• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kingdom Hearts III Game's Video Reveals Returning Winnie-the-Pooh World

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Not quite digging the new Xehanort voice, but seeing Hayner do taekwondo is surprisingly funny.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:08 am Reply with quote
Heh, 100-Acre Wood has puzzle games now? Pretty interesting.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:16 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Not quite digging the new Xehanort voice, but seeing Hayner do taekwondo is surprisingly funny.

They had to find a new actor since Leonard Nimoy died. Yes Spock voiced Master Xehanort.
Angel Investor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:47 am Reply with quote
This game will single-handedly make my gaming PC obsolete for the first couple months of 2019. I haven't been this excited for a new video game since Persona 5. Hoping for a cool collector's edition.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:22 am Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

They had to find a new actor since Leonard Nimoy died. Yes Spock voiced Master Xehanort.

Sounds like they got someone to do their own take on the character rather then an impersonation.
Xehanorts Japanese VA died too so they've both been replaced.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:00 am Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

Of course new actors had to be found. But the new actor could've put more "oomph" into the line. Master Xehanort is a charismatic man with a fire in his soul that keeps him from dropping dead any second. This guy sounds winded and tired, like he's trying too hard to sound old. It's especially jarring because the new Japanese actor replacing Chikao Otsuka (also RIP) delivered the same line in the trailer with such bombast.
vampireknightgal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:26 pm Reply with quote
it's going to take some getting used to, but IMO I think the new VA is trying to do his best to mimic what Nimoy did for Xehanort. it was the same for genie when Williams passed on as well.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

I say we give the new VA a chance before judging him this critically based on a few lines in one trailer.

As for Hayner's kick, it became a meme instantly. XD
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

I’m fully aware that Leonard Nimoy voiced Xehanort. And that that means Spock has officially killed Luke Skywalker. I’m just saying that they could have had someone who could replicate the voice, since they’ve done that with all the other Kingdom Hearts recastings.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:03 pm Reply with quote
vampireknightgal wrote:
it's going to take some getting used to, but IMO I think the new VA is trying to do his best to mimic what Nimoy did for Xehanort. it was the same for genie when Williams passed on as well.

Dan Castellaneta has been voicing Genie for quite a while, long before Robin Williams's death. I do remember him being the voice of Genie in Aladdin: The Animated Series. As I watched every episode of that when I was younger, I more readily recognize Castellaneta's voice (as he also sometimes voiced Genie in commercials for the Disney Channel and ABC) than Williams.

It's probably why I didn't really have a problem with hearing Castellaneta as Genie in Kingdom Hearts 1.

If I recall correctly, it's because Robin Williams didn't want to work with Disney at that time, so they had to find someone who sounded reasonably similar.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Castellaneta was Genie in the direct-to-video Return of Jafar as well as the TV series. It's why Disney made such a big deal of Robin Williams reprising the role in the third movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1