• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! Take on Me

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I watched my Sentai BD copy of Take on Me this past week. It is a fine movie, not as good as the great first season, but it is to me an adequate and satisfying conclusion to the story. As a big fan of the Chuunibyou franchise this movie is a keeper, but I cannot fault Paul for giving it a Rental rating.

Paul wrote:
and even this film's more definitive conclusion is somewhat compromised in order to keep the door open for a sequel.

I seriously doubt there will be more anime content for Chuunibyou in the future. This franchise does not seem to be a huge money maker for KyoAni like Free is.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Today's the day. I need to order Hells and the Gold of Babylon movie. Can't believe it's the 26th already; the time just flew by.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I caught this fansubbed not long after it was released. I have a violent allergy to dubbed anime so I won't be buying the BD, but if it's your cup of tea then by all means snag it.

My take: I posted in an anime forum that it could easily have been titled "Yuuta and Rikka's Excellent Adventure". The road trip serves not to advance their relationship, despite the reviewer's complaints in this area, but to test their resolve to it by taking them out of their comfortable home and place them in a situation where they need to rely on one another, even when things don't go as planned. There's an edge-of-your-seat feel as the pair race from Tokyo to Osaka to Hokkaido to Aomori staying one step ahead of their pursuit, and even though the side characters are given their moments, some quite hilarious, this movie is still all about Yuuta and Rikka, and less about Chuunibyou than it is about two young people and their determination to their commitment to one another.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Fred Lougee wrote:
I have a violent allergy to dubbed anime so I won't be buying the BD

That must be some allergy if it affects you just having the dub encoded on the same disk as the Japanese track.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Fred Lougee wrote:
I have a violent allergy to dubbed anime so I won't be buying the BD

That must be some allergy if it affects you just having the dub encoded on the same disk as the Japanese track.

I was thinking the exact thing. "I caught this fansubbed" so I'm guessing it wasn't a "catch and release" sort of thing? I was going to wait to for it to show up on HIDive but I bought the BD instead because even the worse Kyoto Animation movie is still better than any... most... at least half of their TV series.

But that's mostly thanks to Beyond the Boundary and Myriad Colors Phantom World.

Even if the movie's only have as good as the first season, it'd still be worth owning. Also, I'm a fan of Tatsuya Ishihara, the least respected of KA's directors but the one with the most successes in his output.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Considering how much dubbed anime there is now, I wonder if he lives in one of those plastic bubble homes.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I saw some episodes of Dinosaur King while babysitting my cousin because he loves the show
the cgi on the dinosaurs is so bad and meshes so terribly with the anime art that it's hilarious
the opening song has some really bad effects on display
I know it's just aimed for kids but man those effects were a riot

also like half the voice actors were in Pokemon
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:39 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I watched my Sentai BD copy of Take on Me this past week. It is a fine movie, not as good as the great first season, but it is to me an adequate and satisfying conclusion to the story. As a big fan of the Chuunibyou franchise this movie is a keeper, but I cannot fault Paul for giving it a Rental rating.

I saw it in the theater a week ago, and I thought it, while not best film of the year, or even the best KyoAni film of the year (Liz and the Blue Bird is admittedly a high bar), was a great film nonetheless - especially for fans of the original - and I enjoyed seeing it in the theater. I will agree that it is a keeper, if only because I preordered it prior to seeing it in the theater (or rather before I knew it was going to be released in theaters in the US) so I kind of have to at this point. The film strip that came with it was a nice touch though.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:27 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Considering the property isn’t owned by KyoAni, of course it wouldn’t be. It’s a TBS property that they animate for them. Any decisions on future sequels would be up to TBS, and there is no guanratee they would use the same studio.
Wait, when did that happen? Wasn't Chu2Koi the first adaptation of a novel from KyoAni's awards, organized by the studio with the specific purpose of producing works of their own? Last time I checked KyoAni was still at the top of the production committee for all Chu2Koi animated works, and the copyright notice in the movie's credits only mentions the novels' author, the studio and the production committee, with TBS only included implicitly as a member of the committee.
Zof

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
The did NOT fail in the second sense. It completely and utterly won in the second sense. He quite clearly established that he didn't care what it was they had, he loved her and he never wanted it to end. That it didn't matter. That they didn't have to follow some bullshit timeline dictated by society. That she was free to be whoever she wanted to be because he loves her. That sounds pretty clear to me.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:39 am Reply with quote
I also caught this in a movie theatre last week.
I enjoyed it.. essentially its a 3rd season in a movie form, and not ground breaking or earth shattering plot development it does accomplish something that took 2 seasons for at the very end.

This title is an amusing one, and for fans of the series this movie does not disappoint.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1