• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Original Pretty Cure Duo Look Positively Bridal for 15th Anniversary Figure

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
HonokaNagisa OTP!
Hakase

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Congrats on your happy yuri marriage, Nagisa and Honoka. You two will always be the best and cutest Precure couple ever.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Now if we can get that kind of happy ending at the end of an actual Precure installment.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:07 pm Reply with quote
[expletive] SUPERB you funky little lesbians
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Long before Lulu and Emiru made the scene, I remember how heavily anime fandom used to ship Nagisa and Honoka and I can't help but feel these figures are in a way acknowledging the shippers.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Long before Lulu and Emiru made the scene, I remember how heavily anime fandom used to ship Nagisa and Honoka and I can't help but feel these figures are in a way acknowledging the shippers.

They were even one of the most prominent examples of "female best friends, who ship by fans", not to mention how much it influenced the style of promotion of subsequent franchise's generations. What is even more ironic, considering that, unlike many subsequent PreCure, girls really had male love interests and Nagisa even openly wanted relationships with males. In any case, even if the authors did not set themselves the goal of another baiting, it is easy to predict the reaction to these figures, lol.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:22 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I mean, sure you could think that, but think of it another way. I think it's more of acknowledging that it's actually the 15th anniversary, so any kids who watched Futari wa back in the day are now older and possibly married. It could be celebrating the fans who supported them and grew up alongside them.
Remember that Precure actually came close to being canned, so it being the 15th and it still being an annual series is quite a milestone. And then there was the fact that the main protagonists were still Honoka and Nagisa, so it doesn't make sense for any of the male characters to appear in the figurine. Kiriya was really the only one who had any lasting presence on the two and even he would look out of place as part of the figure.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:26 am Reply with quote
@871008 Do you mean that wedding dresses should represent not some ships, but maturing of girls and original fandom? Well, the official site uses only the words "memorable", without mentioning any context at all.
ericarreza

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:37 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Now if we can get that kind of happy ending at the end of an actual Precure installment.

And indeed that Precure is a 100% yuri anime!

https://soranews24.com/2017/12/02/fans-wonder-if-childrens-show-pretty-cures-next-season-will-go-full-lesbian/

I wonder if those 7 year old kids around 15 years ago & watched this anime for a long time & finally found out that both Honoka and Nagisa are really lesbian couples. And it is also the same thing to a Disney/Pixar film, Frozen that the 2 female protagonists namely Anna & Elsa are both lesbians.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:35 am Reply with quote
ericarreza wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

https://soranews24.com/2017/12/02/fans-wonder-if-childrens-show-pretty-cures-next-season-will-go-full-lesbian/

I wonder if those 7 year old kids around 15 years ago & watched this anime for a long time & finally found out that both Honoka and Nagisa are really lesbian couples. And it is also the same thing to a Disney/Pixar film, Frozen that the 2 female protagonists namely Anna & Elsa are both lesbians.

I will keep silent about the use of figures and speculative article about completely different girls in another season as evidence that Nagisa and Honoka are lesbians (by the way, ChokoMac was officially named the first yur couple in the franchise), but Frozen? Seriously? Anna and Elsa are real sisters and Frozen in general about that romantic relationships/marriage are not the most important in the girl's life, and that sister bonds are also important and strong. Not to mention that Anna is in a canonical relationship with a guy.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:03 am Reply with quote
Now I want to see Mana marrying her harem.
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:05 pm Reply with quote
ericarreza wrote:

Is this post a joke? I can't tell. This is a statue for otaku.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:59 pm Reply with quote
#892037 wrote:
Is this post a joke? I can't tell. This is a statue for otaku.

Nah, if it was a statue for otaku it would be four times the price. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:51 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
@871008 Do you mean that wedding dresses should represent not some ships, but maturing of girls and original fandom? Well, the official site uses only the words "memorable", without mentioning any context at all.

Nah, I meant that it could be that. Like you said, there's no context so it's open to interpretation. I prefer that latter interpretation though, since the now older Japanese fans were genuinely excited to see the cameo. I find it a tad bit more touching and wholesome than just shipping if it were to celebrate the fans' maturation.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:11 am Reply with quote
#871008 wrote:
#HayamiLover wrote:

Nah, I meant that it could be that. Like you said, there's no context so it's open to interpretation. I prefer that latter interpretation though, since the now older Japanese fans were genuinely excited to see the cameo. I find it a tad bit more touching and wholesome than just shipping if it were to celebrate the fans' maturation.

Well, as far as I know, they recently became the main heroes of the new PreCure film, so it is possible that this could also be a celebration of their more hardened bonds as Pretty Cure. Or it just a fanservice figures in the brides style, lol. In any case, it seems that Japanese fans caught the possible ambiguity and in the comments someone even wished them "mutual happiness forever".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1