• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight - revisions

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:15 am Reply with quote
are they on CGI? or i need a new glasses? Well, either way, since it has garo taniguchi banner on it, might be actually worth watching.
jroa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:35 am Reply with quote
The show is fine. The series won't set any worlds on fire, but I don't think every anime needs to. The script is pretty good in terms of establishing the premise, developing certain characters and foreshadowing the overall mystery.

I'd also argue the main character does get challenged in his assumptions and delusions, even if they are partially understandable, yet he does start as an annoying brat on purpose. That's part of the point, but one which not everyone will appreciate.

I suppose the 3D (and a couple of the enemy designs) will be the main factor working against it on this website though, which means there shall be no productive discussion around here.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Reviews from people in Japan (Japanese but also westerners in Japan) have been pretty blah for Revisions. Generally sounds to be pretty below average, ignoring the ugly CG all together
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:15 pm Reply with quote
This character design concept always bothers me. Are the "dog ears" on those two "revisions" just cosplay hair bands or their real ears for listening, and if so why do they also have human ears as well? it makes no sense. If I was the director it would be one or the other, but never both. Rolling Eyes
jroa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Takizawa-Shinzou wrote:
Reviews from people in Japan (Japanese but also westerners in Japan) have been pretty blah for Revisions. Generally sounds to be pretty below average, ignoring the ugly CG all together

Depends on what you want to look for in an anime series. I could post a bunch of Japanese impressions from people who have seen the entire show and some comments from foreigners who liked it, enough to say it is decent, but it's neither the hottest hipster sensation nor the most populist otaku fantasy.

Honestly, I get the feeling the most vocal voices in the online anime community constantly make a bunch of conflicting demands that are especially hard on intermediate-tier productions and especially ruthless when it comes to judging 3DCG usage. That crushes my spirit, because it leads discussions down the road into no-win outcomes and prevents any real engagement in debate. Either you go with the flow, or you should shut up.

Originality is constantly demanded, but the most well-received or best-selling TV shows are doing nothing new when you dissect their components. Character Type A is "fresh and novel" even if it's used in a dozen current shows, but Character Type B is "tired and clichéd" even if it is not commonly present today. No consistency seems to exist other than purely visceral reactions.

Evaluating the use of tropes and judging something as "generic" or not seems like running a campaign in gerrymandered U.S. electoral districts. Some shows can have a ton of known tropes and still win public favor, but others will always lose even if they have an equal or lower amount in comparison. Revisions arguably combines a few things in unusual ways, compared to recent mecha anime, but since the constituent elements aren't new in isolation, then that means they are automatically bad.

Execution is what makes the difference, some will say, but if you dare to employ 3DCG, over half the technical elements that would receive praise if they were used in a traditional 2D series no longer matter. Thus the 3D is an instant hard sell, even if it has some positives such as enabling several scenes that would be prohibitively expensive or complex in 2D. But then you see shows with objectively worse 3D quality get praised and then nothing makes sense. All the efforts of the 3D staff are pointless if they don't hit the magic number.

Which means a series like this will be treated very roughly in certain circles even if it is a perfectly functional story. "Below average" would suggest there is something fundamentally wrong. I don't think that is the case. It's simply a show that doesn't happen to be outstandingly good nor outstandingly bad.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I saw the premiere at AX and actually really liked it, much more that Ingress (they were shown back to back). I think the monster design is also pretty dang cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
giomikass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:46 pm Reply with quote
The background art looks really good! I think I'll give this a shot, but the question is who is it licensed by?
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I can imagine that a lot of people would be initially turned off from watching this show, cause of the cgi animation and the main lead being extremely bratty and annoying but if you give it time, it is an actually interesting story. The first in a long while where i really enjoy a mech show, so yeah i would recommend it. i mean it is nothing mind blowing and it has flaws but it is still entertaining.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:59 pm Reply with quote
giomikass wrote:
The background art looks really good! I think I'll give this a shot, but the question is who is it licensed by?
I believe that revisions is a Netflix show. I'm just not sure if it's dropping this season or later on.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
giomikass wrote:
I believe that revisions is a Netflix show. I'm just not sure if it's dropping this season or later on.

Yeah, I remember one of the articles saying this would be a Netflix show as well.

I agree, I quite like the look of this. The background art looks quite striking and the armor and mecha seem to look quite good in the brief glimpses of them toward the end of the last trailer so hopefully the CG for the monsters do too. And the character designs seem fine. Looking forward to it.
Especially like Milo's design a lot but, even though she's listed second, for some reason I imagine she's going to be more of a background supporting character given the story description and her positioning toward the back on the poster.
myfairx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Wait.

I dare to say this 3d cell shading from revisions are far from ugly. This has to be one of most beautifuly rendered cel shading and well blended to the 2d environments.

Although I don't always follow every 3d title anime out there, I'm really into this kind of productions. And judging form the results it seems Japanese animation studio are getting better and better on nailing the art.

I remember watching an anime in cel shading form circa 2000-2002, can't remember the title, but feature school girls MC. People thrash it calling it ugly and lazy. The excessive movement from motion capture doesn't help either. Every character looks wobbling and swaying like zombies. Perhaps so but those were product of brave souls who venture into the unknown future. Look what people achieve 20 years later.

3d cel shading advocates won't stop. It's the future we have to embrace.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1