• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Wake Up, Girls! Director Yamakan Explains Financial Troubles Behind Anime's Production

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:13 pm Reply with quote
For those who love drama, we present you the catty ongoing saga of WAKE UP! GIRLS production.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least 3 of the 7 seiyuu have gone on to have successful careers post-WUG.

I do wish WUG ended up better than it did, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy most of the material, even with the obvious handicapped budget and staffing issues.
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:01 pm Reply with quote
If anyone is interested in another translation (less of a paraphrase than this article) you can find it here.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He describes Itagaki as a "psychopath" who "throws tantrums if everything does not go his way."

Might've explained why Ulyses looked like shit and poorly directed.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
The rant against Millepensee seems petty though I guess Yamakan has plenty of free time to explain how everyone else messed up. While Yamakan can now say anything he wants about the anime industry he seems to carry a lot of grudges which makes him an unreliable narrator. While I am skeptical about his version of the story given how entertaining it is Yamakan could become an author.

Megiddo wrote:
Well, at least 3 of the 7 seiyuu have gone on to have successful careers post-WUG.
That is good to hear and Yamakan even lashed out at some of the VAs back in 2017:

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2017-10-11/yamakan-lashes-out-at-wake-up-girls-cast-on-twitter/.122497
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
The rant against Millepensee seems petty though I guess Yamakan has plenty of free time to explain how everyone else messed up. While Yamakan can now say anything he wants about the anime industry he seems to carry a lot of grudges which makes him an unreliable narrator.

Props for coming up with a more polite way to describe Yamakan than I could have.

The old truism about "there's always one side, the other side, and the truth" can't simply be set aside, but there's just too much of a history for me to feel like Yamakan's version carries much, if any, weight. "Persecution complex" as Shiraishi says, is putting it very mildly.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:11 pm Reply with quote
So sad. (-_-, )
MCAL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Pretty impressive of Yanakan to get an interview to himself and still comes out looking awful.
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:09 am Reply with quote
I feel like this kind of thing probably goes on behind the scenes for a lot of anime.

There was an Answerman column once in the past couple of years that addressed the idea of badly animated shows being "low budget", and it basically said that no, all anime get the same budget, so... what then? If there's a show that doesn't look great, it must be because the animators are just bad at what they do? What about when there are two shows from the same studio that are vastly different in quality? Same directors, even...

A lot of other fans of "otome"-targeted/ikemen/bishounen anime have said that certain studios clearly do put those shows at a lower priority than bishoujo and shonen-targeted things. I hate that that happens, and I hate that audiences see bad animation and assume the story must be bad, and that fans must be stupid for liking it. Which is what everyone says about bishounen anime.

So, yeah, like... if Show A and Show B have the same stated production cost, that does not mean that they're starting on equal ground. All sorts of other things go on.

This Yamakan guy might have gotten that treatment because he was a pain to work with, which is a fair reason, but behind-the-scenes drama can happen for unfair reasons, too.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
#884745 wrote:
I feel like this kind of thing probably goes on behind the scenes for a lot of anime.

There was an Answerman column once in the past couple of years that addressed the idea of badly animated shows being "low budget", and it basically said that no, all anime get the same budget, so... what then? If there's a show that doesn't look great, it must be because the animators are just bad at what they do? What about when there are two shows from the same studio that are vastly different in quality? Same directors, even...

There's great post on Sakugablog that describes the horrible situation with Marchen Madchen production and I think the disscussed problems there could be applied to almost every "bad looking/animated" anime.

So yeah, budget usually means almost nothing - everything is tied to management/personnel and if it's great, than studios usually finish their work even before broadcast starts (like, ssss gridman, mob psycho 2)
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:49 pm Reply with quote
#884745 wrote:
I have occasionally seen people say that but I am skeptical of the idea that Dragon Ball Super, Attack on Titan, and Marchen Madchen all had the same per episode production budget. I think there is some business reason that people that work in the anime industry feel the need to say that all anime shows have the same production budget since logically that doesn't make sense. Anime isn't that different from other entertainment fields and whether a show has an audience size of 10 million, 1 million, or 100 thousand would make a difference in how much of a per episode production budget it would get.

dark_bozu wrote:
There's great post on Sakugablog that describes the horrible situation with Marchen Madchen production and I think the disscussed problems there could be applied to almost every "bad looking/animated" anime.
That article states that the Marchen Madchen production studio was offering very low rates even by the standards of the anime industry.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:16 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:

dark_bozu wrote:
That article states that the Marchen Madchen production studio was offering very low rates even by the standards of the anime industry.

This is obviously a conclusion, not a reason of bad quality. This article points huge amount of reasons, e.g. bad management and planning, which leads to abysmal working conditions. Also, the rates aren't tied to anime's budget. I mean, every studio has different environment and wage rates for animators and other staff. So yeah, budget of TV is almost the same in every situation and everything is tied to the staff and management. E.g., one punch man 1 was great not because of insane budget, but because director was able to gather an excellent team.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1