• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Confirms Perfect Blue Film's U.S. Theatrical Release

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:24 pm Reply with quote
If you somehow liked Black Swan, watch the anime film that they ripped off from! Perfect Blue is amazing. Not sure I'd be able to watch it again tho lol
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Problem with the 10th is going to be Rosh Hashanah. I'll have to see if I can get the 6th off.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely happy this is happening, and I'll try to see it, but I'm a little annoyed that they have a specific date for each audio version. Anyone with a limited schedule is now forced to watch whichever version is available when they are, rather than being able to choose.
I can usually just go to a different theater to see the version I want being in an area with a lot of theater options, but in this case it doesn't matter. I'm either seeing the version I don't want, or not at all. Sad
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I pray this means that they have the Blu-Ray rights to this and hopefully Millennium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers too.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I'm definitely happy this is happening, and I'll try to see it, but I'm a little annoyed that they have a specific date for each audio version. Anyone with a limited schedule is now forced to watch whichever version is available when they are, rather than being able to choose.
I can usually just go to a different theater to see the version I want being in an area with a lot of theater options, but in this case it doesn't matter. I'm either seeing the version I don't want, or not at all. Sad

That's what happens with Fathom Events. You get 1 or 2 showings for a simultaneous nationwide theatrical showing, and the tickets are like 2x the price of a normal showing. Which is why I haven't been going to the Ghibli films in theaters lately. If I'm going to spend 13 bucks, I'd rather just buy the bluray on Amazon.
I've never seen this movie though, and it doesn't have a bluray release in the West, but I have class until 6:45 on Thursdays... Guess I'll have to force myself to watch the dub on Monday.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Really hope they have the Blu-ray rights too. This film is in desperate need of one in the US.

Kougeru wrote:
If you somehow liked Black Swan, watch the anime film that they ripped off from! Perfect Blue is amazing. Not sure I'd be able to watch it again tho lol

Both films are amazing. *shrugs*
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
They should remove the "Kids" part from their name but I guess it'll be hell to change at this point. I appreciate them expanding to adult animation, as well.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Bring your Kids to the psychological thriller!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
I pray this means that they have the Blu-Ray rights to this and hopefully Millennium Actress

I second this.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I’m surprised Discotek didn’t get the rights to Perfect Blue. It feels like it would be up their alley if you ask me.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
I pray this means that they have the Blu-Ray rights to this and hopefully Millennium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers too.

Sony, as far as we know, still has the home video rights to Tokyo Godfathers and Paprika.

Paprika is still available in stores. I see it at Barnes and Noble regularly when I look in the Foreign Film section.

Tokyo Godfathers was released in the last year or last 18 months on BD-R (domestic) and an open-region Blu ray disc (UK import).
The situation could be some other company sublicenses Tokyo Godfathers from Sony and does their own release on Blu ray disc. Sony did release the Metropolis anime feature on BD-R last year (March, spring) and then there was a release (Wal Mart exclusive) by Mill Creek on Blu ray (pressed) disc this past June. Mill Creek is following the Wal Mart exclusive up with a limited edition steelbook Blu ray of Metropolis in October I believe. If you haven't bought the Wal Mart disc and don't need the film now, I would wait until the steelbook release since it will have the extras that are missing on the Wal Mart release. Mill Creek released a barebones Blu ray that had only the movie and the Japanese and English audio tracks with subtitles.

Again, I would caution anybody into putting their hopes that GKids has the home video licenses to Perfect Blue or Millennium Actress. Let them make the official announcement AFTER they've sealed the deal if they even are going after the home video license! Perfect Blue would be the first home video release. GKids hasn't even announced Millennium Actress and I think people are getting ahead of themselves!

Companies do NOT release information in advance for negotiations because it can blow up in their faces if a licensing deals fall through OR another company swoops in and outbids them on a license. As far as we know, NONE of the American anime licensing companies HAS been actively seeking the licenses to any of Satoshi Kon's films not currently distributed on US home video by Sony USA.

Let me emphasize it again -- home video licenses and theatrical exhibition are separate deals, they're not the same thing!
There are plenty of films that have home video releases that are being exhibited in theaters (AGAIN!) but it's not always by the same company that's handling the home video release.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:43 am Reply with quote
OK, granted it is not like GKIDS haven't release movies that kind of go against their name; that said I think the is the most left field screening they have done so far.

Rolling Eyes Oh well, as long as Fireworks get released on home video late this year or early next year, GKIDS can do whatever the Hell they want!
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Really hope they have the Blu-ray rights too. This film is in desperate need of one in the US.

Oh yeah, I share your sentiments. This is a GREAT one. The only BD that I know of is available in the UK. The quality was fine, although a little jittery at times. It'll be interesting to see if GKids follows up the release with a BD of this.

I'm surprised they got it, honestly. This is a pretty dark and heavy movie. Violent, too. Usually GKids does tamer stuff. Either way, great to see this masterpiece back.
Angel Investor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:25 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Completely agree. I watched Perfect Blue before Black Swan and Perfect Blue was easily the superior movie, yet it gets little recognition outside the anime fandom.

Another mainstream film that was inspired by an anime would be Inception, which borrowed key concepts from Paprika. But Inception had way more creativity, original ideas and overall entertainment value than Black Swan.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:29 am Reply with quote
On the one hand, I'm glad the film's finally rescued from the pile of OOP anime sitting around for years without some sort of theatrical or physical release. On the other hand, surprised GKids has it as I always assumed they picked up titles aimed for families or younger audiences.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2