• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sony's Shawn Layden Discusses Sony's Absence From E3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VImistXI

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to see how this works out for them.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:02 pm Reply with quote
This makes it sound like Sony's abandoning the event altogether. If so, E3 is officially dead.
Remington Steele

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Sony trying to control how games are released. Sony year 1 of trying to control the gaming news or E3 where everything is usually prepped for. No game company ever has ever had anything ready this early in the year to be demonstrated.

I honestly don't know why Sony somehow thinks they can suddenly change their demos for February when they have a had a very difficult time over 20 years to have anything remotely ready for June.

Unless Sony is trying to have this smoke and mirror ready for their fiscal year end nonsense to and try and bolster support on their side for everything is ok mentality. Usually by June investors and game buyers tend to know what is up based on the stock market and how well Sony does.

My guess is that this is someway for Sony to end anything that may hurt them financially as June and E3 is when a lot of other information is out, information that Sony can't control.

All February would be to me then is the month Sony can lie through their teeth on games and development.

I suspect this will come back and bite them in the ass.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Remington Steele wrote:
Sony trying to control how games are released. Sony year 1 of trying to control the gaming news or E3 where everything is usually prepped for. No game company ever has ever had anything ready this early in the year to be demonstrated.

I honestly don't know why Sony somehow thinks they can suddenly change their demos for February when they have a had a very difficult time over 20 years to have anything remotely ready for June.

Unless Sony is trying to have this smoke and mirror ready for their fiscal year end nonsense to and try and bolster support on their side for everything is ok mentality. Usually by June investors and game buyers tend to know what is up based on the stock market and how well Sony does.

My guess is that this is someway for Sony to end anything that may hurt them financially as June and E3 is when a lot of other information is out, information that Sony can't control.

All February would be to me then is the month Sony can lie through their teeth on games and development.

I suspect this will come back and bite them in the ass.

What are you talking about?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:56 am Reply with quote
$20 says in 10 years they'll be lamenting how gaming is fragmented and there isn't one big show for everyone to come out and show their wares and how yeah it's cool that everyone can do their own thing, but the one big unifying event would actually mean a lot.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Remington Steele wrote:

What are you talking about?

What the poster said directly relates to something in the ANN article.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Layden also noted that he thinks E3 has less relevance for journalists now that game news on the internet is 24/7.

Layden concluded that he believes E3 needs to be more of a "fan festival" of gaming, more like Comic-Con, in order to stay relevant.

I see people knocking Sony here, but these are two very good points. Why wait for June when you can get the jump and announce things way before hand? That is the 24 hour news cycle. And on the second part, you see them skipping the press and third party only E3, but you don't see them skipping TGS which the public can attend.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:20 am Reply with quote
It's just an excuse because all their studios are now developing for the PS5, so they have nothing to show this year.

Come next year, they'd be all "E3 is where it's gonna be!" again when they have something to show.

It's just an excuse. Don't buy too much into it.

Nintendo hasn't had a conference in E3 in years, and they have their own Nintendo Directs - yet they still show up on the E3 floor.

Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
Quote:
Layden also noted that he thinks E3 has less relevance for journalists now that game news on the internet is 24/7.

Layden concluded that he believes E3 needs to be more of a "fan festival" of gaming, more like Comic-Con, in order to stay relevant.

I see people knocking Sony here, but these are two very good points. Why wait for June when you can get the jump and announce things way before hand? That is the 24 hour news cycle. And on the second part, you see them skipping the press and third party only E3, but you don't see them skipping TGS which the public can attend.

Games gets "leaked" before E3 now anyway. E3 is just to show first-hand, not for news anymore.

And the public can attend E3 now too. In fact, some complain there's too many people now - that was the reason E3 was originally down-sized a decade ago.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I finally have a Playstation 4 but I'm not bothered if Sony doesn't show anything off at E3 or anywhere else as, really, the only first-party Sony franchise I really cared about was Gran Turismo and that series has been ruined for me by always-online DRM and by making single-player career mode, which used to be the main focus of the game, an afterthought.

Okay, perhaps if Sony announced a new Getaway title, I'd be marginally interested, although the main draw of those PS2 games for me was less the game itself and more the fantastic open-world map of London which, while not street-for-street accurate, still had an impressive amount of real world detail.

So far all I've played on PS4 are JRPG's and I don't see that changing all that much anytime soon though I might get Red Dead Redemption 2 eventually.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I finally have a Playstation 4 but I'm not bothered if Sony doesn't show anything off at E3 or anywhere else as, really, the only first-party Sony franchise I really cared about was Gran Turismo and that series has been ruined for me by always-online DRM and by making single-player career mode, which used to be the main focus of the game, an afterthought.

Okay, perhaps if Sony announced a new Getaway title, I'd be marginally interested, although the main draw of those PS2 games for me was less the game itself and more the fantastic open-world map of London which, while not street-for-street accurate, still had an impressive amount of real world detail.

So far all I've played on PS4 are JRPG's and I don't see that changing all that much anytime soon though I might get Red Dead Redemption 2 eventually.

Dude you have so much single player exclusives that are masterpieces, don't waste your new PS4 by not playing them.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:

Dude you have so much single player exclusives that are masterpieces, don't waste your new PS4 by not playing them.

Not that Playstation 4 exclusivity matters to me but two of the four PS4 games I own, Tales of Berseria (the main game I've been playing for the past few months) and Persona 5, are effectively PS4 exclusives, or at least they are in North America since Persona 5 was also a Playstation 3 title in Japan.

All I said is that I'm not really all that interested in first-party Sony titles other than Gran Turismo, the latest installment of which doesn't appeal to me due to the single player mode being de-emphasized compared to earlier Gran Turismo games and due to it being online-only aside from arcade mode. (The problem with online-only games is that eventually the servers will go offline and the game you paid for will be unusable.)

I mainly play JRPGs which are almost exclusively third-party titles on PS4 and which generally aren't a genre that gets a lot of hype at E3 unless they're Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Xiximaro wrote:

Not that Playstation 4 exclusivity matters to me but two of the four PS4 games I own, Tales of Berseria (the main game I've been playing for the past few months) and Persona 5, are effectively PS4 exclusives, or at least they are in North America since Persona 5 was also a Playstation 3 title in Japan.

All I said is that I'm not really all that interested in first-party Sony titles other than Gran Turismo, the latest installment of which doesn't appeal to me due to the single player mode being de-emphasized compared to earlier Gran Turismo games and due to it being online-only aside from arcade mode. (The problem with online-only games is that eventually the servers will go offline and the game you paid for will be unusable.)

I mainly play JRPGs which are almost exclusively third-party titles on PS4 and which generally aren't a genre that gets a lot of hype at E3 unless they're Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts.

I get what you are saying. But getting a PS4 and missing out on so much critically acclaimed titles in my opinion is a waste, you should at least try some of them. I assure you that watching gameplay vids or E3 trailers are not the same until you actually play them.
Open world RPGs are now the most popular genre and there are bunch of them, I know they are not JRPG but still, God of War 4, Nier Automata(pratically Japanese), Horizon Zero Dawn, just to name a few are games scored 9-10 out of 10.
I know from what you told that you like driving games, that I cannot recommend cause I no longer play them, but know there's some much diversity.
There are other games that for only for the story are a must have for who owns a PS4, like Uncharted series, Last of Us, Tomb Raider is good too and they are cheap now.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

What the poster said directly relates to something in the ANN article.

It also makes no sense hence why I asked what were they talking about.

It's soapboxing at best, incoherent rambling at worst.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1