• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested for Selling Modified Love Live! Character Figure

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:44 pm Reply with quote
You aren't allowed to mod figures and sell them????
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:57 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

One of Japan's more absurd laws they have on merchandising, but considering the vicinity to China, which is undeniably bootleg capitol of the world, I can see why they would have laws on toys and merchandise. Still, this is absurd.

Not only are you not allowed to modify figures and sell them, but you are also not allowed to create toys and sell them as fan made fan work in Japan. Guess the anime industry in Japan is very hardcore about their merchandising profit margins....
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I've never been so grateful for the first sale doctrine. What the **** Japan.
Remington Steele

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow...

Wouldn't this be the same as buying a car, modifying it and then reselling it afterwards? I don't see the problem.

If it is a problem and these guys are selling more than the actual figurines sell in numbers, why not hire this guy and pay him a commission and it is win-win for everyone?
steelmirror

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah what? Did this guy steal the figures, and then modify them, or...?

If its illegal to modify figurines in Japan, that's just bizarre.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh this is similar to this article here: animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-05-30/man-arrested-over-modified-risque-one-piece-figures

So it is just illegal in the sense it goes against the original creator's ideas. I think they should be looking for real criminals...
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:54 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

You're free to try to sell some homemade Mickey Mouse figures and see how much Disney likes it Laughing

grooven wrote:
I think they should be looking for real criminals...

Can't go after that which does not exist.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:14 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
grooven wrote:
I think they should be looking for real criminals...

Can't go after that which does not exist.
I don't know, something tells me they could find something productive to do if they really wanted to do something more positive than run down a guy making skeevy figures...
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:40 am Reply with quote
Soooo Cast off's are illegal now? is GK a grey area now?
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:29 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
Soooo Cast off's are illegal now? is GK a grey area now?

Garage kits have never been "legal" in the first place, they were just often ignored. They fall into the same laws as doujins and are supposed to only be sold at special events like Wonder Festival or even Comiket.

What this guy was doing really stretches any interpretation of the laws. Reselling is a big deal in Japan since space is at a minimum, especially with so many collectors living in tiny apartments. There's a lot of stores, like Mandarake (which anyone can order from), that really only sell used items so that wasn't the problem. And these are just cheap prize figures, he's probably only making 1,000-1,500 JPY so he isn't exactly making a big profit off these. The problem is that he's not just modifying them and selling them, but that he's modifying them and selling them in bulk which really changes them from a resell to a mass produced custom which isn't really legal anywhere.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
unready

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:44 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

You're free to try to sell some homemade Mickey Mouse figures and see how much Disney likes it :lol:

There's a difference between manufacturing bootleg merchandise (which is fraud) and reselling legally purchased merchandise. This guy did the second thing.

Unfortunately for him, Japan (like most other countries) has no first sale doctrine. In the US, if you buy something, you can do whatever you want to it (including modifying it and reselling it), because the original seller already got his money. You're not competing for his business. In most countries, reselling something you bought (e.g., a book or a toy) is considered a copyright (o trademark) violation, if the original product was covered by a copyright (or trademark). (The US does, however, have the DMCA. If "modifying" means breaking some kind of -usually lame- copy protection, you can get nailed by that.)

Someone who sells just one item that they had bought for personal use would probably fly under the radar, but this guy made a volume business out of doing it, so it got noticed.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:52 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

You're free to try to sell some homemade Mickey Mouse figures and see how much Disney likes it Laughing

If you first buy the Disney figures, change them and then resell them without infringing on trademark i.e. not calling them authentic Disney or original, but simply your second-hand used, changed figure, then yes,first-sale doctrine allows you to do that.

First-sale is so set in stone that there is an entire industry reselling mass modified branded electronics, such as reselling laptops on eBay and amazon that have been upgraded by the reseller and not the original manufacturer. There's also an absolute ton of refurbished off-lease computers that have been resold in non-original equipment ways, such as with upgraded hard drives (to SSDs) and updates from Win7 to Win10, none of which were even offered for these models at the time. All without the consent of the original equipment maker. And it's perfectly legal. The same applies to automotive and basically any physical good, from artwork to cars to houses. If you bought it, it's yours to resell however you want.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:08 am Reply with quote
unready wrote:
Unfortunately for him, Japan (like most other countries) has no first sale doctrine.

They don't have a law for it, but they don't have a specific law against it that I could find either. There are a lot of used book, game, and collectible stores in Japan, I'm sure they know what they're doing.

configspace wrote:
[First-sale is so set in stone that there is an entire industry reselling mass modified branded electronics, such as reselling laptops on eBay and amazon that have been upgraded by the reseller and not the original manufacturer. There's also an absolute ton of refurbished off-lease computers that have been resold in non-original equipment ways, such as with upgraded hard drives (to SSDs) and updates from Win7 to Win10, none of which were even offered for these models at the time. All without the consent of the original equipment maker. And it's perfectly legal. The same applies to automotive and basically any physical good, from artwork to cars to houses. If you bought it, it's yours to resell however you want.

That's entirely different because laws allow for repairs and upgrades on personal property as well as the production of replacement parts, both original and aftermarket. Doing so doesn't interfere with their resale.

Mass producing customs of an intellectual property is illegal pretty much everywhere.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:15 am Reply with quote
japan really needs a 1st sale doctrine in their law books.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
japan really needs a 1st sale doctrine in their law books.

It had nothing to do with first sale, it was a mass produced custom, those aren't legal pretty much anywhere.

Emerje
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2