• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Emblem: Three Houses Switch Game's Trailer Reveals Delay to July 26

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:24 pm Reply with quote
So is it safe to say Chinatsu Kurahana did these character designs? I am quite amused there's a school..I mean military academy setting this time around.

Now that you're playing as a teacher, I'm assuming romance options are out of the question, maybe?
Firefly251

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:42 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Now that you're playing as a teacher, I'm assuming romance options are out of the question, maybe?

possibly, however not a 100% thign as the Players age doesnt look much older than the students. (and in time of old student/teacher werent frowned upon as they are now-a-days.)

also day b4 my B-day....joyous occasion!

and hopefully Fire Emblem Heroes gets em in game within a year after.
shabu shabu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:32 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

The last Fire Emblem was poorly received because of the lack of romance. Intelligent Systems would have to be fools to not learn from that.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:40 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Hahahahahahaahahaha ahahah hahaa *begins crying* Sad

This is Fire Emblem, never assume Fire Emblem won't indulge in, er, problematic romances. In this case I hope they won't go that route, though if they introduce some fellow instructors or other characters that AREN'T your students that you can date, I wouldn't mind that.
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I've always found Fire Emblem's setting, story, and battle system to be intriguing. But I may be a minority with this opinion but I've never been fond of dating sim/marriage/baby making mechanics. All you get are cookie-cutter dialogue and endings that have no real impact. I'd rather see a game focus on developing an actual romance/relationship between the characters.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:52 pm Reply with quote
30 seconds into the trailer and its already better than Fates on world building alone. I'm ready for this.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:27 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

But that's the best part. Persona 5 was great because you could date your teacher.. now you can be a teacher and date your students. 10/10 Nintendo.
Florete

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I love FE to death so I am excited, but I feel like I haven't quite seen enough to be as pumped as I was for Fates. Which might be for the better, because Fates really failed with its story.

darkchibi07 wrote:

Doubtful. In the video at ~3:50 you can see the support icon with a heart come up when interacting with Dorothea. It doesn't confirm romance, but I think it's extremely likely.
Random Name

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one hoping for some yuri options? Seriously though I don't really care if they remove the whole romance system all together. I do wonder how much of role the player character is going to have it almost seems like he/she is going to be on the sidelines for a majority of the game just helping the students who are the focal point of the story.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I do like the idea of a military academy and putting a further spin on the the school setting by having the player character be a teacher instead of a student. Furthermore, they're not even nobility, they're just a mercenary. I also wonder how the factions will play into things, like if it'll be with Fates going off into wildly different story campaigns.

Interesting note as well, someone noticed on the copyrights for the game that Koei-Tecmo was on there, so apparently they were involved in development
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Am I the only one hoping for some yuri options? Seriously though I don't really care if they remove the whole romance system all together. I do wonder how much of role the player character is going to have it almost seems like he/she is going to be on the sidelines for a majority of the game just helping the students who are the focal point of the story.

You're definitely not the only one hoping for more same sex options. That said I'm fine with romance being less of a focus, especially for this game where you're a teacher. My hope is the avatar character won't be able to romance any of the students, but will have SOME romance options outside of them. And they don't have to be every single non-student character, just a few. Give the students a few romance options with each other too, but still allow them supports that just end in friendship as well.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting some Harry Potter meets Game of Thrones vibes with this game.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:59 am Reply with quote
I’m a bit disappointed that this has been delayed from its’ initial Spring release date, but I can live with it. Sothis looks interesting to me, so I’m looking forward to seeing more of what she will be like in July.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:09 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

Hahahahahahaahahaha ahahah hahaa *begins crying* Sad

This is Fire Emblem, never assume Fire Emblem won't indulge in, er, problematic romances. In this case I hope they won't go that route, though if they introduce some fellow instructors or other characters that AREN'T your students that you can date, I wouldn't mind that.

I also wouldn't mind if you can play matchmaker between students as part of the bonding interactions, but that honestly seems pretty obvious.

Overall, I'm not against the dating-sim aspect of these games. I think they have the potential to be used for some really impressive storytelling in a "choose your own adventure" style, but it needs to scrap the weird "skinship" mechanics in favor of some more branching story paths.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:14 pm Reply with quote
johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:

Overall, I'm not against the dating-sim aspect of these games. I think they have the potential to be used for some really impressive storytelling in a "choose your own adventure" style, but it needs to scrap the weird "skinship" mechanics in favor of some more branching story paths.

They're not mutually exclusive so you could have both.....not that I could see the skinship mehanic returning anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2