• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - Who Decides Which Ecchi Manga Get Shrinkwrapped?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I went to a Barnes and Noble once that didn't shrinkwrap anything. Other bookstores seem to shrinkwrap 16+ and 18+ manga at random. Monster Musume is one I always check - some stores don't wrap it ("eh, it's Older Teen!"), others do.

The criteria seems to be looser then it used to be - Del Rey shrinkwrapped and put a warning on the front of Negima! back on the day, but now every bookstore has the omnibus volumes from Kodansha without any shrinkwrap or warnings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I've seen Monster Musume shrinkwrapped AND boxed on the shelf, where Coolkyoushinja's Mononoke Sharing was unwrapped and had far more explicit content than Monster Musume is ever likely to have.

Mark Gosdin

Last edited by mgosdin on Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing shrink wrap on the floor or stuffed into the shelves of Shonen Jump and Yu-Gi-Oh manga that contained cards at Books-a-Million all the time. Damn kids stealing the cards inside.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:11 am Reply with quote
A large Barnes and Noble close to me which carries a lot of manga doesn't shrink wrap anything. Risque art books and art books with nudity are also not shrink wrapped so I guess the store hasn't received any complaints.

Quote:
Many Japanese bookstores like Kinokuniya shrink-wrap most of their manga, risque or not, to protect them from being shopworn by people who like to read manga before buying. (or never buying in some cases, but I digress)

I didn't know that. I haven't been to a Kinokuniya for 2 decades now but I thought free manga foraging at the bookstore was a tradition! Very Happy
Yunho

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I know 2nd and Charles (owned by BAM!, which we don't have) here will wrap up explicit yaoi and sell it. I remember seeing Ten-Count, Jackass, and Awkward Silence which I think they do not sell in physical stores at Barnes and Noble.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:01 pm Reply with quote
That's very interesting about some Japanese book stores shrink-wrapping to protect against simple browsing. I'd think if there were multitudes of a particular title sitting about it might be wise at the least to "demo" one with the others wrapped. Here in the US I find myself thumbing through particular titles I see on the shelf that I didn't realize had been translated into English or re-released.

I remember when I was younger in the 90s I used to buy most of my manga from a local comic book store (when the owner would actually stock random manga, which most no one asked for). The clerks would often card if you attempted to buy risqué titles. I remember being asked once when I was buying CPM's Time Traveler Ai and Maxion; two CPM series with a lot of nudity. The owner happened to be standing around and said to the clerk, paraphrasing, "that's that anime stuff in black and white; there's not really anything crazy in it. It's okay."
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:47 am Reply with quote
I preorder most of my manga through my local comic shop. Some obvious titles do come already shrink wrapped. I know it is not the shop putting it on, so it was done either by the publisher or Diamond.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:10 am Reply with quote
New imported books, such as U.S.-published manga, are hand-wrapped in plastic in the Philippines. This is probably because bookstores here buy imported stock on a non-returnable basis in exchange for a bigger discount, so they want to prevent browsing damage. Doing international returns would probably be a pain, too.
kaynedenny5454

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
Can we just calm down about Ecchi! There are worse things than Ecchi such as A Serbian Film,Where The Dead Go To Die,Vomit Gore series ,and August Underground Mordum.
nDroae

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:48 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Quote:
Many Japanese bookstores like Kinokuniya shrink-wrap most of their manga, risque or not, to protect them from being shopworn by people who like to read manga before buying. (or never buying in some cases, but I digress)

I didn't know that. I haven't been to a Kinokuniya for 2 decades now but I thought free manga foraging at the bookstore was a tradition! Very Happy

That's interesting; CR writer Noelle Ogawa wrote this recently:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2018/11/02/confessions-of-a-real-skeleton-bookseller-working-in-a-bookstore-is-a-horror-show-honda-san-gets-right
Quote:
Of course, bookstores in Japan do function differently than those in the US, and if you’ve ever stepped into an overseas shop like Kinokuniya before, you’d notice one big difference: manga are shrinkwrapped. In the US, only certain titles are shrinkwrapped, namely those with explicit content, but it definitely isn’t the norm. As a result, browsing culture doesn’t exist in Japanese bookstores. You can guess the content from the cover or ask recommendations from employees, but there is no sitting and flipping through the entire book. Most likely this is to encourage customers to purchase instead of browse, but the flipside is you usually have to know what you want to buy beforehand.

Anyone know when they started shrink wrapping a large majority of manga? What about LNs and normal books, is it considered bad to stay and read for too long?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:26 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I went to a Barnes and Noble once that didn't shrinkwrap anything. Other bookstores seem to shrinkwrap 16+ and 18+ manga at random. Monster Musume is one I always check - some stores don't wrap it ("eh, it's Older Teen!"), others do.

The criteria seems to be looser then it used to be - Del Rey shrink wrapped and put a warning on the front of Negima! back on the day, but now every bookstore has the omnibus volumes from Kodansha without any shrinkwrap or warnings.

Some rules are to stupid to being written, driving with alcohol or drugs I understand, blocked boobs and other sexual parts not. Killing someone under 18 you get mostly 1 year probation
In my country it's allowed to drink and use drugs and have sex at 16+, but manga is forbidden?

[Religion-based hate speech removed ~Zalis] is a confused person, a person with Japanese manga on his computer is a pedofile and is sentenched for years in prison!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1