• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - No Game, No Life Zero

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:15 am Reply with quote
100% agree with the review; NGNL Zero is a great film, and i was shocked at how much i enjoyed it when i went in blink at the theatrical showing. I've had this on pre-order for a few months now, can't wait for it to ship.

I've been rewatching Gamers! on bluray as well, and i'm enjoying it even more than i did on my first watch. It's a very well constructed comedy that not only has insight on how "gamers" think and feel, but also twists romantic comedy genre tropes to ludicrous levels. If anyone hasn't watched it yet, it has my full recommendation. Plus, the english dub is quite good so far.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:53 am Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
I've been rewatching Gamers! on bluray as well, and i'm enjoying it even more than i did on my first watch. It's a very well constructed comedy that not only has insight on how "gamers" think and feel, but also twists romantic comedy genre tropes to ludicrous levels. If anyone hasn't watched it yet, it has my full recommendation. Plus, the english dub is quite good so far.

Personally I'd say watch the first six episodes and then convince yourself that's how the show ends. The last six are everything wrong with rom com without anything that made the show interesting in the first place.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:13 am Reply with quote
Dang, my copy of Zero won’t come in for another 8 days :/ Oh well, at least it was pretty cheap on Amazon.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I'll be brutally honest here.. I thought the NGNL TV series was garbage. The main characters were highly annoying.. not to mention the hyper sexualization of an 11 year old was pretty disgusting. This series literally looked like Lisa Frank from the 90's got ahold of an anime and ran with it... just sayin.

Regardless.

I liked NGNL Zero.. so much so that I would recommend it over the anime series.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:

I agree.
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Basically the gist of what I got from NGNL Zero(Right Stuf shipped my copy early.) is that Riku and Schwi are the past lives of Sora and Shiro and Schwi beating Riku at chess echoes the first major battle of the main series where Shiro is better at chess than Sora. Essentially, spoiler[after Schwi dies and Riku fades away as he gives the mcguffin, the name of which I've forgotten, to Tet who didn't really believe existed until then, they're reincarnated in our world, Tet waits and then tests them to see if they're as good as they were before, and then brings them back to Disboard so he can challenge Sora/Riku once more.] They're the champions at playing games, having manged to essentially spoiler[beat gods], which is why Sora and Shiro are an unstoppable duo in the future. Of course their relationship is different. In Zero, spoiler[they marry], that much was obvious just from the trailers, but in the future they're step-siblings who don't want to leave each other even for a second and the reason for that is pretty much explained in this movie by spoiler[them promising to never leave one another, but then Schwi goes out on her own due to Riku's weakened state and ends up getting killed by Jibril, leaving Riku all alone when he wakes up.]

All in all it's now one of my favorite movies and it's absolutely beautiful. I could watch it multiple times and never get tired of it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I love this movie. Watching it in an actual theater was amazing. I hope I can buy it soon. Gotta check Best Buy for it....

@Nyren: Yes!! That is what I got from it too; they were reborn as Sora and Shiro ^^
Saito?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Love the movie (saw it in theatre and have the dvd), give me more in the world of Zero any day. I could not be bothered to even watch the series.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:14 am Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:

cyberdraco wrote:

I agree.

Any issues with the release that you've seen? I've been a little wary of Funi's crunchyroll releases after Re:zero and Tsugumomo, but want to pick this up at some point
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:19 am Reply with quote
Guess I'll agree to disagree. While Zero was really good, it didn't grab me as much as the series primarily due to the less focus on crazy strategies and such. Speaking of, the final act kinda confused me as to the logic of how certain actions led to certain results. Maybe I missed a line of dialogue, but it's also possible it's more elaborated on in the original novel.

And yeah, the movie's duo are good, but ultimately I found myself missing Sora and Shiro. Really hoping the anime will continue someday.

And yeah, Gamers! was great. I'll agree that the first half is better, but I think there's still good stuff to be had in the second half. I just had to accept that the lead character's insecurity isn't going away anytime soon.
Neromon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:09 am Reply with quote
Personally I enjoyed the show a lot more than the movie, for reasons stated in the review. I was quite disappointed with the lack of the "game" aspect, the over-the-top tactical focus of the series is what made it so entertaining for me, excessive fanservice and color design notwithstanding. Sora's speech in the chess game in episode 3 is genuinely an all time iconic moment in my mind. The movie was alright, and definitely had its moments, but it's nowhere near as entertaining.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Any issues with the release that you've seen? I've been a little wary of Funi's crunchyroll releases after Re:zero and Tsugumomo, but want to pick this up at some point

I haven't noticed any issues with the blurays i have so far
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Re: Gamers! What are the problems, specifically, with the second half? I’m not inclined to only watch half a show, and got burned out on anime romcom tropes years ago.

Re:NGNL, I haven’t seen the movie yet but I imagine it must be better than the book. The book was kind of... terrible. Major tonal backlash compare to preceding and succeeding books, and the interior monologue were... far from compelling. I’m assuming the latter is either greatly toned down or excised entirely from the film. Seems designed as a standalone story. So it felt like pure filler in the novel series proper, only made worse by the slow rate of release and continual delays of the English translations.

I think the next book was supposed to be out in July, but is now due in November? It’s crazy.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Funi's Tsugumomo release used for some parts censored broadcast versions while Re:Zero suffered from color banding issues...
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Merxamers wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Funi's Tsugumomo release used for some parts censored broadcast versions while Re:Zero suffered from color banding issues...

I have no issues with my Re:Zero set. I even went through again trying to nitpick and found nothing worth noting.

so YMMV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2