• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Anime to Remake Like It's 1999 [2019-01-05]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Survey is over.

But it literally just started. Confused
Mhora

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Pet Shop of Horror would prob be too clean looking if they remade it today. Wouldnt have that 90s gritty look to it.
Marzan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Crest/Banner of the Stars is one of my favorite series but I must confess the art/animation was never stellar so a remake would be godsent. Though, I fear this kind of old school space opera doesn't really have a lot of public nowadays so it would probably have a very small budget.

It's shame we never got translations of any of the novels past nr.3 too.

Ryvius was pretty good too (although some of the characters were absolutely insufferable but I guess that was the point). Still got that OST somewhere. It's so incredibly late 90's that it has to be heard to be believed.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I could get behind remakes of Corrector Yui and Betterman.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I would get behind a remake of Betterman 1000%. Also adored Crest/Banner of the Stars. I have more hope, albeit small, that Betterman would get a remake before Crest of the Stars, however. Betterman covers more genres that are still appealing to audiences today, such as horror, gore, and mystery. Unfortunately, space-themed series that aren't Gundam or Space Battleship have had a terrible time of gaining any traction in the past couple decades. I can hardly think of one that succeeded without diminishing any "space" aspect to itself, often by relegating almost all activity to a single given location (space station, planet, ship, etc.).
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting on the Saber Marionette reboot that was mentioned a couple years back.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Anime to Remake ?

No, please no. Remakes are one of the reasons movies nowadays are mostly crap (the others are, sequels, prequels, reboots and PC).
If something are great, there are no reason to remake them (True Grit, The Magnificent Seven, Ghostbusters, Ben-Hur, The Mummy for example didn't need any remake, they are perfect as Hollywood classics) Even now there are news they want to reboot Pirates of the Caribbean without Captain Jack Sparrow.

The only reason to make a remake are if the original were not good.

In the case of anime the only one i probably would look for is Studio Deen's Fate/stay night and only because it was not a good adaptation and would be prefect if they use Réalta Nua true ending.

But as a rule, money for remakes are better used to animate new material, new stories, because unlike what seems to happen in Hollywood, there is no shortage of good stories to adapt as anime.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Damn that Dagashi Kashi vote.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:28 pm Reply with quote
If there is ever one series in '99 I'd love to see remade its Legend of Black Heaven.

That's a series that really deserves a second chance if given a proper budget.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Anime to Remake ?

No, please no. Remakes are one of the reasons movies nowadays are mostly crap (the others are, sequels, prequels, reboots and PC).
If something are great, there are no reason to remake them (True Grit, The Magnificent Seven, Ghostbusters, Ben-Hur, The Mummy for example didn't need any remake, they are perfect as Hollywood classics) Even now there are news they want to reboot Pirates of the Caribbean without Captain Jack Sparrow.

The only reason to make a remake are if the original were not good.

In the case of anime the only one i probably would look for is Studio Deen's Fate/stay night and only because it was not a good adaptation and would be prefect if they use Réalta Nua true ending.

But as a rule, money for remakes are better used to animate new material, new stories, because unlike what seems to happen in Hollywood, there is no shortage of good stories to adapt as anime.

But most folks aren't going to/aren't able to go dig up some 20+ year old series or movie with dated graphics and animation. While there is no doubt that a big part of remakes is producers, etc. making money grabs at nostalgia, they are also a way to introduce new folks to a series that may be loved enough to want attention, but not be an enduring juggernaut classic like a Dragonball or Sailormoon (both of which have also had their own remakes/remasters), or has just kept going that long, like a One Piece or Detective Conan. You mention Ben-Hur and Magnificent Seven, but how many people today even knew about those movies if not for the buzz and attention garnered by the remakes?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Quote:
Survey is over.

That's what I wondered? Article wasn't there when I checked earlier today. Went away for a couple of hours, came back, and saw this posted. And a link that says Survey is over... Confused
meruru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Remake Infinite Ryvius? We kept hoping it'd get good, as Lord of the Flies in space sounds quite compelling, but the end result was a snooze fest. We found ourselves at like the third to last episode, and it had yet to "get good", so we didn't even bother watching the last two episodes.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
The Magnificent Seven.. didn't need any remake, they are perfect as Hollywood classics.

The Magnificent Seven itself is a remake, of Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai. If your advice was taken literally we would never have had one of your perfect Hollywood classics.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:
Quote:
Survey is over.

That's what I wondered? Article wasn't there when I checked earlier today. Went away for a couple of hours, came back, and saw this posted. And a link that says Survey is over... Confused

Same here. Did someone open the survey then close it after 10 minutes? I noticed the times for the surveys fluctuates, because it didn`t close early like this in the past few months. Man, and I`ve always enjoyed partaking in these surveys. Sad Hopefully someone can re-open it... Sad
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:19 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:

But most folks aren't going to/aren't able to go dig up some 20+ year old series or movie with dated graphics and animation. While there is no doubt that a big part of remakes is producers, etc. making money grabs at nostalgia, they are also a way to introduce new folks to a series that may be loved enough to want attention, but not be an enduring juggernaut classic like a Dragonball or Sailormoon (both of which have also had their own remakes/remasters), or has just kept going that long, like a One Piece or Detective Conan. You mention Ben-Hur and Magnificent Seven, but how many people today even knew about those movies if not for the buzz and attention garnered by the remakes?

I understand that, but the problem the most remakes are flops. There are things that only work in the time they are made, you can call them products of their time.

Nowadays there are almost no actors that can compare with John Wayne, Charlton Heston, Kirk Douglas, Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Marilyn Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor, Olivia de Havilland, Judy Garland.
Those are bigger than life movie stars, not the expendable celebrities that people forget after a few movies.
Trying to use today actors just will make them pale in comparisons with those old days stars.
The money will be better spend on new stories.

Is extremely difficult to modernize/adapt a classic without loosing what make it a sucess at that time.

The same happen with anime. As you know, there are plots, jokes, situations that worked in the past, but that don't work in the present and worse, can make some sub-sectors of western anime fandom uncomfortable with some of the things that were in those anime.

But, as you said, there are some anime that are not well know that can have a new opportunity with a remake but still, with so many new stories to adapt, is better tho focus on this new stories.

John Thacker wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:
The Magnificent Seven.. didn't need any remake, they are perfect as Hollywood classics.

The Magnificent Seven itself is a remake, of Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai. If your advice was taken literally we would never have had one of your perfect Hollywood classics.
Yes, know. I have both in my collection. But is just too different from the Japanese original that is almost a different movie (were takes place, what era takes place, genre (one is a samurai movie, the other a western, language,etc) is more a adaptation of Akira Kurosawa, Shinobu Hashimoto and Hideo Oguni original story, adapted to the old west, than a direct remake of the samurai movie, what doesn't happen with the recent The Magnificent Seven that is a direct remake of The Magnificent Seven
It is one of the very few Hollywood adaptations of Japanese media that are not a complete crap.

BTW there are also a space opera adaptation of the Seven Smaurai story "Battle Beyond the Stars".

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5