• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kun Gao Steps Down as Crunchyroll GM

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Araragifeels

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't feel so good. I feel that Crunchyroll will go through big changes and these changes are coming from the top, AT&T. I am just hoping that I don't see more stuff like "High Guardian Spice" coming to Crunchyroll instead I would rather Crunchyroll produced/co-produced anime and make improvement.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Araragifeels wrote:
I don't feel so good. I feel that Crunchyroll will go through big changes and these changes are coming from the top, AT&T. I am just hoping that I don't see more stuff like "High Guardian Spice" coming to Crunchyroll instead I would rather Crunchyroll produced/co-produced anime and make improvement.
Crunchyroll has been co-producing anime for years.
Araragifeels

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:11 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
Araragifeels wrote:

I know that but I am trying to say is that I don't want Crunchyroll to waist money on non anime show instead keep investing on producing/co-producing anime.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Araragifeels wrote:
64BitRatchet wrote:
Araragifeels wrote:

I know that but I am trying to say is that I don't want Crunchyroll to waist money on non anime show instead keep investing on producing/co-producing anime.

I agree with you, also my main worry is potential censorship in the future. Crunchroll is currently airing Goblin Slayer and hasn't backed down from that, they added a brief warning at the start of episodes which is fine. I'm worried about when the next controversial show comes out what might happen, maybe they'll censor it themselves or remove it from the site all together.

Even if you hate Goblin Slayer you should defend people's right to watch it, and the creator's ability to make it. Censorship sucks and it affects all of us.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:

Being a name on the production committee list =\= co-producing anime. Unless Crunchyroll has their own team of animators and writers, they're not actually co-producing anything. Afterall, most of those shows are based on existing works like manga or light novels. Their name on the production committee essentially means they get first dibs on licensing/streaming rights.

( although the idea that CR was behind certain titles they're on the production committee for like Dies Irae does lead to some funny implications Laughing )

But yeah.. the head guy stepping down now does seem suspicious in light of recent going-ons.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
"bright future" doesnt sound so good as its often followed by "he has a bright future ahead of him if he can get through these challenges"

I assume the loss of funi and ATTs declining relevance as well as VRV's uncertainty and lack of actually desiring to expand to mainstream relevance is leaving CR in a pretty terrible place. With only BLack CLover and Boruto/Naruto Shippuden supporting it, they will be left behind by the other players in the space.

I bet price increases will soon be forthcoming.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
I agree with you, also my main worry is potential censorship in the future. Crunchroll is currently airing Goblin Slayer and hasn't backed down from that, they added a brief warning at the start of episodes which is fine. I'm worried about when the next controversial show comes out what might happen, maybe they'll censor it themselves or remove it from the site all together.

They're also airing Senran Kagura this season which if you only watch on mobile you'll miss it as it's one of their series they have to stream desktop. SK is offered both in an uncensored version only available to premium CR users and a censored version that releases like their shows typically do (premium the second it's released, and then made available to all users). It's actually a novel way to release the series since it gives an incentive to go CR premium, and is something I could easily see them doing to many more future shows. SK series of course being somewhat relevant in regards to what the game side of the series is currently going through (particularly with Sony).
omoikane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
64BitRatchet wrote:

Being a name on the production committee list =\= co-producing anime. Unless Crunchyroll has their own team of animators and writers, they're not actually co-producing anything.

The best producers only need to bring together the right creators and the right sponsors, the rest will produce themselves. CR might be a money source in a lot of their coproductions but that is, well, what coproducing anime takes.

But please, keep talking the talk, just shows you've not seen Wooser.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
64BitRatchet wrote:

Being a name on the production committee list =\= co-producing anime. Unless Crunchyroll has their own team of animators and writers, they're not actually co-producing anything. Afterall, most of those shows are based on existing works like manga or light novels. Their name on the production committee essentially means they get first dibs on licensing/streaming rights.

That's not what co-producing is. You don't need your own teams of animators and writers to co-produce something, hell you don't even need those things to entirely produce something. By that logic, many major animation studios and production companies in Japan, like Aniplex, A-1 Pictures, CyGames, etc, don't produce anime either, since most or all of their shows are animated/written by freelance animators and writers. Production in the context of media is literally acquiring funding and bringing creators together, not physically making the project.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
"bright future" doesnt sound so good as its often followed by "he has a bright future ahead of him if he can get through these challenges"

I assume the loss of funi and ATTs declining relevance as well as VRV's uncertainty and lack of actually desiring to expand to mainstream relevance is leaving CR in a pretty terrible place. With only BLack CLover and Boruto/Naruto Shippuden supporting it, they will be left behind by the other players in the space.

I bet price increases will soon be forthcoming.

What? How are Black Clover and Naruto the "only" things keeping them afloat? I'm sure those series get a good amount of views and money, but I hardly would say they're the only things that do. There's other series on there that are popular, One Piece for starters.

Plus even the smaller collective of niche shows with a smaller amount of fans add up.
mrakai

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like the blackout period to cash out after the acquisition is up.

Very common for acquired companies to see leadership and talent drain when they are no longer contractually obliged to stay and have a pile of cash or stock to fall back on.
teferi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Waage commented, "We have big plans to create more 360-degree experiences for fans via content, games, merchandise, events, and more."

Oof. That's a load of corporate buzzword speak.

I just hope that they aren't losing sight of the fact that most of their subscribers don't have any use for CR outside of watching anime.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Araragifeels wrote:

Which also has the potential to be a waste of money.

HoboSoup wrote:

I agree with you, also my main worry is potential censorship in the future. Crunchroll is currently airing Goblin Slayer and hasn't backed down from that,

Not sure why they would've backed down from airing Goblin Slayer simply because of it's content.

HoboSoup wrote:

they added a brief warning at the start of episodes which is fine. I'm worried about when the next controversial show comes out what might happen, maybe they'll censor it themselves or remove it from the site all together.

I've never heard of them doing either of those things so I don't know where the worry is from especially since some of the stuff they air is edited anyway.

HoboSoup wrote:
Even if you hate Goblin Slayer you should defend people's right to watch it,

...Yeah it's kind of hard to defend people's right to watch an anime of something that's become infamous for depicting sexual violence against women. If you want to watch something like that specifically for the above reason that's fine but the idea of sticking up for people's right to watch content specifically for that reason is not the debate you really want to have.

HoboSoup wrote:
Censorship sucks and it affects all of us.

In this particular instance no it doesn't.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why there isn't the same outrage towards Crunchyroll co-producing the Blade Runner anime like there is over High Guardian Spice.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I wonder why there isn't the same outrage towards Crunchyroll co-producing the Blade Runner anime like there is over High Guardian Spice.

I would guess because people actually like Blade Runner. Although it being CG kills my interest in it, personally.

teferi wrote:
I just hope that they aren't losing sight of the fact that most of their subscribers don't have any use for CR outside of watching anime.

I feel that's exactly where this is heading. Crunchyroll wants to be a brand name, not just an anime streaming website. They've been moving that way for a few years now with their podcasts and short video series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2