• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested Over 7-Vehicle Fire at Anime Los Angeles Hotel Lot

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traitorAIZEN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:08 am Reply with quote
Waifu wars is a serious business
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:19 am Reply with quote
yup a go fund me page... its called car insurance.. use it..
7 vehicles trashed because of 1 idiot..

Honestly though, if this happened to me I'd probably go find this guy.. and what's that phrase.. "stomp a mudhole in him.. and walk it dry" or something along those lines.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:17 am Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
yup a go fund me page... its called car insurance.. use it..
7 vehicles trashed because of 1 idiot..

Honestly though, if this happened to me I'd probably go find this guy.. and what's that phrase.. "stomp a mudhole in him.. and walk it dry" or something along those lines.

Yeah I've been trying to wrap my head around the gofundme pages. Unless, there is a need for immediate out of pocket repairs and the insurance is going to reimburse them later, (but then would the person reimburse the people that did the gofundmes?))

Though I guess the cars could have been so old they just get no money from the damage anyway, or if they really just had no insurance at all...which I think isnt legal in some places?
SciasSlash

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:22 am Reply with quote
Minimum insurance wouldn't cover malicious acts or vandalism, only full coverage would.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:37 am Reply with quote
Another stalker at an anime convention, because of course this still happens.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:53 am Reply with quote
SciasSlash wrote:
Minimum insurance wouldn't cover malicious acts or vandalism, only full coverage would.

Not sure about Canada.. but in the USA its called Comprehensive coverage.
If your car is worth anything then you have that coverage.. you probably have a deductible of some sort. If you don't have this and this happens.. then your on the hook.

Still not Go fund me material though.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:55 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Yeah I've been trying to wrap my head around the gofundme pages. Unless, there is a need for immediate out of pocket repairs and the insurance is going to reimburse them later, (but then would the person reimburse the people that did the gofundmes?))

Poor money management skills or just general greed / laziness is usually the case. There would be a lot less of these types of pages if people didn't keep donating to them, though.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:58 am Reply with quote
Everyone critiquing the gofundme clearly doesn't understand how huge of an expense full coverage with gap-insurance costs an individual. She has liability only, and some psychopath torched her car at literally no fault of her own. Which unfortunately means her insurance is going to ultimately shrug their shoulders and tell her she should upgrade to a better package for her next car.

You don't have to spend $10 on her gofundme, but you could practice some compassion and shut up.

Last edited by Animegunclub on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:04 am Reply with quote
Animegunclub wrote:
Everyone critiquing the gofundme clearly doesn't understand how huge of an expense full coverage with gap-insurance costs an individual. She has liability only, and some psychopath torched her car at literally no fault of her own.

You don't have to spend $10 on her gofundme, but you could practice some compassion and shut up.

Agreed. This woman just went through a pretty traumatic event. Let's not "insurance shame" her or make assumptions about her lifestyle
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:06 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

If you look at the photos, her car's totalled. Insurance will only cover up to the Blue Book value. If she's still making payments, that might be enough to payoff the car but not necessarily make a down payment on a new one. If it's an older vehicle that's already paid off, the insurance might only provide enough for a beater.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Animegunclub wrote:
Everyone critiquing the gofundme clearly doesn't understand how huge of an expense full coverage with gap-insurance costs an individual. She has liability only, and some psychopath torched her car at literally no fault of her own. Which unfortunately means her insurance is going to ultimately shrug their shoulders and tell her she should upgrade to a better package for her next car.

Pretty much. I mean, seriously, if you want to get mad at someone, get mad at the selfish scumbag who destroyed seven cars just because he was rejected by a woman he was stalking
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Animegunclub wrote:

Ok I know this is gonna be a hard one.. but reality bites! There is a reason why there is a motto called Sh*t Happens! and that is also the reason that Insurance exists. As for not understanding costs of insurance... I don't want to make an assumptions but I assume your not a child, Adults have responsibilities and in the real world bad things happen. A nut torching your car ranks up there with a hit and run driver, or an uninsured motorist. Honestly if you can't handle that, then I can't help you and the real world will eat you alive.

and @Utsuro no Hako makes a good point. Insurance will only payout what the car is worth. And if its not worth much then you'll be stuck scrambling for a replacement car and may have to pay out more. Having experienced this in the past.. still not a fan of the go fund me route.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Ok I know this is gonna be a hard one.. but reality bites! There is a reason why there is a motto called Sh*t Happens! and that is also the reason that Insurance exists. As for not understanding costs of insurance... I don't want to make an assumptions but I assume your not a child, Adults have responsibilities and in the real world bad things happen. A nut torching your car ranks up there with a hit and run driver, or an uninsured motorist. Honestly if you can't handle that, then I can't help you and the real world will eat you alive.

It's kinda sad you can't understand basic human compassion.

It's important to practice caution and self preservation, but I'm also not going to be an insufferable tit by lording someone's misfortune against them... especially when it's not their fault.

You can harden your stance on this all you like to sound like an internet badass, but I truly do hope you never have to be in this situation yourself.
meruru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Animegunclub wrote:
Everyone critiquing the gofundme clearly doesn't understand how huge of an expense full coverage with gap-insurance costs an individual. She has liability only, and some psychopath torched her car at literally no fault of her own.

Agreed. This woman just went through a pretty traumatic event. Let's not "insurance shame" her or make assumptions about her lifestyle

Yes, this times a million.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

This is the worst form of cynicism -- to not only assume that the world is an awful place, but that anyone who needs help dealing with that awfulness is in some.way deficient. Life isn't a game that's designed so that you have a chance at success, and only making mistakes will lead to failure. You don't know this woman's financial situation. You don't know what her job is. You don't know what problems she has to deal with. So grow a soul and show some basic human compassion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2