• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Land of the Lustrous

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
God, Land of the Lustrous pretty much set the standard for me of what 3DCG anime TV series should be doing. Heck, this show is dang good that even one of the animators of Into the Spider-verse movie referenced it.

I still hope for a season 2; I heard the story gets especially wild that might make Yoko Taro blush. Anime smallmouth
Mhora

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I hope for a second season as well. It is my favorite this decade!
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:41 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
God, Land of the Lustrous pretty much set the standard for me of what 3DCG anime TV series should be doing. Heck, this show is dang good that even one of the animators of Into the Spider-verse movie referenced it.

I still hope for a season 2; I heard the story gets especially wild that might make Yoko Taro blush. Anime smallmouth

As a big 3D animation fan, all of your post makes me giddy with excitement! Also that "cel animation" trick was really neat!
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Tomoyo Kurosawa's acting as Phos is wonderful, even when she doesn't have any lines --- I imagine the script just had instructions like "Phos reacts --- Kurosawa-san does her thing".
nx6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:24 pm Reply with quote
“androgynous rock people fight silent moon ghosts”

I know they're supposed to be androgynous, but I'm still seeing this show as kinda a harem the way they fawn over the monk guy.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:11 pm Reply with quote
nx6 wrote:
“androgynous rock people fight silent moon ghosts”

I know they're supposed to be androgynous, but I'm still seeing this show as kinda a harem the way they fawn over the monk guy.

He's a father figure to them. They have no sex so they litteraly can't feel "sexual love" to someone so its litteraly impossible to be a harem.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:48 pm Reply with quote
The review itself may be free of rock puns, but whoever wrote the main page column-blurb couldn't resist starting it with "Paul unearths this gem of a fantasy series." Ouch.

nx6 wrote:

Towards the end, spoiler[Phos becomes suspicious of Sensei and his apparent relationship with the Lunarians, and Cinnabar mentions that many/most of the other gems have similar feelings (the latter part may only be in the manga, I don't remember).] So it's not as if this is ignored or a total accident; most of the gems could be seen as either/no gender, but Sensei is extremely male-coded. There's some sort of commentary going on there with how he's just arbitrarily the most powerful one by a large margin, while also pretty shady with unclear motives and backstory. Also, unless they're a rare exception to the "name ending in ko" rule, the manga's author is a woman.

Interestingly, most of the time male viewers seem to interpret the non-Sensei gems as female and vice-versa, so it seems like they're successfully ambiguous.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:34 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
The review itself may be free of rock puns, but whoever wrote the main page column-blurb couldn't resist starting it with "Paul unearths this gem of a fantasy series." Ouch.

If making painful puns is wrong, I don't wanna be right~
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:42 pm Reply with quote
JacobC's puns really grind my gears, but this show is such a diamond in the rough that I can't deny its sheen.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:08 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

That is awesome, thanks for sharing!

Land of the Lustrous is a fantastic show and really is head and shoulders above other CG anime (although, non-human characters work better in CG than human ones do, IMHO).

Does anyone know which chapter of the manga continues the story? I'd love a season 2, but it might take a while!
Levonr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:14 am Reply with quote
Just started Land of the Lustrous, loving it.

Might seem odd but I keep thinking Shadow Raiders(1998) when watching Laughing
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:33 am Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
kotomikun wrote:

If making painful puns is wrong, I don't wanna be right~

Isn't making puns, and other word play in headlines part of Journalism 101? I don't think I've ever seen a news outlet that didn't do this. Laughing
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Land of the Lustrous was one of the best anime of 2017 and possibly the best CGI anime. I wish more CGI anime looked this good. I still hope for a second season one day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1