• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Lineup Drops Down an Hour on February 16

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:12 am Reply with quote
I don't think people were going to stay up super late for Pop team and Gundam reruns tbh
#swagford95

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:01 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
I don't think people were going to stay up super late for Pop team and Gundam reruns tbh
I liked gundam but toonami needed to stop with the reruns. The heads at toonami were always in favor of a shorter block that was all premieres instead of what they've been doing with all the repeats.
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:34 am Reply with quote
ohh guess anime on free TV would be dead afterall. Missed the good ol days.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:20 am Reply with quote
#swagford95 wrote:
theNightster wrote:
I liked gundam but toonami needed to stop with the reruns. The heads at toonami were always in favor of a shorter block that was all premieres instead of what they've been doing with all the repeats.

They only show reruns like once these days for shorter series. Before Toonami alone showed Cowboy Bebop like 10-15 times maybe more not including all of its showings as being on Adult Swim Action plus many times for Ghost In The Shell and to some extent Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Showing a series twice is no big deal in comparison. Plus great if you missed an episode during its original run but still want to watch it on Toonami.

But I feel like why add Gundam again if just going to rerun a very small amount of episodes of Season 2. Could have just closed with Pop Team Epic. Attack On Titan is staying but does have a lot less to show than Gundam.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:56 am Reply with quote
On the one hand, it's not exactly good news to see the block reduced, especially since it was shortened very recently, in addition to starting later. On the other hand, like others said, it's dropping reruns. Personally, I was always asleep before that last hour.

With the shortened lineup, it looks like we'll have to wait for Mob 2. I thought there was a chance it would come in after SAO did its one-hour premiere, but now it'll have to wait for something to finish its run. Although, that isn't a big issue for me since it was announced that it was going to be streaming on CR and Funi.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:27 am Reply with quote
Did Mob Psycho even finish its run though?

Well this gives me a good opportunity to watch the new Sword Art Online season that I've been procrastinating over watching the past few weeks. I really hope its better than the other two seasons not holding my breath on that one though.

Still ticked off about how they moved Jojo so late that was really the only show on Toonami that is really worth watching, but since I've been working weekends a lot lately and have to get up at the crack of dawn I just can't stay up until 2 and be at work wide awake in a couple hours. -__- I mean I seen it Diamond is Unbreakable multiple times on Crunchyroll since its my favorite part, but I really want to watch the dubbed version since its uncensored. Such a shame I hope Viz releases the first half on Bluray soon.
Gohanangered

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I haven't bothered with this block since they droped one piece from the line up. Could care less about it at this point.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Gohanangered wrote:
I haven't bothered with this block since they droped one piece from the line up. Could care less about it at this point.

I don't blame them for dropping One Piece really.

The low ratings due to the show being borderline unwatchable combined with the license price being increased made the show more hassle than its worth.

A hard a choice but they did the best they could.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Ever since I switched to DirecTV, the time Toonami starts became irrelevant because being in Pacific Time I get to watch Toonami 3 hours ahead of my time zone. So 11 PM is 8 PM for me. Service sucks badly, but the payoff is worth it. So Toonami ending at 1 AM for me is like i’m still wide awake.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that is... Horrible. So now we have an entire schedule of long-running series. Don't they get that this kind of stuff is what drove people away from the original lineup in the first place? It would suck to see things fall apart again after all the time put into rebuilding the lineup.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:13 am Reply with quote
Do people forget that On Demand is still a thing? Times and show length really don't matter when you can go back and watch all the episodes you missed two months later. If you can binge on Netflix you can binge on Adult Swim On Demand.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Re'Nell Glover

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
Did Mob Psycho even finish its run though?

Only 1 ep left
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Worried about the block, but this change isn't too bad since its reruns. But still. I want Toonami to stay alive.
Mistaken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:09 pm Reply with quote
toonami only has an hour and a half of quality, looking at the list.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:16 am Reply with quote
The headline is slightly misleading as it implies that Pop Team Epic and Mob Pyscho were cancelled. In fact both are continuing until they finish their runs. Mob is being replaced by Sword Art Online 3 in its timeslot, and and PTE's timeslot is going away but not until it airs all its episodes. Only Gundam (which is a rerun anyway) is actually getting yanked from the schedule.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2