• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: RErideD episodes 1-4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:26 am Reply with quote
B-but it namedrops a philosopher. It HAS to be good.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:31 am Reply with quote
I'm loving it so far. Also, the soundtrack is absolutely gorgeous. One of the best I've heard all year for sure.
Mhora

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:33 am Reply with quote
So disappointed in this entire show. Two words: generic and uninspired. Even the character designs are nothing to write home about. Pass! Sorry, ABe.
Flare-kun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying it so far. While its execution is imperfect, I appreciate that it's exploring some interesting ideas.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:24 am Reply with quote
I'll keep watch until the end in hopes that it will turn out to be good. After all, It is impossible to really judge Lain and Haibane Renmei in their opening episodes so hopefully this will be the case again once RErideD is finished.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
After all, It is impossible to really judge Lain and Haibane Renmei in their opening episodes so hopefully this will be the case again once RErideD is finished.

I must disagree entirely on this. Both of those series sharply distinguish themselves in their opening episodes and firmly establish their tones and approaches very early on. This one, not so much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:49 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:

Not only is the MC named Derrida, it is prominent in the title too. Could it be a hint about the direction the series will take?

In episode 1 Derrida flatly denied that time travel is possible: "Those stupid experiments cost me a part of my childhood memories... it's not possible. What is the key to traveling through time? To memories that can't be erased, to special times and places... Millennia of repeated study has brought us to one conclusion: People can't travel through time." Then he sighed, "Unrealized possibilities are no different from dreams."

So what kind of time travel is actually going on here? This series shares the same director as Steins;Gate, but I don't think we are going to see SG-style time travel here. If the title refers to the French philosopher Jacques Derrida (and I think it does), and given the fact that Derrida is one of the fathers of deconstructionism and post-modernism with his belief that there is no objective reality and that truth depends entirely on context, and the fact that the writer is Kenji Konuta (Texhnolyze) with the involvement of Abe Yoshitoshi (Texhnolyze, Serial Experiments Lain), we might be in for a pretty weird and surreal experience. (For example, the MC's mention of dreams might indicate a Lathe of Heaven type situation.)

I personally hope the series doesn't go down the Derrida/subjectivism route because then we are basically taking about a fantasy show, not SF.
AX3M

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:39 am Reply with quote
HuuskerDu wrote:
jl07045 wrote:

Not only is the MC named Derrida, it is prominent in the title too. Could it be a hint about the direction the series will take?

In episode 1 Derrida flatly denied that time travel is possible: "Those stupid experiments cost me a part of my childhood memories... it's not possible. What is the key to traveling through time? To memories that can't be erased, to special times and places... Millennia of repeated study has brought us to one conclusion: People can't travel through time." Then he sighed, "Unrealized possibilities are no different from dreams."

So what kind of time travel is actually going on here? This series shares the same director as Steins;Gate, but I don't think we are going to see SG-style time travel here. If the title refers to the French philosopher Jacques Derrida (and I think it does), and given the fact that Derrida is one of the fathers of deconstructionism and post-modernism with his belief that there is no objective reality and that truth depends entirely on context, and the fact that the writer is Kenji Konuta (Texhnolyze) with the involvement of Abe Yoshitoshi (Texhnolyze, Serial Experiments Lain), we might be in for a pretty weird and surreal experience. (For example, the MC's mention of dreams might indicate a Lathe of Heaven type situation.)

I personally hope the series doesn't go down the Derrida/subjectivism route because then we are basically taking about a fantasy show, not SF.
Holy! Your words just hyped me omfg. Are we really getting surreal s*** soon? F***ed-up reality + time travel? COUNT ME THE F****** IN!!!
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I think the main problem is that the show thinks it is a serious science fiction show but some of the events feel like they came out of a comedy. The scene where Derrida falls down an air vent, stumbles into a cryostasis pod, and than sleeps for 10 years is portrayed as serious drama even though it feels like a laugh track should be playing in the background. The bad guy is supposed to be a monster that doesn't care about people dying in the war as long as it makes him money but he is so cowardly and clueless that he doesn't feel like a threat. The show does have some interesting ideas such as spoiler[how events are altered depending on the actions that Derrida takes when his consciousness slips into the past] but the show has some noticeable flaws to it. I will probably keep watching it to see where the story goes.
DanQ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:28 am Reply with quote
That scene when Derrida trips and falls into cryochamber made me laught... and remind me first episode of FUTURAMA... well, in Futurama, Fry's trip to the future was more believable...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1