• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Did Crunchyroll and Funimation Divorce?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zof

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:08 pm Reply with quote
For me, this whole affair reminded me how much I hate chasing shows across ten different outlets a season, so I did something about it. Now I'm my own streaming solution and I couldn't be happier. No more having five freaking apps on my phone. ONE app that just works. Now I never have to care again.

Note: I'm still paying the subscriptions though. I'm just doing their job for them better by consolidating everything for my convenience.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
From the article:
Quote:
(although most of Funimation's dubs are being pulled from Crunchyroll)

I don't recall Funimation placing a single dub on CR. Did you mean something else there?
Wyaku

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Don't they know how how hard this is on the kids? At least wait until I'm, in college? Seriously though maybe this will give new up and coming VA's a place to showcase their talents in the race to be as dubby as Funimation. The face of this industry was never clear from the beginning shedding, replacing, and concealing its face like an entertainment assassin bent on making parents and the occasional pop in viewer uncomfortable as if by design. I just hope this doesn't hurt the casual viewer.
AManOfCharacter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Zof wrote:
No more having five freaking apps on my phone. ONE app that just works. Now I never have to care again.

Note: I'm still paying the subscriptions though. I'm just doing their job for them better by consolidating everything for my convenience.

Plex + “acquired” episodes I’m guessing? I put all of my BDs into Plex, and I buy a lot. Paying the subs but then grabbing episodes sounds pretty convenient. I’m tempted... but I don’t endorse piracy, of course.
Wyaku

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:21 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
From the article:
Quote:

I don't recall Funimation placing a single dub on CR. Did you mean something else there?

I think they might have been referring to VRV's streaming service. Maybe.
Zof

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:24 pm Reply with quote
AManOfCharacter wrote:
Zof wrote:
No more having five freaking apps on my phone. ONE app that just works. Now I never have to care again.

Plex + “acquired” episodes I’m guessing? I put all of my BDs into Plex, and I buy a lot. Paying the subs but then grabbing episodes sounds pretty convenient. I’m tempted... but I don’t endorse piracy, of course.

I don't consider it piracy if I own the rights to stream the works. Heck, some of them multiple times. Honestly, if things were the way they used to be, where I was only watching 2 or 3 shows a season, I wouldn't be so hyper about still paying the subscription fees. It's just, I'm watching so many freaking shows now as the quality overall keeps going up each season that I'd feel like a jerk not paying.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
You missed where one of the goals of funimation now is to eventually start dubbing in multiple languages. I'm interested to see how that goes once it's up and running.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Because Sony NTR'd Funi from Crunchy, understood
Mistaken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
easy. CH isn't successful and funi is. simple as that.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
From the article:
Quote:

Probably subs, it is a one letter difference and the letters are right next to each other on a keyboard.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
With Disney readying their "Disney+" service, which every studio now believes will be a "Netflix-crushing juggernaut" (because they really don't understand streaming or its viewers all that well Confused ), the push has been for studios to arms-race their own all-encompassing studio-branded content services.

As pointed out, that's why Warner took all their Archive classics off of FilmStruck--so they could circle the demographic wagons with one Warner-branded service--and why Sony became so interested in "The One Anime Company They'd Heard of", since their own brief attempt to spin off an all-anime version of Crackle never went anywhere.
As far as Sony is concerned, Funi is "the Anime Industry in America", and CR is a geek-niche that was doing fine without them.
gacha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I just hope Sony won't start censoring everything on Funi.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote
The short answer is money. The long answer is that Sony is hoping to create a streaming video service with sufficient video content that it can be like Netflix which is the dream that many studios have. Sony will include Funimation in a future Sony video steaming service. Also Warner will include Crunchyroll in a future Warner video streaming service so the break up would have happened soon no matter what.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:37 pm Reply with quote
The biggest questions I have going forward is: What happens to sequels in the future? I'm assuming they will go back to competing over those licenses, which could get pretty expensive since both will want "their" show. That's a tad ironic considering licensing costs were the reason for the partnership. Not to mention, would CR have any interest in retaining the dub cast? My guess is no since they would be hiring a competitor, but maybe that would be worth it to sell more copies.

I have to wonder if the end of it wasn't a bit confusing on their end, too. I watched the dub of the Relife OVA on the Tuesday it came out on Funimation Now, which was after the end date of the partnership, and by that Saturday, it was gone. Same story for Twin Star Exorcists, but that one wasn't a surprise since Funimation only distributed it, though I thought maybe the ones they dubbed for Crunchyroll would stay. I'd say the number of shows that completely left Funimation was more than the "handful" it suggested before.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I take it Aniplex and Funiamtion will continue to operate independently? Because that is the ideal scenario, Aniplex continue with Fate and other such titles and Funimation do whatever they are going to be done from next year on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5