• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Highschool of the Dead Manga Artist Says 'It's Not Easy' to Draw Continuation

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:17 pm Reply with quote
My god, when was the last time I saw this manga mentioned?? It's a shame, as an artist I know how hard it is to continue writing or drawing a story after you've put the pen down for months. But, I don't think anyone has any interest in HOTD anymore. I know my 12 year old self was interested, now?? Not anymore. I would still love to see it be continued though, even if it's just fun nonsense.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
My god, when was the last time I saw this manga mentioned?? It's a shame, as an artist I know how hard it is to continue writing or drawing a story after you've put the pen down for months. But, I don't think anyone has any interest in HOTD anymore. I know my 12 year old self was interested, now?? Not anymore. I would still love to see it be continued though, even if it's just fun nonsense.

The problem here is that author is dead, and the artist doesn't know how the story would progress. So it's more than just a simple "writing block".
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
But, I don't think anyone has any interest in HOTD anymore.

Let me tell you, you'd be surprised. Give us a chapter and the whole community will come out of the woodworkd.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the biggest fears with these manga authors is that they could pass away before they finish the story.

Sadly, this seems to be the case for HOTD and I don't think anyone is going to attempt to finish this story.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
i'd love too see it...wont happen though.
got both colored edition hard copies, limited edition anime set and a pretty wicked poster on my wall of this series and i consider myself a casual fan : P
DenimAndLeather

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Completely understandable, as much as I adore HOTD (it pretty much got me into anime) I wouldn't want a continuation given the authors passing and the exact outlines in the article. Just would not feel right to me. The same goes for any medium where a major creative influence / originator passes away.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:37 pm Reply with quote
When the original writer is you know, dearly departed, it’s perfectly understandable. It blows, I liked how shameless the show was while never being too stupid, but no author = no story.
Lucky_Deity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see the series finished, it was the first anime I ever watched knowing what anime was so I have a lot of nostalgia for it but I can completely see where the artist is coming from and I respect him for that. What we have from the series will always be remembered and loved dearly by the fans. I really must read the manga sometime, I need to pick up those two hardback colour editions.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the international community is so in love with this show, though God knows for which aspect really, the harem, the ecchi, the over the top impossible action scenes or just the zombies. Most can't allowed themselves to remember Gakkou Gurashi in any way since it doesn't featured anything else except the z word, meanwhile High School of the Dead offers nudity even to disgruntled viewers. And oh, that other show got romance and a male protagonist so, more in touch with your usual anime fans of course, as CGDCT characters can't be sunken into. I for one, would like to see more of Gakkou Gurashi instead in animated form but that's probably not gonna happen. This world needs more of absurd breast physique, out of place lewd fanservice, harem situation, and prolonged nudity in an apocalyptic setting, because it's what people wants.
Slashman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
Yes, the international community is so in love with this show, though God knows for which aspect really, the harem, the ecchi, the over the top impossible action scenes or just the zombies. Most can't allowed themselves to remember Gakkou Gurashi in any way since it doesn't featured anything else except the z word, meanwhile High School of the Dead offers nudity even to disgruntled viewers. And oh, that other show got romance and a male protagonist so, more in touch with your usual anime fans of course, as CGDCT characters can't be sunken into. I for one, would like to see more of Gakkou Gurashi instead in animated form but that's probably not gonna happen. This world needs more of absurd breast physique, out of place lewd fanservice, harem situation, and prolonged nudity in an apocalyptic setting, because it's what people wants.

Wow...you sound bitter...
danpmss

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I have yet to surpass my "MM!" trauma when it comes to sudden death of the writer.

Few series have the luck of having people who knew very well the plans in irder to continue the same work posthumously, and even more luck to have an editor writing in the same style as the author at that, like "Zero no Tsukaima"'s case.

This author particularly wasn't quite known for being too open about his plans, and much for the contrary, he was rather reserved about it to the very end.

Last edited by danpmss on Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
Nacirema

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Although people are upset, this is a better than what happen in America with comics and animation. There is a big desire to make content without the original creator involvement. You see that with superhero comics and Disney direct-to-video sequel. This desire to end a story when the creator die remind me of what going on with Satoshi Kon last movie. It would be nice to have closure but ruining the quality of the story is a drawback. Also the death of the creator when they writing a story don't happen really often so a lot of times creators are able to begin and end a story.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Nacirema wrote:
Although people are upset, this is a better than what happen in America with comics and animation. There is a big desire to make content without the original creator involvement.

Many comic book creators don't own their works which can be a good or really crappy thing. Same thing with animated shows which are owned by the networks that produced them.
forexjammer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:

Man, you sound really mad. Both are crap.
Slashman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
I don't know, right wing nutjobs seem ten a penny online I'm sure they could find one of them to carry on writing it.

Wait what now?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3