• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Girls' Last Tour

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:05 pm Reply with quote
You know, it happens every time Discotek releases a Lupin Part 2 set. I check for release dates, find nothing, and then one shows up when I'm not looking.
Mhora

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I hope we can all go on a new tour with these girls again soon!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
You know, it happens every time Discotek releases a Lupin Part 2 set. I check for release dates, find nothing, and then one shows up when I'm not looking.

Fandom Post is a great resource for being on top of release dates.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Girls Last Tour was my favorite anime of 2017 and I'm glad to see fans still talking about it. At the time that it first aired, it seemed like it wasn't getting as much fandom discussion as other shows that were airing that season, but it seems like more fans are talking about it now after it's ended. I love how it completely surprised you with what expectations you have for this type of show that it can perfectly balance being both philosophically thought provoking and heartwarming at the same time in spite of the grim setting. Chi and Yuu's relationship is so charming to watch and I love how much thought was put into the world building but it still leaves a lot of mysterious atmosphere as to what exactly happened. I find the moe character designs to be very fitting for the kind of sharp contrast in tone the show is aiming for. With the manga finished up, I hope we can still get a continuation at some point, either as a film series or as OVA episodes.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:34 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
With the manga finished up, I hope we can still get a continuation at some point, either as a film series or as OVA episodes.

To me the show ended in a perfect way; more anime content seems unnecessary.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:07 am Reply with quote
^ The show had a good stopping point but it's a bit frustrating that if they waited a few months later they would have been able to adapt the entire manga and we have too many of these incomplete adaptations of manga titles.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:17 am Reply with quote
I thought the reviewer skipped over how effectively Minase Inori and Kubo Yurika brought Chito and Yuuri to life. (Perhaps that's because these reviews always seem more targeted at dub watchers.) These two ladies had to carry the entire show for twelve weeks, but I never got tired of hearing them work off each other. The producers were lucky to have found such a talented pair for these difficult roles.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's poignant without being melodramatic, thoughtful without being preachy, and strangely comforting despite its grim setting.

This is an excellent summary of Girls’ Last Tour. It was one of my favorite shows of 2017, and I’m happy the general reception was good, although definitely more people should watch it.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
At the time that it first aired, it seemed like it wasn't getting as much fandom discussion as other shows that were airing that season, but it seems like more fans are talking about it now after it's ended.

I think this is because it streamed on Amazon. The good shows that premiere there, like Princess Principal, Land of the Lustrous, and this season's Dororo, seem to have passionate fanbases but won't hit the mainstream discussions like the Cruncyroll series do. They'll get discussed a lot in those year-end "Best Of" articles, but they'll be titles most of the readers haven't seen.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
At the time that it first aired, it seemed like it wasn't getting as much fandom discussion as other shows that were airing that season, but it seems like more fans are talking about it now after it's ended.

I think this is because it streamed on Amazon. The good shows that premiere there, like Princess Principal, Land of the Lustrous, and this season's Dororo, seem to have passionate fanbases but won't hit the mainstream discussions like the Cruncyroll series do. They'll get discussed a lot in those year-end "Best Of" articles, but they'll be titles most of the readers haven't seen.

The ratings when it was airing says otherwise.
animenewsnetwork.com/weekly-ranking/2018/fall/.126014
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:47 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I thought the reviewer skipped over how effectively Minase Inori and Kubo Yurika brought Chito and Yuuri to life. (Perhaps that's because these reviews always seem more targeted at dub watchers.) These two ladies had to carry the entire show for twelve weeks, but I never got tired of hearing them work off each other. The producers were lucky to have found such a talented pair for these difficult roles.
I couldn't agree more and even though I got the BD, I watch it in Japanese because I really don't think the dub cast did anywhere near as well. Also found some poor translation choices at critical moments, like Ep2 where Yuu takes the last ration and points out to Chi in Japanese "THIS is war" the dub has it delivered fairly flatly as "I'm taking this". Confused
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:07 am Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Merxamers wrote:

The ratings when it was airing says otherwise.
animenewsnetwork.com/weekly-ranking/2018/fall/.126014

Well, those reader ratings weren't based on the number of votes for each series, but on the scores given. (It's more complicated than just a pure average though.)

Both Girl's Last Tour and Land of The Lustrous were incredibly well liked by most people who watched them, and so they did great in the weekly rankings. But that doesn't mean that the number of people watching them and overall popularity of them were particularly high. I don't have access to any exact streaming numbers, but I've heard rumblings that Sentei was NOT happy with how most of their shows performed on Amazon. There's a reason why they don't stream with them anymore.

So unfortunately, while Land of the Lustrous and Girl's Last Tour were both super popular in my own anime circles and bubbles, I do think they were sadly hurt by being stuck on Amazon, especially since this was back when Amazon had the Anime Strike double paywall.
pwnagemaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:35 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

But that doesn't mean that the number of people watching them and overall popularity of them were particularly high. I don't have access to any exact streaming numbers

Don't know how much it counts for, but on MAL's seasonal charts, Girls' Last Tour is 12th and Land of the Lustrous 8th in terms of number of people with them on their lists for Fall 2017. In terms of scores, they're 6th and 3rd, respectively. https://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2017/fall
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:07 am Reply with quote
Kinda surprised the anime is so well-received. I've not seen it, but am fond of the manga (I think the last Volume is coming out soon?; and it doesn't really seem like something that would animate well. The art is very sketchy, and posses a kind of ethereal quality to it that I simply can't imagine translating well to conventional animation.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:08 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Kinda surprised the anime is so well-received. I've not seen it, but am fond of the manga (I think the last Volume is coming out soon?; and it doesn't really seem like something that would animate well. The art is very sketchy, and posses a kind of ethereal quality to it that I simply can't imagine translating well to conventional animation.

All volumes are out already. There was only 7 iirc.

edit: NVM, there's only 6 and the last one is coming out in 2 weeks.

Last edited by ultimatehaki on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2