• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't Publishers Announce License Renewals?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Aniplex, for example, has famously started letting all of their licensing deals lapse so that they can retail all the rights to their own shows.)

Um, wouldn't a more proper term be "infamously"? Just wondering.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
so that they can retail all the rights to their own shows.

Should this be "retain", or is it a pun about how Aniplex will then sell the show under their own label?
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I've definitely been sad about Funi losing the licenses for all their Aniplex shows lately, which is a shame since they still let them license them.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I sometimes wish we had more notice for non-license renewals. For example, though this is just streaming, Beast Player Erin suddenly dropped off Crunchyroll in August with no notice.

Shin Chan also completely disappeared from Funimation's site earlier this month, though it's still on Funimation's YouTube and Hulu (until someone at Funi realizes it's supposed to go down, I guess).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:57 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation's letting a lot of their ex-ADV shows go like Nerima Daikon Brothers, Comic Party Revolution, Xenosaga, etc. I assume if they're still available, they just haven't run out of remaining stock. They all hit the S.A.V.E. line, and I doubt FUNi renews many of the titles banished to that brand.

invalidname wrote:
Quote:
so that they can retail all the rights to their own shows.

Should this be "retain", or is it a pun about how Aniplex will then sell the show under their own label?

I think in a very old ANNCast with someone from Aniplex, their spokesperson said they still have to pay a fee to license the shows. They probably just have a right of first refusal or something for any new or expired shows.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:07 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I sometimes wish we had more notice for non-license renewals. For example, though this is just streaming, Beast Player Erin suddenly dropped off Crunchyroll in August with no notice.

Shin Chan also completely disappeared from Funimation's site earlier this month, though it's still on Funimation's YouTube and Hulu (until someone at Funi realizes it's supposed to go down, I guess).

CR often does give notice even on their news page. While "Beast Player Erin" wasn't is weird. Though I did see the whole series, I wish it would have gotten an Eng. dub by now.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:04 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
CatSword wrote:

CR often does give notice even on their news page. While "Beast Player Erin" wasn't is weird. Though I did see the whole series, I wish it would have gotten an Eng. dub by now.
I'd settle for a sub-only disk release with improved subs. since the novels are getting an English release maybe at least that will happen. especially if more people get the novels and show there's demand.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:18 am Reply with quote
British publisher Pushkin published the 1st Erin novel on 3-1-2018. Something tells me that vol. didn't sell well enough because the translation and publishing of the 2nd would have been done by now. Counting the original size of the books, there are 4 novels in the series and 1 vol. of short stories. Kodansha re-published those 4 novels in smaller sizes that are 8 vol. and another re-published version that is also 4 vol.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
British publisher Pushkin published the 1st Erin novel on 3-1-2018. Something tells me that vol. didn't sell well enough because the translation and publishing of the 2nd would have been done by now. Counting the original size of the books, there are 4 novels in the series and 1 vol. of short stories. Kodansha re-published those 4 novels in smaller sizes that are 8 vol. and another re-published version that is also 4 vol.
The Pushkin release is actually the first two books in one, which may be why the second release isn't out yet. And to be fair, at least in the US the releases of the first two Moribito novels came about a year apart.

It's also of note an American publisher is planning to release the first Beast Player novel early next year and the same translator is listed for that release as well. They're doing a hardcover and ebook release and the page count listed on Amazon is smaller so they may be planning to release in 4 parts instead of two double volumes. That may be a factor into why more isn't out yet in English as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1