• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertorial: Own A Digital Copy of Fireworks Today!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:03 am Reply with quote
I already have the Blu-ray on pre-order. It Doesn't make sense why the digital copy came out before the physical release.
Doc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:06 am Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
I already have the Blu-ray on pre-order. It Doesn't make sense why the digital copy came out before the physical release.

They've been doing that with a lot of feature films lately.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:11 am Reply with quote
Doc wrote:
chrisc1978 wrote:

They've been doing that with a lot of feature films lately.

Its even cheaper then the list price of the dvd, it just sounds like they are trying to hurt physical copy sales. I used to buy Gkids movies at walmart but they didn't sell Mary and the witches flower on release day so I had to order from Amazon
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:09 pm Reply with quote
^^^
No Best Buy Around? They stock GKids.
(Not to judge, I grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and I bet there still isn't one up there...[looks]... oh wait... there's one in Marquette now... and one in Sault, Canada. So, either 2 hours or an international trip away from my old hometown)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
^^^
No Best Buy Around? They stock GKids.
(Not to judge, I grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and I bet there still isn't one up there...[looks]... oh wait... there's one in Marquette now... and one in Sault, Canada. So, either 2 hours or an international trip away from my old hometown)

The Best Buy's in my area did NOT stock Mary and the Witch's Flower and I'm in a Top 15 market.

Wal Mart DID carry Mary and the Witch's Flower... Wal Mart is actually pretty good at getting the GKids titles in stock.
They also carried Satellite Girl and Milk Girl, a Korean movie that wasn't stocked by Best Buy, either. Actually a good film.

EDIT: Best Buy did carry Mary and the Witch's Flower eventually. But not for a while.
Wal Mart was only the big chain that had it week of release. They've been pretty good about getting all the family-friendly and most of the Ghibli titles in-stock.

EVERYBODY has been shrinking their DVD sections. Barnes & Noble, Best Buy did a small shrinking, and even Wal Mart...

Face it, at some point the video section is going to get VERY small even in the last chain stores stocking a decent amount of discs.
You have to buy over half the anime titles sold online because they simply don't show in stores. I'd say at least 60% of the Funi titles NEVER make it to brick-and-mortar stores and if you want Sentai titles you gotta get them online or go to FYE (and pay more from the store).

Last edited by GeorgeC on Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
What on earth would I do with a digital copy? I've already seen the movie and it's pretty good but I want a physical copy. Totally worthless to me and a lot of other people.
SUPER_METR0lD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:11 pm Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:

It's standard practice for the digital version of movies to be released several weeks before the physical versions throughout the movie industry. So this isn't unusual or unexpected. As for why this is the practice? I can't say for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was related to trying to secure some early sales from impatient buyers, since most physical copies also come with a code for the digital version.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:16 pm Reply with quote
So that's why my Walmart just shrunk the dvd aisle to almost nothing.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
So that's why my Walmart just shrunk the dvd aisle to almost nothing.

I think that depends more on your area.

None of these stores are exactly alike and the stock can be dramatically different store-to-store.

It's true with Barnes & Noble. They're having their biannual Criterion sale now and you really have to check out stores before you go to buy videos because the inventory's different from store to store. My go-to store for Criterion sales just rearranged its video section and moved all the videos to the middle of that B&N and virtually wiped out what was left of its music section. They're basically LP's (which makes NO SENSE to me) and made room to sell a bunch of high-priced novelty collectibles like Japanese action figures and model kits.
They still have videos but they're in the middle of the store which--?!?

yeah, these places get desperate sometimes and they'll rearrange sections from one end of the store to the other and it just frustrates anybody trying to find things!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1