• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Release the Spyce Anime Reveals 2 New Visuals

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:57 am Reply with quote
A couple of nice lovely yuri visuals. This anime is my most anticipated of the season, and possibly of the year as well.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:15 am Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
A couple of nice lovely yuri visuals. This anime is my most anticipated of the season, and possibly of the year as well.

It's obvious that the collaboration between Namori and Takahiro will be incredibly yuri-ish (and being YuruYuri's fan, I hope so), but I'm wondering why you prefer this particular show, and not 2-3 other canonical yuri show in the fall season? I mean that "Yagate Kimi ni Naru" or "Tonari no Kyuuketsuki-san" have yuri right in their premise and accordingly are pretty open about it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote
Hopefully, it is a good spy/agent show. Think I will take a look at it.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:22 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
It's obvious that the collaboration between Namori and Takahiro will be incredibly yuri-ish (and being YuruYuri's fan, I hope so), but I'm wondering why you prefer this particular show, and not 2-3 other canonical yuri show in the fall season? I mean that "Yagate Kimi ni Naru" or "Tonari no Kyuuketsuki-san" have yuri right in their premise and accordingly are pretty open about it.

I have seen their stuff and they are the one reason that I am investing in this new series. Namori knows what yuri and CGDCT should be and Takahiro did a great job on a mahou shoujo series that has some yuri. There is a chance that Release the Spyce could be actual yuri but we will see what happens during its airing. I am hype for Kyuuketsuki-san and YagaKimi, in that order, as well. They both have yuri in various ways but I wish that the former had better art and the latter did not have a certain someone.

However, I am also expecting that Spyce might pull off something that will betray some people's expectations and I have felt that a bunch of times. I know that Namori is not that type of person but anything can happen and I better expect the unexpected just in case. if that does happen, then it will be a major letdown and I will just drop it. Another thing is that I wish Namori would alter her art to be less moe and make the girls look like their age.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:26 pm Reply with quote
@John Hayabusa So you’re anticipating this more than a show based on a highly regarded manga about a canonical yuri romance...because the latter has a dude in it, who is likely the dude mentioned in the description for whom the protagonist has no feelings?

Having seen the first two episodes at Otakon, I don’t think this show will have any elements you will find undesirable. As for other people...it may appeal to those who liked Princess Principal, but it is not quite there yet, though I was still a little skeptical of PriPri at that point. I’m not exactly expecting it to receive rave reviews from this site, at least not for the first two episodes.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:54 pm Reply with quote
@zrnzle500 In terms of anticipation, it is clear as day that fans are wanting to see Spyce much more than YagaKimi, given the collaboration of two popular names in the anime/manga industry. So why should I not? Quite frankly, I would rather have full-fledged CGDCT that have yuri-heavy subtext and implications than canonical yuri that have too much poorly-developed drama and too many important dudes who sometimes are even fan-favored over the girls themselves. That is not the kind of yuri that I want. Those two issues plagued "canonical yuri" series like Yuri Kuma Arashi, Flip Flappers, Citrus, and Netsuzou Trap; the last one being an absolute disgrace to yuri. It seems the genre is highly regarded in manga but then it tends to be forgettable in anime. Yuru Yuri is literally the most successful living yuri series, in manga AND in anime, and it does not have said issues. Do not worry, I would rather have canonical yuri series than those self-insert/yuribait ones that some gullible yuri fans latch on. By the way, there is that yuri loli anime next season. Putting that along with the vampire yuri anime over YagaKimi.

Last edited by John Hayabusa on Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Having seen the first two episodes at Otakon, I don’t think this show will have any elements you will find undesirable. As for other people...it may appeal to those who liked Princess Principal, but it is not quite there yet, though I was still a little skeptical of PriPri at that point. I’m not exactly expecting it to receive rave reviews from this site, at least not for the first two episodes.

Well, that's why I first noticed this show for the first time, since it reminded me of Namori's version of PriPri, lol. But why do you think so about the reviews? This show does not look too exploitative or offensive.

@John Hayabusa Thanks for the answer.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
Well, that's why I first noticed this show for the first time, since it reminded me of Namori's version of PriPri, lol. But why do you think so about the reviews? This show does not look too exploitative or offensive.

I think it will be for more mundane reasons like them not finding it all that great. While the two episodes I saw looked good, I don’t think the visual execution will impress the reviewers like PriPri did. It also does not have a top level composer like PriPri had in Yuki Kajiura. Most saliently, Spyce is a bit ridiculous, as one might surmise from their combining the words spy and spice (which is not done for no reason, btw). PriPri was a bit ridiculous but it had some good character arcs for the girls, and it remains to be seen whether Spyce will accomplish the same feat. It’s possible one or two reviewers might see it more positively, but the reception from the (very modest) audience at the premiere was not enthusiastic or all that positive.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
@zrnzle500 Thank you for the information. Well, I understand that RtS will not be the same drama-driven and Hollywood-ish as PriPri, but for some reason it seems to me that it will be funny spy comedy in the pseudo-YuruYuri universe.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:26 pm Reply with quote
^While it can be comedically absurd, it seems more plot-driven than a pure comedy, and more like PriPri in that regard. We’ll see whether it pulls that off, though I don’t think those just looking for cute girls doing spy things (and yuri subtext) will disappointed, at least with what I saw.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:00 pm Reply with quote
@zrnzle500 Well Spyce may not a positive reception in that place but that was just a pre-air of things to come this autumn. I am not worried about people comparing it to PriPri in terms of quality and PriPri fans not having a good first impression of it. It could have something special and surprising down the line. I like PriPri too and I am looking forward to see those films. Also, thank you for giving me good hopes about this new yuritexty anime.
Vadara

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Oooh boy, the annual yuri show that airs and has an obnoxious fanbse proclaiming it the best show ever and then sells nothing at all. I missed this kind of show!
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
@Vadara No one is saying that this is the best show of the season, just one of the anticipated shows. Also, we are not saying that this is yuri like YagaKimi and Citrus, just that the yuri is heavily implied. At least this series is original, unlike your self-insert ship copycat that has an upcoming anime. Hopefully, they will have the guts to sack that male commander you talked about. :^)
RangerDanger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
^Original? Hardly, when Princess Principal exists. Not saying that the self-insert series is more original, just that what’s the point of being original if it falls flat on its face in execution (Yes, it’s possible)?
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:07 pm Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
In terms of anticipation, it is clear as day that fans are wanting to see Spyce much more than YagaKimi

What's your evidence? Polls reported on and conducted here haven't indicated that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2