• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Langrisser I & II PS4, Switch Remake Game's 1st Promo Video Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:40 pm Reply with quote
This great news, this was one of the few SJRPG I loved. I think the new mobile game helped revive interest in the west for the series agian. Let's just hope that NISA brings it over
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:34 pm Reply with quote
The mobile game was and is absolute trash, but I am very curious to see how the rerelease of these originals hold up. Although holy hell, it's like in the world of Langrisser it's forbidden for women to wear pants on fear of death or something, and that art style is so 80's I'm surprised the games aren't being released by Atari.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Sethimothy wrote:
The mobile game was and is absolute trash, but I am very curious to see how the rerelease of these originals hold up. Although holy hell, it's like in the world of Langrisser it's forbidden for women to wear pants on fear of death or something, and that art style is so 80's I'm surprised the games aren't being released by Atari.

I think the mobile game is great and is one of the best put out minus the gacha aspect.

The scantily clad women is a Urushihara trademark which was retained out of consistency. Anyone who knows Urushihara knows that he is about fanservice and all the fanservice.

The 80's art style is more early 90's but I don't consider that a bad thing considering that creative badassery was all the rage during that time in Japan and made anime that much more appealing.
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:14 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I think the mobile game is great and is one of the best put out minus the gacha aspect.

How far did you get into it? I found the gacha element to be far more than distracting, but outright menacing in my ability to continue after about a week. Gambling away money and still not doing well in a video game isn't for me.

The comment about the art style was really more a comment for the sake of commenting. I know the style has its fans. It is, for better and worst, distinctly old school anime.
omegafinal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:33 am Reply with quote
Sethimothy wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

How far did you get into it? I found the gacha element to be far more than distracting, but outright menacing in my ability to continue after about a week. Gambling away money and still not doing well in a video game isn't for me.

The comment about the art style was really more a comment for the sake of commenting. I know the style has its fans. It is, for better and worst, distinctly old school anime.

The gatcha might be not as important down the line given one of the current events that is going on now, where you can earn an SSR character. I'll imagine in the long run the gatcha will be used more to randomly strengthen a character's star ranking, if those SSR events continues on and you'll get a majority of them. So far I'm Level 34 and just finished Chapter 17. Given I'm not familiar with the Langrisser series (Nor Warsong, didn't grow up with the Genesis), if there are missing characters from 1-5, I'm sure they'll add them in, but I guess the point is that I do not see them pulling off variants like I see in Fire Emblem Heroes or Memoria Freese. (I know, costumes/skins. But they are cosmetic. Chris's second costume is riot gear?! Okay, that's pretty awesome looking in an out of place way.)

I'm actually surprised on how they faithfully they've adapted the character's original art to a more "modern" style, in a relative sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1