• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: AOKANA: Four Rhythm Across the Blue Blu-ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:29 am Reply with quote
I'll be honest, I was pretty surprised when I discovered that this series was based on an adult game. While watching it, I didn't get the impression it was anything other than a sports anime, which was fine by me. I did research it a bit since the encyclopedia entry had Rika as a main character despite having a pretty small role, and I got the impression that there were story elements that might have been in later parts of a manga that weren't adapted, so I wouldn't have guessed it's origins based on what I watched. Overall, though, I think that worked out for the best.

Rebecca is probably right about why the physical release was as bare-bones as it is. I think this is the first time I saw Funimation release a combo-pack that was just BD + digital, thought they've done that more since then. Heck, it didn't even have a slip cover, which tends to be what happens with rereleases that have budget price points. When it popped up on Funimation's app, I didn't even know what it was. Overall, I get the impression that nobody expected great things from it.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:54 am; edited 2 times in total
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:44 am Reply with quote
I remember somewhat liking it during its airing, Asuka being a big part of it. This felt like a regular sports anime - not a very impressive one, sure, but an okay one. I still like "COACHI" and no one will take that away from me.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:47 am Reply with quote
I think the most surprising thing for me in this show was that Cristina Vee was in it. I think aside from the second FT movie this is the only thing she's done for Funi that wasn't outsourced to BZ like Re:Zero and Bungo Stray Dogs.
lycopene

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:05 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
I think the most surprising thing for me in this show was that Cristina Vee was in it. I think aside from the second FT movie this is the only thing she's done for Funi that wasn't outsourced to BZ like Re:Zero and Bungo Stray Dogs.

she's been in one piece, strike witches movie, Garo, radiant, wanna be the strongest, and hyperdimension neptunia
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:31 am Reply with quote
lycopene wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

she's been in one piece, strike witches movie, Garo, radiant, wanna be the strongest, and hyperdimension neptunia

Probably haven't caught up to OP where she shows up.

Don't watch Radiant.

Who was she in Sekatsuyo?

Neputunia was more of a joint instead of soley Funi since it had a mix of Texas and LA actresses so I don't really count that.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:33 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Who was she in Sekatsuyo?

I think she was Moe
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:10 am Reply with quote
@Greed1914 Well, there is a double impression. On the one hand, this is a good all-female anime from the future director of the Revue Starlight, on the other hand, many fans of the original vn were disappointed, as the adaptation turned the potential harem into girl's sport anime, and removed the romance with MC. However, if they turned the story into a yuri bait like other "lost male MC" adaptations, it is possible that this would cause more fierce disputes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1