• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Alliance Alive HD Remastered Game's Promo Video Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how I feel about this. The Alliance Alive was one of those games where the character designs looked the way they did because the game was working within a visual style that was strongly associated with 3DS jrpgs, and it's weird to see the game moved to a different console without any major aesthetic changes.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:57 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I don't know how I feel about this. The Alliance Alive was one of those games where the character designs looked the way they did because the game was working within a visual style that was strongly associated with 3DS jrpgs, and it's weird to see the game moved to a different console without any major aesthetic changes.

Actually, in the case of Legend of Legacy and this game, it had more to do with the team's previous works, which were on the SaGa series that featured relatively deformed character design models. SaGa games can vary from deformed to some-what proportioned with some levels of deformation to the designs. So the aesthetic likely won't change too much if the team does another game going forward. Maybe a bit more poportioned like SaGa Frontier II or Romancing SaGa remake style, but... yeah.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. To me, it just felt like "oh, this is how character models look in DS/3DS SquareEnix jrpgs, they must be copying them", but it's good to know that may not entirely be the case here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1