• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kenta Shinohara's Astra Lost in Space Wins 12th Manga Taisho Awards

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sekaro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:29 am Reply with quote
Very well-deserved Very Happy

Hopefully, the upcoming anime adaptation turns out well.
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:45 am Reply with quote
Great manga, the ending was... not so great though. I hope that the anime adds to it.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:21 am Reply with quote
I honestly didn't expect this. Sket Dance is a fun manga, but overall I think it's alright, not the type to stand out. I wonder if Shinohara sensei went for a different take for this title. I haven't got the chance to read it.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Huh, maybe I should take this as a sign and finally read Astra Lost in Space. It's been on and off my radar for awhile anyway Razz
alconnow_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I’m planning to read the manga at some point as I enjoyed Sket Dance. I just hope the romance (if there is any) is kept to a minimum. I hate romance. It ruins all the series I enjoy.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, if I remember correctly, I saw people saying that the MC in this pulls a "Sasuke/Sakura at the end of Shippuden" type deal...Laughing
Sekaro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:39 pm Reply with quote
alconnow_ wrote:
I’m planning to read the manga at some point as I enjoyed Sket Dance. I just hope the romance (if there is any) is kept to a minimum. I hate romance. It ruins all the series I enjoy.

Sorry to burst your bubble but there is plenty of romance to be had in this series. Just like Sket Dance, there will be pairings but you shouldn't let that stop you from seeing the themes and message that it wants to convey.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:02 am Reply with quote
Awesome! I own the whole series on Kindle and it's great! I love it, and it getting this award is definitely well deserved! I admit I haven't read Sket Dance so I'm not familiar with his other work, but I loved Astra. Here's hoping the upcoming anime adaptation is good, too!

Though I have to admit, how the hell do you pronounce Funicia and Quitterie's names?
lys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:35 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Though I have to admit, how the hell do you pronounce Funicia and Quitterie's names?

In Japanese the names are written out phonetically as "Funishia" and "Kitorii" (vowel sounds are about equivalent to Spanish), if that helps :)

It's such a great series. I think the shorter (but well-constructed) length gives it more impact than the lengthy Sket Dance, though I loved that one too. As a mostly-shoujo-manga reader, I didn't think there was THAT much romance, just enough to make things interesting (and believable--it would be weird not to have any with such a diverse group of young people). There are plenty of other relationship dynamics within the story besides just romantic ones, and the romantic elements are not dragged out or tedious.

On another train of thought, looking at the nomination lists always makes me curious about several of the other titles that were in the running!! It's nice that a handful of them are available in official translation here~
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1