• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Keeping up with currently-airing anime as a devoted Rumiko Takahashi fan

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lumclaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:32 am Reply with quote
Is there a reliable way to track anime now running in Japan, and identify which are likely to appeal to those who love Takahashi works? (Urusei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2...)

With anime nowadays often 13 or less episodes, the turnover makes it that much harder.
I'm sure people don't want me repeating the same question on a forum every 3 months. Razz
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:40 am Reply with quote
If you are talking about anime based on one of Takahashi's series the answer is easy. Just keep watching the main news feed here on ANN. She is well know enough that any such anime would be reported as news. The same thing would apply to the reissue of any of her older series. I should point out that just about every manga she has done already has an anime.

If you are interested in anime that is sufficiently similar to her works to appeal to you, I would recommend you watch the preview guide that this site puts out at the beginning of each season. They will cover most of the anime that will be available streaming and give you some idea of what it is like. Shows licensed by Netflix and released at the end of a season will usually get a review when they are available.

Basically if you follow ANN on a regular basis you will not have to ask.
lumclaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Preview guides are a good idea.

In a nutshell, think girls with characterizations similar to Akane Tendo.
I know I'm being selfish, whiny, stubborn, take your pick. It's just upsetting fans and the industry today have seemingly moved on from my particular passion.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Akane's comedic violence more or less went out of fashion with Love Hina. There are plenty of violent females out there but none with Akane's hit first and never listen to explanations attitude.

Have you tried Toradora? Taiga is certainly capable of violence but is more restrained than Akane.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:58 pm Reply with quote
You're about 15 years late with a Takahashi obsession.

Her anime series peaked in the early 2000s with respect to the West.

I think in the last 10 years, she's crested in Japan.

With all due respect, while she's admired and people praise her achievements, her popularity has diminished in the last 10 years.

IN Japan at least, her most popular anime series was probably Urusei Yatsura. The TV series ran for 4 years (1982-1986) and nearly 200 episodes plus 6 movies and I believe 13 OVAs including the 2008 special which was the newest piece of UY anime produced.

Her most popular show in the West is arguably Ranma 1/2 (because of the slapstick and martial arts fighting; it's like Dragonball-like which only helped its popularity). They just finished re-releasing the series on Blu ray this past year in the US. And it did fine... the main thing is people bitched about is the fact they under-printed the LE slipcased Blu ray sets that had the Ryoga and Shampoo covers (sets 4 and 5) but otherwise it was a decent release. They STILL didn't bring over the last OVA (2008, the episode about the Sleeping Incense) but the rest of it's there.

After Ranma 1/2, there's Inu Yasha but that was really popular on Cartoon Network about 13 years ago. Basically, nobody talks about it much anymore and while the series DID adapt the last story arc of Inu Yashu I don't think the sales for that video set was spectacular and by the time that came out on DVD and Blu ray in the States the fandom had moved on.

Takahashi's latest series is Rin-Ne but nobody's really talking about it. It's been released by Sentai on Blu ray but they're not dubbing it. The interest in the series is just low otherwise Viz would have licensed it themselves.
Viz has licensed most of Takahashi's long-running series in the past (Ranma, Inu Yasha) as well as a few one-shot OVA's (Mermaid's Scar, One Pound Gospel) but they're really stingy about their anime budgets and go for shorter series that are "sure things." It's an annoying tendency but it's kept them in business and profitable.
They also released the anime version of Maison Ikkoku on DVD but that show's been long out of print in North America. It was probably the best adaptation of a medium-length Takahashi series I've seen...

So, with regards to Takahashi -- the manga is readily available, over half the anime ever released in the West is out of print. Some things like Rumic World and Rumic Theater have been out of print for years on DVD and it doesn't look like those shows will be picked up again any time soon. Shorter series like Rumic Theater and Mermaid Forest were not that well regarded.
Urusei Yatsura was never that popular and the only reason why the second UY feature film (Beautiful Dreamer) is back in print on DVD and Blu ray is because that film's director is the same man who directed the first two Ghost in the Shell anime feature films (of which only the first one is any good... The second film is a talking heads film and a waste of time).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1