• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fate/Grand Order Tops Fortnite as Twitter's Most Talked About Video Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nico_Astray

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Saw it a few days ago. Half of it is probably fanart by what I regularly see in my feed.
I'm a bit bothered by the "notorious" in the last sentence. 6/10 games in the top 10 live off micro transactions, so there's no need to call this one out.
omoikane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Nico_Astray wrote:

I'm a bit bothered by the "notorious" in the last sentence. 6/10 games in the top 10 live off micro transactions, so there's no need to call this one out.

Agreed. I mean how did Fortnite bring the bacon home...
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Nico_Astray wrote:
I'm a bit bothered by the "notorious" in the last sentence.
I'm not, there's no safety net, account recovery is a crapshoot whether you've paid or not, the grind and gameplay are trash, and you have poor bastards like the guy who stole his parent's money and ended up in debt with the yakuza for Scathach.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:30 pm Reply with quote
And to celebrate this we will get 1 Mapo tofu exchange ticket on NA and JP will get 30SQ 100 Gold apples and a LSSR of choice.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:07 pm Reply with quote
That line seems accurate to me. F/GO has even lower drop rates for 5*s than a lot of other gatcha games (even more so if you're only counting servants and not essence drops), and it does have a reputation thanks to those poor rates.

The main plus is, if you're FTP, it can make it a bit hilarious at least... as somehow the only 5* servants I've managed to pull are listed as chaotic evil. I'm sure shaping out to look heroic, there.

That aside, it amazes me how what a series that started in the niche category of "eroge visual novel" has expanded to such a degree.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Terrible90sDub wrote:

The main plus is, if you're FTP, it can make it a bit hilarious at least... as somehow the only 5* servants I've managed to pull are listed as chaotic evil. I'm sure shaping out to look heroic, there.

That's just luck tbf. I'm f2p aside from the guaranteed banner and i'm at 34SSR's (day 1 JP player). I have friends, who do the same, and only have like 14 to 15 SSR's. Some call me lucky but then i look at how i sometimes go half a year without a single Gold and all i can say is "that's luck ¯\_(ツ)_/¯".
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Nico_Astray wrote:
Saw it a few days ago. Half of it is probably fanart by what I regularly see in my feed.

Are you really trying to imply that there's no difference in the monetization between a game like FGO and a game like Fortnite? Reading people talk about monetization in gacha games makes it seem like they have stockholm syndrome.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:35 am Reply with quote
Ahh yeah Fortnite. My family and I are hooked on it!
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:15 am Reply with quote
Terrible90sDub wrote:
That line seems accurate to me. F/GO has even lower drop rates for 5*s than a lot of other gatcha games (even more so if you're only counting servants and not essence drops), and it does have a reputation thanks to those poor rates.

I think you're being pretty disingenuous here. FGO is on the lower end of the rates, but in FGO all copies of a characters are identical. Many games with higher rates for the rarest characters have random stats meaning that you could pull one of them more easily, but the one you pull could just be crap. Another thing some gacha games do is force you to pull multiple of that character to level them up all the way so while you may have a higher rate, you really need a bunch of them. FGO does boost your characters super move for fusing multiple copies, but this is much less essential than being able to level up a character all the way as seen in some of its competition.

I'm not saying it isn't kind of predatory, but all gacha games are.
Asaaaasd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:42 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
Nico_Astray wrote:

Are you really trying to imply that there's no difference in the monetization between a game like FGO and a game like Fortnite? Reading people talk about monetization in gacha games makes it seem like they have stockholm syndrome.

You're right. Fortnite is worse because is it primarily preys on children, while FGO is skewed toward teen otaku and older.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:28 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

I'm not saying it isn't kind of predatory, but all gacha games are.

Yeah, this I agree with. "Notorious" is a description about reputation, and I was saying that it has developed a reputation thanks to those low rates instead of declaring it objectively the worst. I've even seen people playing other gatcha games defend theirs by comparing it to the rates in F/GO. A large part of that may also be due to popularity, which does make it an easier target than more obscure ones.

I do think the amount of people who are content with a usable version of their favorite characters outweighs those who need the most powerful version, though. In the main other gatcha game I played, you pulled on weapons/abilities instead of the characters themselves, and while whales always exist in these, most people were happy just to have one up-to-date ability for their favorites. F/GO also locks character specific side stories until you have that character, something that works to help encourage those who want to pull their favorites + have all content with them.
ChestPains

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:20 am Reply with quote
It's because of the constant tweet campaigns for quartz, and the massive amount of fanart.

As for the comments mentioning how the gacha in it is supposedly worse than in other games, FGO has 1-2 banners that last a month. Most other gachas have 3-4 banners that last 2-3w, WITH constant powercreep. Even when it's not as bad the powercreep is still there, even in the "beloved for a while" FEH that everyone paraded as being the superior gacha game.

Monster Strike and P&D are absolutely atrocious with its gacha, and their rates are close to FGO, yet nobody cares enough to realize all of them are bad, singling out the one game that has the decency to not spam characters every week or two to suck out more money. Which is exactly why Monster Strike is always at #1.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:12 am Reply with quote
It is not the rates that are the real bad thing in FGO's gacha system. Anyone who plays it knows it is the limited characters and the way FGo makes most of its SSRs limited so you can only pull them on the banner they are featured on and outside of that you can't. Since character might only get on a handful of banners a year at best it causes people to feel like they have to go all in on a banner where other games you at least have the chance of randomly pulling them at any time.

FGO also doesn't have powercreep like many other gacha with higher rates. Its strongest character in terms of stats was released in its first year.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:30 am Reply with quote
I caught wind of some highlights which may have something to do with Fate/Grand Order being widely talked about in 2018.

Once the release date of an episode of the Cosmos in the Lostbelt arc has been announced (the first three out of the arc's seven episodes were released in 2018), new Servants that have been introduced to appear in it were of significant mention in Twitter.

To commemorate the game's third anniversary in late July 2018, there was a(n) SSR-guaranteed summoning campaign sorted out by class in which paid Saint Quartz can only be used for one time. Because the only 3* Servant that can be summoned in the Extra-class gacha is the Avenger Antonio Salieri, players commented in Twitter about it being basically called a guaranteed Salieri pickup summon.

When the Japanese version of the game hit 15 million downloads last November, players could be able to obtain a ticket that they can exchange for a free (non-limited) SR Servant of their own choice. When it was announced, tags (in katakana characters) mentioning Servants that can be obtained through such method like Gawain, Nitocris, Valkyrie, Caster of Okeanos (spoiler[Circe]) and Chiron among others managed to become Twitter trends within Japan. The Foreigner-class Servant that was featured in the event's summoning campaign, Abigail Williams, also made the cut.

Meanwhile, tags relating to F/GO do not usually become significant Twitter trends in the US as much as they do in Japan. However, Merlin became trending by the time of the Solomon Pickup Summon's release in the game's English version in December 2018.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1