• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex Acquires Australian Distributor Madman Media's Anime Division

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:36 am Reply with quote
Oh goody, now they can overcharge for foreign releases as well. So long as they don't get Europe we should be good.
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:49 am Reply with quote
So what exactly does this mean?

Do Anilpex just take all the rights and distribute those anime under their label, or are they still using Madmans?

Does this mean Madman no longer distributes anime at all?

Just want to be sure.
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:51 am Reply with quote
On the surface this doesn't sound like it's gonna end well for anime fans down-under, given Aniplex's US distribution model. Only time will tell I guess. Neutral
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:56 am Reply with quote
I hope Aniplex won't try to acquire Funimation too since they're both owned by Sony.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:15 am Reply with quote
Madman owns over 95% of legal anime in Australia. Let that sink in for a moment.
Ittaku

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:36 am Reply with quote
And yet Madman's service to Australia has been nothing short of exceptional. They do great releases, offer good prices, have an excellent value high quality streaming service... I can't see any good coming out of this for anyone except Madman's pockets. It's gonna be sad to get that terrible Aniplex quality service here instead.
macattack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:38 am Reply with quote
Peter Hunt wrote:

Do Anilpex just take all the rights and distribute those anime under their label, or are they still using Madmans?

Does this mean Madman no longer distributes anime at all?

Just want to be sure.

Aniplex took all of Madman's anime. Madman no longer distributes anime at all.

Madman has control of 95% of the Australian anime market. Aniplex just purchased a monopoly on the entire Australian anime market including control over their competitors' products.

Considering what Aniplex has done to cause US customers' headaches I can only imagine what they're going to do to Australia...
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:52 am Reply with quote
My condolences.
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:01 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
Peter Hunt wrote:

Aniplex took all of Madman's anime. Madman no longer distributes anime at all.

Madman has control of 95% of the Australian anime market. Aniplex just purchased a monopoly on the entire Australian anime market including control over their competitors' products.

Considering what Aniplex has done to cause US customers' headaches I can only imagine what they're going to do to Australia...

Cheers. I was hoping I read it wrong but you've just confirmed my fears.

Sony has been releasing more and more anime over the past few years in Oz, but now they're properly serious, huh? Madman are still flogging upcoming events like their Anime Festival too; wonder if they'll change the name or maybe the switch doesn't officially start until later in the year?

Anyway, time will tell just how screwed we are.
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:04 am Reply with quote
That sucks for Australia, and probably Europe eventually.

Isn't pirating in Australia much more of a pain in the ass than it is in most other countries? So it's like a double kick in the nuts for them.
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:10 am Reply with quote
Well, torrents are easy enough to get, we Australia are famously notorious for it.

But it's the physical media side of it I'm concerned for, since I buy lots of anime; coming up on 900 titles.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:19 am Reply with quote
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
Isn't pirating in Australia much more of a pain in the ass than it is in most other countries? So it's like a double kick in the nuts for them.

Could please explain how? The completely ineffectual whack-a-mole game that has Village Roadshow asking local ISPs to block the Pirate bay, Solar Movies et al, via court orders, people are easily circumventing the blocks by changing their DNS or using a VPN. Secondly, it isn't illegal for Australians to import discs from other countries.

Peter Hunt wrote:
But it's the physical media side of it I'm concerned for, since I buy lots of anime; coming up on 900 titles.

Most recent Madman titles are dupes of, or are in fact imported titles of Funimation discs, so it's moot really. Judging by the fact they mostly import discs and don't author or even press up their own, I think sales must me down for them and they have been cutting costs. Just hoping they manage to get "Sailor Moon Sailor Stars" out.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:55 am Reply with quote
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
That sucks for Australia, and probably Europe eventually.

Yes this is a game changer, up until now no one has thought of Aniplex getting involved in Europe because of it not having the same region coding as Japan, unlike America. Australia on the other hand has the same as Europe.
Tungsten Steve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:21 am Reply with quote
Those singing praise to Madman must not have been around for My HiME and Samurai Seven’s releases back in the day.

Faulty discs that skip, freeze or just didn’t work happened way too often back then. It was particularly galling when you had to wait two months for the next volume of the show you were watching and then the disc didn’t work. No streaming back then so you either fansubbed it or did without... or bought American which is why many of the discs in my collection are Region 1.

This brings up the other issue I have with Madman; they take forever to release things.

It used to be we were a month behind the US release; now it’s closer to three months. Made in Abyss only came out on blu-ray on Madman’s site today and it’s sold out. Payday for me is tomorrow so it’s too bad so sad for me if I want to order it (I already did; last year Region A).

Just get it from a store? Will it be on the shelf? On release day? Not always; I could blame the stores but when multiple JB hifi’s and Sanity stores don’t have that month’s releases on the day you have to wonder if every shop is banding together to not put new releases up in time or is it the supplier didn’t send them out on time.

And some things just never get a release; Berserk 2016/2017 are on animelab but no physical release. Not paying R1 prices for these two so I guess I’ll do without. Not paying animelab for half the content i can get from Crunchroll.

Oh but if you want to replace you 20 year anniversary ghibli films you bought 5 years ago with 25 year anniversary ghibli films Madman’s got you covered. I look forward to 30 year anniversary ghibli films five years from now. Plus every other month theres an inexplicable new Dragon Ball Z release. New shows come and go and Madman keeps stocking the shelves with old titles I already have.

Aniplex taking over Madman will probably suck; Australia and New Zealand are always getting the short end of the stick when it comes to this kind of thing. We might at least get Aniplex titles earlier than we’re currently getting them, but I doubt it.

I’m not going to cry about Madman losing all it’s anime to Aniplex. Keep calm and import.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:29 am Reply with quote
Regarding DVD/BD pricing, I'm willing to wait and see what happens before judging Aniplex.

More concerning to me, is that, even while the number of anime titles being produced in Japan is growing, the amount being released in Australia has been declining. Siren Visual stopped releasing new product a couple of years back and their website went AWOL not long ago. Their titles still appear in JB Hi Fi, but that may just be running out remaining stock. Hanabee, which started in a blaze of enthusiasm, no longer has any entries on their website under the "coming soon" tag. Universal (part of Sony) put their toe in the water but haven't followed up. Madman has scheduled 22 new titles for release in March and April - not much when you consider how much is being made.

When I bought Hanabee's Toradora! back in 2012 the amount of anime available in Australia on DVD was staggering. There were numerous titles released that were unavailable in the UK or the US. Times have changed. My feeling is that ballooning licensing fees and declining sales are making anime less and less a money making proposition for local distributors. Madman have built up a terrific busines and I wonder if Anderson and Weigard are getting out while they're ahead. Aniplex may be wanting to preserve an anime presence in Australia.

It's becoming disheartening that more and more anime titles I want to own are now only available in the US and only available as Bluray. While I have region cracking software on my PC (where I watch anime), I'm finding that an annoying number can't be played. Digital streaming is changing anime beyond recognition.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3