
[That said, Chromecast was for a while actually more popular than Roku back in the day (although it hasn't been for a long time), so this is the first move they've made that actually kinda sorta makes sense. But basically everything is more popular than Apple TV (presumably including PS4 and Xbone, but no one ever includes those in statistics, so it's basically impossible to tell for sure), so why on Earth would you ever lead with that? Well, I mean, considering they're clearly saving what is by far the most widely used streaming platform for last, my best guess is whoever is advising them in this is trolling.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lizuka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I really just hope they get to a PS4 app before too long. Or at least make the site compatible with the PS4's browser.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
But basically everything is more popular than Apple TV (presumably including PS4 and Xbone, but no one ever includes those in statistics, so it's basically impossible to tell for sure), so why on Earth would you ever lead with that? Well, I mean, considering they're clearly saving what is by far the most widely used streaming platform for last, my best guess is whoever is advising them in this is trolling.

Presumably it is related to the ease of development. Probably easier to come out with an Apple TV app once you have the iPhone app, and ditto for the Chromecast and Fire TV once you have an Android app. Roku is a bit sui generis, so it's not quite as beloved by developers. (The best part of Roku is its independence prevents it from getting in exclusivity wars and fights between subsidiaries.)

However, I'd really prefer a Roku or PS4 app to those others. Right now I end up using a Steambox to redirect the desktop app to my TV.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Ah, finally. Makes it easier to watch on TV. Screen mirror casting runs out the batteries of my smartphone and requires a better internet connection at times.
I do hope HIDIVE licenses more anime for my region. They have some good titles, but compared to Crunchyroll their collection is still a bit small.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:54 am Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
Screen mirror casting runs out the batteries of my smartphone and requires a better internet connection at times.

Casting the screen of video feeds doesn't work very well for me. Maybe my phone has too slow a CPU, but on services that don't support Chromecast like the NESN sports channel that carries the Red Sox, I see lots of lag and stuttering. I think it has to do with how the phone has to bring down the video stream, transcode the screen image to the Chromecast protocol, then send it back out over the network to the TV or display. For apps that support the protocol, the stream goes directly to the dongle, and the phone is just used for control.

I like both of Crunchyroll's apps for Android/Chromecast and Roku, though I do find the Roku app a bit annoying on startup. It's apparently programmed to download a lot of (all?) the series images and sits at 25% complete for a long time. It would be more efficient if they used download on demand, but Crunchy's developers must think people would rather wait a bit longer at the beginning and experience no lag when browsing the catalog.

It's a bit surprising that HIDIVE already supports the Amazon Fire but not yet Roku. As of a year ago, more people owned Roku devices, and its lead was increasing. Two people I know have TV's with Roku built-in.

(The Red Sox are worth a billion dollars or more. Surely you'd think they could afford to pay the Chromecast licensing fee. I suspect NESN doesn't do so because the cable operators, who are most of NESN's customers, don't want it to offer anything that encourages cutting the cord. I'm sure they weren't happy when NESN started streaming to phones, but that was inevitable. Chromecast, not so much.)
CaseyWarner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:37 am Reply with quote
Hey there, guys. Apologies for reviving such an old thread. I need your advice on a scanning service. I'm 65, and I have no one nearby to help me scan my docs. Thanks in advance for your help!
ReeseReilly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Hey there! No need to apologize for reviving an old thread. We're all here to help each other out, regardless of when the post was made. I'm sorry to hear that you don't have anyone nearby to help you with scanning your docs. But don't worry, there are plenty of scanning services available online that can help you out. One such service is Smart Engines. They have an awesome automatic and eco-friendly document scanning and OCR technology that could be perfect for your needs. You can check it out at this link: https://smartengines.com/ . By the way, I'm new to this forum and just trying to help out. If you have any more questions or need more advice, don't hesitate to ask.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1