• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Drops Smartphone Puzzle Game Ends Service on March 28

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Man, this is really heartbreaking and sad, although, I kinda stopped playing the game (and then removed it) after the Beryl arc and the later updates got harder.

At least hoping people will archive its contents across the net to remember how it was, at least two other mobages I play still have their services up gladly.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I play this game almost daily, so I'm sad to see it go. The whole SM story was a lot cuter with chibi villains.

Gonna miss grinding through those levels with hakama-wearing Haruka.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I hope Bandai Namco will reconsider shutting this game down as there's still a lot of fans of the game and I always loved the cute graphics and that you could unlock scenes from the anime in the game. It's also disappointing when Sailor Moon Drops has been the only high profile Sailor Moon game we've gotten during the whole anniversary revival and now we won't even get to play it anymore. There was a game that was made for the Fan Club but it never really took off with the fandom like Sailor Moon Drops did and I don't think it was as good of a game. This is all the more reason we need Bandai to make a modern day physical console Sailor Moon video game. I don't know why they won't when Sailor Moon is still a popular show with a lot of fans around the world who have been wanting a new console game for a long time. They could easily make like a new modern 3D fighter game or an RPG like Another Story.
fid jnr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I hope Bandai Namco will reconsider shutting this game down as there's still a lot of fans of the game and I always loved the cute graphics and that you could unlock scenes from the anime in the game. It's also disappointing when Sailor Moon Drops has been the only high profile Sailor Moon game we've gotten during the whole anniversary revival and now we won't even get to play it anymore. There was a game that was made for the Fan Club but it never really took off with the fandom like Sailor Moon Drops did and I don't think it was as good of a game. This is all the more reason we need Bandai to make a modern day physical console Sailor Moon video game. I don't know why they won't when Sailor Moon is still a popular show with a lot of fans around the world who have been wanting a new console game for a long time. They could easily make like a new modern 3D fighter game or an RPG like Another Story.

there is an petition on change.org https://www.change.org/p/bandai-namco-save-sailor-moon-drops
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:56 pm Reply with quote
That's a shame. I really liked this game, although it was just plain unfair with some of its levels. I could play a level ten, fifteen times and it'd feel like I couldn't beat it without buying power-ups.

Sure would be nice if it could stay up.

Hey, maybe Sailor Moon fans should do like in the 90s and buy Pop Tarts again!
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Man this sucks I'm seriously addicted to the game (No really I even play it before going to sleep at night). Hell I'm even one of the best players in my list of me and my friends, I have the most stars and I'm third on the list (I'm Emma in the game incase any of my friends are here). Maybe the petition will work or their switch it offline so that people who play it can still play it.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I really wish this would've been a console game no one can just pull the plug on. A real shame.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:19 am Reply with quote
Shame the service is closing down, but it must not have been doing well enough to justify the expense. Never got around to playing it, so guess I better start while I still have the chance.

Hopefully we'll get another Sailor Moon game. There is that game that only members of the official Japanese Sailor Moon fanclub can play. Maybe they can try releasing it publicly?
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:29 am Reply with quote
3 years is pretty good for a Smartphone game. Some only last 1-2 years. But still quite the shame and I also agree with that we need like a Sailor Moon PS4/Switch game.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:39 am Reply with quote
The sad thing about this is that those of us who still play it should have known something was up after last month's shenanigans.

-Their usual story map updates had increased from 15 to 30 stages each starting from Sailor Stars stage 151 onwards.
-They released Dark Kingdom: Another Story, a 120-stage map which covers the Silver Millennium backstory, all at once before the last 30 stages of Stars.
-They usually release Holiday events every year, some a year after Japan and some at the same time, and yet we got nothing in December so we missed out on events for Santa Mercury/Mars (2017), Santa Jupiter/Venus (2017) and Santa Pluto (2018).
-The Sailor Cosmos event came with a special wallpaper that's exclusive to the Japanese version meant to celebrate the game's 3rd year anniversary back in September so we here didn't get that wallpaper at all during that event.

Then there are the other odd moves like never adding Crown Game Center to the English release and replacing Moonlight Densetsu for the 2nd Anniversary Kanzenban Moon event (Japan got this while we here didn't) so it has pretty much been a mess.

Regardless, it sucks to see it go. I have been playing since the English version's April launch and while it did frustrate me a lot of times (especially when I ran out of hearts), it was still fun and took a while and getting a few event-exclusive characters (especially those with the paint gem attacks like Santa Chibi Moon, Santa Saturn and Uranus/Neptune) to really get the hang of things but it has been worth it. At this moment I'm two stages away from completing Dark Kingdom: Another Story and with the Super Sailor Saturn event live now, it'll probably take a few days before I finish that map so I'll keep playing until the end and probably download each wallpaper to my phone (there's an option to do that and I suggest those who want to keep the pieces they fully unlocked to do the same).

MoonPhase1 wrote:
3 years is pretty good for a Smartphone game. Some only last 1-2 years. But still quite the shame and I also agree with that we need like a Sailor Moon PS4/Switch game.

Especially with the amount of attention the S SNES fighting game has gotten in recent years in fighting game tournaments, it would be nice to see something similar to that from a competent developer (there are reasons that particular game is more popular over the later fighting games) or a RPG similar to the SNES Another Story game or a Musou-style beat em up with the monsters of the week as the minor villains for each stage. Laughing
SakuraShimizu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:37 am Reply with quote
This sucks but I’m not surprised. Bamco usually closes down a game after two years. Even if it’s doing well. They shut down service for Photokatsu and Dream Festival at nearly the same time. The Idolm@ster games are the only ones that seem to stick around the longest. But I won’t complain about that since I’m an advide Deresute player. But because they do this so often, it makes me not want to ever try the new Tales of mobile game. I kind of look at it and go, what’s the point if it’s just going to shut down in a year or two?. Sad
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:13 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the fluffiness of this game. I wish they would make a console version and port it to the Switch or something, I think it would do really well there. They could just remove all the micro-transaction stuff and sell it for like $30 or something.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:28 pm Reply with quote
The appeal of Sailor Moon Drops to me was even though it could be too hard in later levels, it was still more easily accessible than a lot of anime gacha mobile games that it was still feasible to play without having to pay to advance to the next level. That and being about Sailor Moon was the biggest reason it's the anime mobile game I played the most of compared to most other "free to play" anime games.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I never played it but am sad to hear this is happening. I just hope we may get a new Sailor Moon game (heck, I'd like one for PC by Steam, in fact).
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:17 pm Reply with quote
SakuraShimizu wrote:
This sucks but I’m not surprised. Bamco usually closes down a game after two years. Even if it’s doing well. They shut down service for Photokatsu and Dream Festival at nearly the same time.(

Not anything I know personally, but what I could tell just by looking at the fujoshi market, Dream Festival was NOT doing well. It's a miracle it went as long as it did. It was basically Aikatsu for older girls.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2