• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sirius the Jaeger

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
This one was abit of a small disappointment for me because I really liked the opening and the first few episodes, but the excitement kinda died down as the story progressed and the plot unfolded. The phrase "it should have been 2-cour" gets thrown around alot in this medium by people who want more of the things they like, but in this case I think it's warranted as the central conflict of the story hogs much of the back end of the 12 episodes and cuts short any chance of having character arcs or character development for anyone but the main character and his main antagonists.

Probably the biggest offense happens with the team that accompanies Yuliy, with maybe the exception of the professor. They have exquisite designs, a bombastic introduction, good chemistry with eachother and unusual backgrounds in anime, but the show declines to do virtually anything with them, mostly relegating them to fighters in whichever action scene the plot drags them to. Dorothea gets 1 scene of exposition with Ryouko that briefly touches on her background, and it's a good scene, but it's just one, and the other 2 members of the squad don't even get that. Even Ryouko, which does get some growth around the midway point of the series, quickly has her arc pushed to the sidelines and is ultimately left unfinished as the main conflict takes over the stage. It's almost criminal how this show under-uses its supporting cast.

By the first few episodes I thought I was signing up for a story of international vampire hunters in the early 20th century, where they would contend with traditionalists vs progressists in Japan and the Great Powers of the world trying to one-up eachother in anticipation of the great conflict to come. By the final stretch I was bored with an uninspired and predictable werewolves vs. vampires pulp action-y plot. It's far from the worst thing P.A. Works has put out and the fight scenes are indeed very well executed, but I just came out of it feeling that alot of potential was wasted.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I had forgotten all about this, I was interested when it was announced, but then since Netflix don't simulcast I didn't see it when it came out, and by the time they put it up i was completely unaware.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I didn't go in expecting much, but it still had its charms and I was entertained for what it was.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed it. Sometimes you just want to watch a fun Werewolves (?) Vs. Vampires action romp! Not emphasized in the review is how much the stylish pre-war setting adds to the show, it was one of my favorite aspects of it.

But I agree that most of the supporting cast was left on the sidelines, particularly Dorothea, who gets about one line of expository dialogue (which doesn't explain much), and the blond kid, who has an intriguing spoiler[Batman-esque] backstory that goes unexplored and frankly left me a bit confused spoiler[was that Yuliy's brother who killed his parents in London? Why were his parents targeted? If it wasn't Yuily's brother,, which Sirius was it?]
Also, I got really annoyed with Ryouko as she kept making super dangerous and naïve choices.

The McGuffin not being explained properly is another de-merit, although that's a very common trope ("It's super powerful!" "What does it do?" "Uh, confers all knowledge?" "How?" "With it's superpowerful power? The writers didn't quite think it through...")

Otherwise, I really liked the show and would recommend it. spoiler[I especially liked Yuily's conflict with his brother, which was more nuanced than "he's evil now." Wish they could've explored the vampire disease more, though.]
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I've been really wanting to watch this, but Netflix won't let me download it to my phone... and I pretty much exclusively watch Netflix on my phone while at work, so I guess I'll have to block off some free time at home someday. I'm a little sad to hear the story isn't that interesting, but I guess I kind of assumed that to be the case. I'm mostly here for Masahiro Ando's action choreography.
zztop

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:00 am Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:
This one was abit of a small disappointment for me because I really liked the opening and the first few episodes, but the excitement kinda died down as the story progressed and the plot unfolded. The phrase "it should have been 2-cour" gets thrown around alot in this medium by people who want more of the things they like, but in this case I think it's warranted as the central conflict of the story hogs much of the back end of the 12 episodes and cuts short any chance of having character arcs or character development for anyone but the main character and his main antagonists.

My impression was that the main story was also more about Yuliy's coming-of-age journey, spoiler[from the angry vampire hunter to the coexistence-seeking, Sirius-safekeeping idealist, even if it meant the whole world against him.]

I've noticed coming-of-age is a recurring theme in most of PA's animations; even Kuromukuro was teen coming-of-age/slice of life disguised as sci-fi adventure.
Winger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:16 pm Reply with quote
The brazilian dub was really crappy. It was an equivalent to what happened with AICO Incarnation in both english and portuguese dubs before, but this time, only with the brazilian portuguese dub one.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:14 am Reply with quote
I was expecting a well animated cliche storm from Sirus the Jaeger for the beginning and got mostly that. Okay, the touching relationship between Yuliy and Mikhail was a very nice and unexpected surprise but otherwise it really is nothing to write home about. And it honestly did need to be longer as OrdepNM articulates.

Also it's vampires probably win the award for the most underwhelming in anime ever. Maybe Vampire Hunter D, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Hellsing, Monogatari, Seraph of the End and the like spoiled us with their super vampires that don't always play by the traditional rules and are much harder to put down but the Sirus ones all died far too easily and quickly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1