• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Fruits Basket Anime's English Dub Brings Back Jerry Jewell as Kyo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:32 pm Reply with quote
It's definitely going to be interesting seeing how the English cast develops from here. Remaining characters have voice actors that range everywhere from "reprising is a sure thing," to "impossible for different reasons," and everywhere in between. Its going to be a neat mix of old and new, and its honestly been really fun seeing fans get excited about it, myself included.

Fruits Basket was always a really formative story for me when I was younger, and I know for a lot of other people around my age, so I'm glad to see Funimation giving it so much love.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:37 pm Reply with quote
HELL YEAH~

I normally watch my anime subbed during the season, but this will probably be my first time watching an anime as it airs dubbed instead. I mean, it's the original trio of Laura Bailey, Eric Vale (not sure if there was an announcement on him ) and Jerry Jewell! Caitlin Glass and Funimation are my heroes right now!

Give me John Burgmeier and Chris Sabat as Shigure and Ayame and my 13 year old self will cry tears of joy!
Schaef Dogg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Eric Vale was announced yesterday. Didn't see anyone mention it. Though I suppose he was a given, like Jerry.
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1096892001956651009
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:51 pm Reply with quote
It's going to be hard to choose between the reunion English dub cast and that all star Japanese cast so I'll likely wind up watching both the sub and dub of Fruits Basket for twice the goodness.
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:53 am Reply with quote
This is great news! Now about Shigure Wink! Fruits Basket is one of the few I prefer to watch in dub. Regardless, I'll watch both.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:00 am Reply with quote
RenRen94 wrote:

Give me John Burgmeier and Chris Sabat as Shigure and Ayame and my 13 year old self will cry tears of joy!

Both have been Funimation staples for decades. They’ll definitely be back. Very Happy
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:11 am Reply with quote
When it comes to this new dub, I only have one request: Cast somebody else as Momiji! Kimberly Grant was just bad as Momiji in the original dub, so I hope they cast someone else as Momiji. Preferably someone like Luci Christian or Christine Auten. They can actually act and sound like young boys!
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:09 am Reply with quote
Thank you, GOD.
I'm so happyyy. ;w;

Some of you said it was a given but after the recasting of the Japanese cast (and in doing so me losing some of my favorite voice actors in the process), I was so so scared that I wouldn't enjoy this because the voices would be wrong no matter what.

Now at least Yuki, Kyou, and Tohru will sound right. ♡
spoiler[and I'll get to hear kyou tell tohru he loves her just like I always wanted to.;-;]
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:35 am Reply with quote
I mean, I'm not into this particular series, but it just seems weird to me, when the Japanese cast is all new people, to bring back the same people. FUNi did the same thing with FMA: Brotherhood, even though only the main two were the same in Japanese...

I don't know, maybe it's because I'm an opera fan, but I like seeing different actors' interpretations of a role. I like to see multiple actors have their chance at the same characters...
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:36 am Reply with quote
Ah, so they’re going the FMA Brotherhood route by bringing back the old cast. This should be interesting.
Demonskid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:04 am Reply with quote
This news made me so happy when I saw it posted on twitter <3

-puts on old Kyo hat- owo Ready for the new anime now!!! OwO
Shaone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:33 am Reply with quote
This is funny because I asked Jerry at Acen last year about doing this for Fruits Basket and he replied that it'd be terrible because of how much his voice has aged.

Maybe he found the Fountain of Youth?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:01 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
When it comes to this new dub, I only have one request: Cast somebody else as Momiji! Kimberly Grant was just bad as Momiji in the original dub, so I hope they cast someone else as Momiji. Preferably someone like Luci Christian or Christine Auten. They can actually act and sound like young boys!

Kimberly Grant hasn’t worked in over 15 years, so I wouldn’t worry. I doubt they’ll get Parisa Fahkri (Arisa) or Daphne Gere (Saki) back either.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm positively giddy knowing the original three VAs for Tohru, Yuki, and Kyo will return for the dub. I'm also excited for any newcomers FUNi brings in for the other Sohmas.

Someone on Twitter was hoping for Luci Christian for Momiji and I would definitely be on board with that. Maxey Whitehead has also done some excellent work as younger male characters. I'm curious too to see who they'll cast as Rin and Kureno.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy a lot of the old cast is returning! But I am most excited to hear how they cast the characters who were not in the first anime adaptation. I'm also curious if they'll recast Akito spoiler[since the manga reveals she is really a girl] and the anime never got that far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2