• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are DVDs and Blu-rays Sold As Combo Packs?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote
There was a period of time when I knew that I was soon going to be transitioning from DVD to Bluray, but didn't want to miss out on limited edition releases of shows. While many of the Funimation titles that I bought during that period were combo packs, there are still many Sentai-released shows in my collection for which I have DVDs for Season One and Blurays for Season Two. In hindsight, I wish that those shows had been offered as combo packs.

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I am not really bothered by DVDs so I enjoy having the DVD/Blu-ray combo packs. I consider the Blu-ray my backup for the shows I watch the most. If the DVD wears out I know I have an extra copy.
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I teach at a college and have a number of students who love getting my DVDs. They love anime but do not have a lot of money. So people may consider giving their DVDs to a local college, specifically to an anime club.
SailorPluto1313

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy making AMV's, so I convert the DVD's to MP4s and use the Blu-Rays to watch. As a collector, I like combo packs because I feel like I'm getting more bang for my buck.

Also it is nice to lend someone an anime (the DVDs) and I keep the Blu-Rays in case I want to watch it while they are borrowing it. And as someone else mentioned, I like to have a backup in case something happens to one of the discs.

I have had some rare cases where I didn't have access to a Blu-Ray player or a console that plays Blu-Rays so it was really nice to be able to whip out the DVDs and watch them.

So for me, it boils down to my hobbies, my status as a collector, and backup in case of blu-ray damage, or letting people borrow my DVDs.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I love combo packs. I virtually cannot imagine who would complain about them.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:02 pm Reply with quote
DVDs are still needed (slowly going away but still needed) unfortunately there aren't very many portable blu ray players out there still and desktop computers still often only come with a DVD disc drive and not a blu ray drive (to keep costs down for pre builds) those reasons are slowly going away but because of these alone it makes sense to continue putting them in there.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:

Agreed!
I liked them a lot during the time I hadn't yet bought a Blu-ray player. It was nice to be able to buy something and watch it on on my DVD player right away, knowing that whenever I got around to picking up a BD player I'd already have the higher quality media on hand. It was also handy for sharing a show with others: no matter which player they had you were good to go.
bones2039

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I guess I have never understood why people get upset at the combo packs. They never bothered me. There was a time before I upgraded my DVD player to a Blu Ray player that I thought they were pretty great. I can purchase a show I like now and watch it on the format I own but I already have the next format ready to go when I get around to making the jump from DVD to BD. Not much of a gamer so I never had a console that played BD so I wasn't the fastest to upgrade when my DVD player worked perfectly fine.

I have loaned out the DVD copies to friends because if something happens with that copy, I won't be too upset about it. I also have a small portable DVD player that I sometimes take on trips and use the DVD for that as well. If I accidently leave the DVD behind I'm not without the show on BD.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:

It's not too surprising since there used to be a fairly common complaint about having to pay for a dub that the person didn't intend to watch, even though the added cost is pretty small there, too.

In terms of combo-pack pricing, it always seemed like the better deal overall, to me. A recent release from Funimation is typically within $5 of a blu-ray only release from Sentai during the same release window. At the very least, it makes it pretty clear that the bulk of the cost is, as Justin said, going toward paying for the license and retailer markup.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I’ve never been a fan of combopacks, and I’m personally glad they are fading away. for me, it’s just wasted space and plastic. Actually, a large number of companies I buy home video releases from have dumped DVD altogether or only use when it there are no HD masters available.

And yes, I’m aware that I could give them away or sell them, but I’d just rather never deal with the clutter in the first place. I can understand why some people like them, but I just don’t fall into that category.
PmChivas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:

You'd be surprised how much newer and some older fans complain about the combo packs. I think this is part of the reason Sentai Filmworks decided to discontinue their DVD line besides the financial savings for their company. Question However, as an older anime fan, I, too enjoy the combo packs and I watch both versions included, especially when I re-watch a show right after I finish it. I'll switch to the other discs, so both sides get play-time. Additionally, I have a blu-ray and regular DVD setup in two different rooms, and it's great that I watch an anime in one room and pick it up when I move to another room. And like others have pointed out, it's nice to have the combo when lending out a series to friends, friends, or visiting family or friends who may not have a blu-ray player. And you still have a copy at home in case you get the urge to watch a series yourself. Plus with the combo packs, I do feel like I'm getting more bang for my buck with 4 or more discs instead of 2 or 3. Very Happy Lastly, I adore the combo's from Funimation not only for the reasons stated above, but due their continued committed use of white subtitles -- it's easier on my eyes to read the white subs on their DVD releases than their blu-rays. Twisted Evil Cool
xchampion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't even feel bad saying this. How can people still watch or hell even prefer DVDs over blu-rays? Y'all have had 13 years to switch over. HDTVs and bluray players are so cheap you can afford them on minimum wage. There really are no excuses at this point. The only excuse is if you switched to strictly digital and have forsaken hardcopies in my opinion.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
I don't even feel bad saying this. How can people still watch or hell even prefer DVDs over blu-rays? Y'all have had 13 years to switch over. HDTVs and bluray players are so cheap you can afford them on minimum wage. There really are no excuses at this point. The only excuse is if you switched to strictly digital and have forsaken hardcopies in my opinion.

I switched years ago, but I did switch fairly late in the game. For me, the reason was two-fold:
1) I have a high-end system, so it wasn't just a matter of buying a cheapo player or TV from Walmart. I had to find something good enough, and with the right combination of inputs/outputs, to integrate into the rest of my system. That made it a significant expense I had to plan and budget for.

2) For quite a while there simply wasn't anything coming out that I was interested in buying on Blu-Ray. I read about new releases at the time, but I either already had it on LD or DVD, or I wasn't interested in it.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:

I'm 17. My TV and laptop have built-in DVD players. I asked for a Blu-Ray player for Christmas many years ago but was told they were a "fad."

I plan to get one at some point in the semi-near future, but these are my current reasons for purchasing/needing DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bones2039

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:

I have one friend that refuses to get rid of his DVD player and get a BD player. Why you ask? Because his DVD player still works perfectly fine so why upgrade is his thinking. He doesn't see enough of a difference between DVD and BD to think its worth spending the money.

I don't agree with him on that but to each there own. He isn't wrong that the DVD player still works but to be upset about extra features only being on the BD discs or that the stores are stocking more BD than the DVD when he can afford to get a BD player just seems like he is stuck in the past.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5